UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Aug 2009, 12:14 am   #1
james616
Retired Dormant Member

Default Getting rid of smokey smells

Just bought myself a new deck. A B&O TX2. Not quite as vintage as my braun (Which i managed to add a line in to using a 1:1 transformer, potential divider and on-on switch setup. Thanks for all the help with that in the past). The beo looks very sleak and sounds even better. Only problem is it came from a smoking household so it wiffs a little when i lift the lid. Anyone got any tips for removing the smell? There's brushed aluminium, plastic and rubber to contend with.
Old 5th Aug 2009, 12:59 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Getting rid of smokey smells

It will gradually get better with time. Giving it a good clean with foaming cleaner will help (I use Aldi PowerForce bathroom cleaner - don't use caustic kitchen cleaner.)

Paul
Old 5th Aug 2009, 2:07 am   #3
james616
Retired Dormant Member

Chears. Will try that asap ^-^
Old 5th Aug 2009, 11:59 am   #4
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Onions absorb all sorts of smells.

http://www.suite101.com/blog/oilsdra...dors_naturally
Old 5th Aug 2009, 12:08 pm   #5
GMB
Dekatron

I agree that a good clean is the starting point, and then just leave it in a ventilated place for a long time.

The fact that it smells tells you that it is venting the odour chemicals.

Quote:
Onions absorb all sorts of smells.
... except maybe onion smells? Bit of a two-edged sword I think, and not any faster than just leaving it to stand.
Closed Thread