UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Nov 2009, 12:05 pm   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question This may be a silly question, but......

......having printed a relacement dial scale onto an acetate, how do I attach it to, or transfer it to, the original glass scale plate of(in this case) a Ferranti U1015? In addition, do I also laminate the acetate sheet to the clear plastic one that came with it?
Old 10th Nov 2009, 12:50 pm   #2
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: This may be a silly question, but......

The best method is to sandwich the acetate sheet in between two pieces of thin glass. Picture glass is generally half the thickness of tuning scale glass, so this is ideal. The sandwich should be sealed around its edges with some thin strips of masking tape. This method prevents the acetate sheet from flexing as well as protecting it from heat from the lamp.
Neil
Old 10th Nov 2009, 12:50 pm   #3
FRANK.C
Heptode

When making a replacement dial for one which is broken. I usually print onto overhead projector film and attach it onto the dial glass with oil based varnish (water based varnish will destroy the print).
This method is slow drying and messy, but I find it gives good results. After a day or so you will find air bubbles between the film and glass. These can be removed by pushing them towards the edge of the dial and braking the seal at that point.

Frank
Old 10th Nov 2009, 12:54 pm   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Thanks, Frank. I presume this method will work with acetate, too.
Old 11th Nov 2009, 12:53 am   #5
FRANK.C
Heptode

I have never tried acetate, but as long as the varnish don't attack it, it should be OK.

I usually lay the glass across the open top of a cardboard box with plenty of newspapers underneath to catch any spills.
I generously coat the glass with varnish.
Starting at one end I lay the film on top trying not to trap any air under the film.
An eye needs to be kept on it for a while as the film can slide on the varnish and become off centered.
It will need to be left like this for a day or two until the varnish around the edge of the film hardens then any bubbles of air trapped inside can be pushed to one edge and the seal broken there to allow the air to escape.
I would usually leave it to set for a week or so before fitting into the radio, it will take several weeks for the all the varnish to harden, but there is no visual difference between what has hardened and not. Any spills of varnish on the front or sides of the glass can be scraped away with a Stanley blade when hardened.

It is quite a messy way in doing it but I feel it is worth it as the print is bonded onto the glass and that gives a slightly better image.

I don't know how long this method lasts. The first one that I have done would be over a year ago and it is still OK.

Frank
Old 11th Nov 2009, 8:11 am   #6
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK.C View Post
I have never tried acetate, but as long as the varnish don't attack it, it should be OK.
Frank
I thought overhead projector film *is* acetate.

That tends to be the generic term for them in my experience.

But I guess the answer is suck it and see!

Best of luck.

Regards

David
G4EBT
Old 11th Nov 2009, 10:40 am   #7
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Thanks to Neil, Frank, and David for your advice. As always members of this forum are very helpful, as I hope I am to others from time to time. The U1015 doesn't have a dial lamp, Neil, so no probs there, so I may just laminate it between the dial glass and a sheet of clear plastic.
Old 11th Nov 2009, 5:29 pm   #8
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK.C View Post
attach it onto the dial glass with oil based varnish (water based varnish will destroy the print).
True for inkjet prints, but other way around for laser prints.
Old 11th Nov 2009, 7:08 pm   #9
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Cheapo picture frame glass, from pound shops etc, is very thin and is idea for 'sandwiching'

David
Old 11th Nov 2009, 8:43 pm   #10
FRANK.C
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post

I thought overhead projector film *is* acetate.
It probably is. I heard of acetate but wasn't sure of what it was, I assumed that it was different to overhead projector film.

Frank
Old 11th Nov 2009, 10:17 pm   #11
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Some serious circumspection is called for if you're using a laser printer due to the heat of the fuse roller. I've seen them virtually written off by using the wrong film.
Alan
Old 12th Nov 2009, 11:17 am   #12
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I am using a HP Deskjet printer, so no problem with printing on acetate, but your advice, Alan, will no doubt help others.
Closed Thread