UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jul 2009, 12:20 am   #1
glowinganode
Octode

Default Blunt nails don't split wood

Hi all. Whilst doing some woodwork today, I had to nail and glue some thin sections. Sub conciously before starting the nail, I held it the wrong way round and blunted the point by hitting it with the hammer. I then proceeded to drive home the nails in the usual fasion, and indeed the wood did not split. I seem to remember being taught this trick, but I can't think where. Has anyone else heard of this, or am I going mad?
Old 15th Jul 2009, 12:37 am   #2
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Blunt nails don't split wood

I've not heard of this, but I can see why it would work. However, I usually pilot-drill the hole first if there is a risk of splitting, for peace of mind.

Brian
Old 15th Jul 2009, 2:51 am   #3
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

It is quite a common "trick".
A sharp nail pushes the fibres aside, thus risking spliting the wood, whereas, if blunt, it cuts the fibres.

A pilot hole still seems the safest way to me, particularly on something that has been, or is being, restored.
Old 15th Jul 2009, 8:55 am   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Yes - I was told that by our woodwork teacher in secondary school, and have done it ever since.
Old 15th Jul 2009, 4:38 pm   #5
Aerodyne
Octode

Take the example of flooring brads. These are tapered, rectangular in section and - crucially - blunt at the tip. Used to hold floorboarding in place, splitting would be disastrous as would happen with large normal nails, especially near board ends.
I don't recommend the use of flooring brads for radio cabinet repair...!
-Tony
Old 15th Jul 2009, 7:32 pm   #6
glowinganode
Octode

Thankyou for your replies. I did my training as a mech fitter, so maybe I remember this from school too. It's funny what the sub concious stores, I found myself reciting "eram, eras, erat, eramus, eratis, erant" the other day.
Going off thread a little (again), does anyone know of a supplier of imperial thickness ply in the UK?
Regards.
Old 15th Jul 2009, 10:17 pm   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowinganode View Post
It's funny what the sub concious stores, I found myself reciting "eram, eras, erat, eramus, eratis, erant" the other day.
I wonder what you were thinking of, doing that? Something arboreal perhaps?
Old 15th Jul 2009, 11:00 pm   #8
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Re blunting nails, I have always used this trick. I can not remember where I learnt it. John.
Old 16th Jul 2009, 9:10 am   #9
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

The comment in post #6 regarding going off thread has hit the nail on the head very nicely and the Moderators feel the blunt nail dodge has now been adequately brought to the our attention. The hammer is therefore now about to hit the Close button.
Closed Thread