UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jun 2009, 8:36 am   #1
John12868
Retired Dormant Member

Default Restoring the colour of a Bush TR82C

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any ideas or tips on restoring the pale blue colour of a Bush TR82C? Mine has changed to a pale cream colour.

Regards

John
Old 4th Jun 2009, 12:21 pm   #2
A. Koshkin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Restoring the colour of a Bush TR82C

It would help to see an image, but if the material has faded in the sun or gone through a chemical change, it is very difficult to reverse the reaction. The first thing I like to do to plastics on radios that I collect is clean them with a slightly wet cloth and allow them to dry before applying a silicon based product such as a leather polish or 'Armor All' car dashboard spray. The silicone spray often turns gray, worn out plastics to black and shiny again and restores original shade of color. You should judge for yourself however, and if you ever have a bad feeling about ruining your item, do more research before acting.

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 4th Jun 2009 at 12:28 pm. Reason: Italic font corrected.
Old 4th Jun 2009, 5:52 pm   #3
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John12868 View Post
Mine has changed to a pale cream colour.
Hi John,

I've never come across or heard of that happening to a TR82C before, if anything they tend to go a light olive green with exposure to sunlight.

Are you sure it is an actual colour change and not that someone has substituted the front and back panels from a TR82D which is cream to start with? Look inside and check the back and middle section of the case on the inside, what is the colour like there?

Posting some images of the set for us all to see would probably go a long way in determining if the colour has indeed faded or not.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk

Last edited by Robert Darwent; 4th Jun 2009 at 6:00 pm.
Old 4th Jun 2009, 6:12 pm   #4
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert G0UHF View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John12868 View Post
Mine has changed to a pale cream colour.
Hi John,

I've never come across or heard of that happening to a TR82C before, if anything they tend to go a light olive green with exposure to sunlight.
Let's hope not, but I guess it could be the cloth backing of the rexine showing through?

John, As mentioned above let's see some photos

David
Old 4th Jun 2009, 11:56 pm   #5
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert G0UHF View Post
...if anything they tend to go a light olive green with exposure to sunlight.
Let's hope not...
Hi David,

Well in my experience anyhow, and particularly with the set in this thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=32969

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 5th Jun 2009, 8:19 am   #6
John12868
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Guys,

I suppose a pale olive green may be a better description of the fading, it's certainly not the cream of the TR82D I have. They are the original panels, as where they have been scratched they are a lovely pale duck egg blue underneath. I think I'll try polishing them with brasso or T-Cut and see what happens.

I'll try to take some pics over the weekend and post here.

Regards

John
Closed Thread