UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jul 2009, 5:18 pm   #1
alanradio
Retired Dormant Member

Default Hi. New member renovating Roberts Radio cabinets.

Hello
I have recenlty purchased some old Roberts Radio's ( R300 / RIC1 / R505 ) am seeking advice and techniques on renovating them.

I have always appreciated the sound and look of Roberts radio however having taken the back off - I now realise the challenge.

The renovations required - so far - are just cosmetics, i.e. they are OK functionally.

For example I note the casing is made of wood - hence for example is it possible to get to the loudspeaker grills ? etc etc

I am really pleased to find this form - hence any guidance on renovation would be most welcome - even pointers were materials and parts can be found ??

In anticipation - many thanks

regards
Alan
Old 27th Jul 2009, 6:14 pm   #2
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Hi - ne member renovating Roberts Radio's

Hi Alan. The very first thing I do with any wooden cased radio is check for woodworm!

Dave
Old 27th Jul 2009, 8:32 pm   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Hi - ne member renovating Roberts Radio's

Hello Alan,

The R505 grille is just attached to the front of the set, held in place by the pieces of shiny trim immediately above and below it. Gently prise those away from the case and you should be able to remove the grille for any straightening / repainting etc.: I remember it being mentioned a while back that the Roberts spares department still had some new stock grilles for sale, I don't know whether that's still true. The RIC1 I think uses a similar arrangement, but it's a while since I've needed to remove the grille from one of those. To get at the R300 grille involves removing the chassis - two small screws on the underside of the cabinet retain the two wooden wedges that hold it in place - then negotiating the beastly clips used to retain the board that fits around the 'speaker. They have a name but I've forgotten it, and maybe someone somewhere even has a tool designed to deal with them

Never yet seen woodworm in a transistor Roberts and I've had a good many, there must be something about them that the little blighters don't like....

Regards,
Paul
Old 27th Jul 2009, 9:23 pm   #4
alanradio
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Hi. New member renovating Roberts Radio cabinets.

many thanks for the replies and guidance ( paul ), I'll have a go this weekend !
Closed Thread