UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jul 2009, 9:05 pm   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Circular Ekco radios - matching wooden stands?

I guess this will be a bit of a long shot, but I never fail to be surprised at what forum members come up with!

I seem to recall seeing (at one of the NVCF shows) a circular Ekco radio mounted on a matching wooden stand. I've done a search on t'internet and can't find any info, other than that there was indeed an optional stand, about 26.5" high, but I can't find a picture of one anywhere.

My son has asked me if I can make one for his A22, and I suppose I could design and make something that would suffice, but it would be nice to replicate the original design. (I think it was in oak, with slim legs, and a curved support to match the contours of the cabinet.

(Anyone got any ideas where I might find a pic, or better still the plans!)

Regards,

David
G4EBT
Old 18th Jul 2009, 11:45 pm   #2
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Circular Ekco radios - matching wooden stands?

It would be most likely made of beech . I think they were very dark brown or black colour.
Old 19th Jul 2009, 12:26 am   #3
wave solder
Hexode

The EKCO radio stand is quoted as being 26 1/2 " high. See attached picture, you should be able to work out the rough dimensions from it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ekco stand.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	27270  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 19th Jul 2009 at 8:37 am. Reason: unnecessary Zip file removed and replaced by thumbnail.
Old 19th Jul 2009, 7:55 am   #4
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

An expert on these things is Rob Chesters who has done a lot of research on Ekco cabinet and furniture design. He is not in the forum. I have an email address which I will PM to you. No guarantees that it still works.
Old 19th Jul 2009, 3:10 pm   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Thanks Jeffrey - I'll reply to your PM.

Presumably the stand and - Ekco cabinets of the day were - like the radios, designed by Welles Coates. Clever guy - an architect who knew enough about radio design to be able to design the circular Ekcos, with the speaker in the middle and the dial around the speaker. Neat eh? The A22 circular chassis is so easy to work on, too.

Regards,

David
G4EBT

Last edited by Station X; 19th Jul 2009 at 10:39 pm.
Old 19th Jul 2009, 3:15 pm   #6
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave solder View Post
The EKCO radio stand is quoted as being 26 1/2 " high. See attached picture, you should be able to work out the rough dimensions from it.
Thanks for reading my posting and taking the trouble to send the pic, which will be a great help.

I'd imagined that the legs were splayed out, as indeed they are - both sideways and front to back, to give the stand some stability. The prospect of an Ekco AC76, A22, etc, falling flat on its face doesn't bear thinking about!

Regards,

David,
G4EBT
Closed Thread