UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jul 2009, 11:41 pm   #21
Oldtimer74
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Removal of radio knobs

I agree Plus Gas is a far better penetrant. I hope you are successful but if it has been stored a long time in the damp I`m afraid you have to expect a lot of trouble getting them off. Don`t try to drill out the grub screw unless you are absolutely certain it is not hardened steel. All that will happen is that you will blunt or break the drill and it will wander off centre and damage the knob.
Pat G3IKR
Old 19th Jul 2009, 7:43 am   #22
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default Re: Grubscrew removal

The radio in question is just another of those Little Maestro styled kit radios.
I think it is a clause in Sods Law specifically related to radio restoration that there's always one knob with a frozen grub screw.
I have not encountered any with steel grub screws yet. As the radio has not yet been delivered I will get some Plus Gas.
I wanted to treat all 3 screws with the stuff as old brass gets brittle, and I didn't want to damage the screws.
Old 19th Jul 2009, 8:38 am   #23
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Default Re: Grubscrew removal

After some discussion in the moderators' area we've decided that there are already enough threads on this subject, including the one in the archive to this section, to be found here;

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ight=grubscrew

This thread is therefore closed.

Regards,