UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jan 2020, 5:06 pm   #41
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Re-spraying record decks.

I recently tried the Benzyl Alcohol based stripper that was introduced as a 'green' alternative when traditional Nitromors etc. was outlawed. Now, I was expecting it - like most 'green' alternatives - to be about as much use as nipples on a fish - but to my surprise it actually worked OK.

[It does tend to dry out though: so I put the stripper-coated item-to-be-stripped into a Zip-loc bag for a few days].

I've also used Sodium Hydroxide successfully - though don't use it on aluminium or its alloys!

Alternatively, in the past I've had things bead- or soda-blasted: there's a local guy who refurbishes alloy classic car wheels: for the cost of a pint or two he'll pop my radio-chassis or similar in his cabinet when he's next doing a batch of 1960s Minilites.
Old 11th Jan 2020, 9:46 pm   #42
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Re-spraying record decks.

Thanks G6! I’ll give benzyl alcohol a whirl. Apprarently it needs to be in aqueous solution .....