UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Nov 2016, 8:09 pm   #21

Default Re: Immobile Woodscrews!

Using left hand drill bits (a great addition to ones toolbox) for screw extraction, handy hint, lots of pressure and a low speed.

Old 10th Nov 2016, 12:08 am   #22
Oldelectronics
Heptode

Hi David and the Philpot.Thanks to you both for the information great idea about the plug I had a bit of heart searching about what screw to use I do have From Wilcos some number 4. 5/8 countersunk brass screws I used brass plated cup washers similar to the original the screws I took out were number 4. 5/8 steel. In the end I went for number 6. 5/8 steel plated crosspoint as they are easy to get out and if I snap a brass screw head the resulting wear on the back trying to get it out outweighed the none originality of the screws which could be changed.The nostalga of the this type of equipment is particularly valid in this case as it was manufactured were I used to work. All be it about 16 years before I started work there. I got away with the draining board as I am allowed to use the one in the utility room!!!
Old 10th Nov 2016, 12:12 am   #23
Oldelectronics
Heptode

Hi Merlinmaxwell I think some left handed drill should be on my next visit to my local tool shop!!
Old 10th Nov 2016, 4:30 am   #24
Refugee
Dekatron

I bought a set of those and screws just stopped getting stuck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3586.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	132534  
Old 10th Nov 2016, 7:21 am   #25
Radio Wrangler

Left-hand thread screw removers are sometimes referred to as Ezy-outs from an old brand name. Their steel is as hard as pot and somewhat brittle. When trying to remove a stuck bolt, it isn't unusual to break one, leaving a bit of hardened steel stuck in the hole which no drill bit will cut. Often they solve your problem, but if they snap off, they vastly increase it. The long ones with a gentle taper are notorious for this. Spark eroder machines were invented to save the day in just this case.

Dave posted a link to a plug cutter. For things like plug cutters, router bits etc, Trend is pretty much the best make.

For cleaning up screw slots and cutting them a bit deeper, the end of a hacksaw blade makes a good hand tool for scraping the slot deeper. You just use the end couple of teeth. If those teeth wear, grind a bit off the blade to use the next ones.

If you have a drill press, you can mount a screwdriver bit in the chuck, and with the motor unplugged turn the chuck by hand. The press lets you apply plenty of down-force and keeps the driver vertical and prevents it wandering and sliding out. It's a good way to start threading taps accurately vertical. Many taps have centre dimples at the top, and a pointed bit of steel in the chuck aligns them as you turn a normal tap wrench.

Heat is good for freeing seized things, where you can use it. Differential expansion is very powerful for craacking the initial seal.

WD40 does not much at all.

A proper penetrating oil provides lubrication for rusted threads for after the initial seal has been broken and reduces stripping and galling effects.

when grinding a screwdriver blade, you can use the curvature of the grinding wheel to make a 'hollow-ground' profile so the blade is not tapered at the part which touches the screw, so they don't cam out.

Also, a screwdriver bit in a carpenter's brace lets you apply pressure and a lot of torque with a lot more control than a power screwdriver/drill.

David
Old 10th Nov 2016, 10:46 am   #26
stevehertz
Dekatron

Some good points there David. And if the resultant hole has been enlarged by the procedure, then assuming we're talking about wood, using white wood glue I glue in some lengths of toothpick to fill the hole up. When dry, chisel the surface flat and re-drill a small pilot hole for the new screw.
Old 10th Nov 2016, 11:34 am   #27
Refugee
Dekatron

For extreme over size holes I have been known to use a mixture of builders sand and epoxy as a filler. Brick dust collected from cutting during wall building is another useful filler for finer work.
The fixture is permanent without applying a lot of heat to the screw to get it out again.
This works well on Victorian brick walls.
Old 10th Nov 2016, 12:08 pm   #28
emeritus
Dekatron

I have used "Insert Nuts" ( external woodscrew thread, internal macine screw thread) to allow the use of raised countersunk 4BA screws to replace damaged correspondingly-sized woodscrews in relatively thin wood, but such inserts are difficult to find in small sizes. You can get ones for M6 screws from the likes of Screwfix ( £2.35 for 50 , M6 x 13mm deep), and I have used them for smaller screws by putting a cut-down plastic Rawlplug in the M6 bore and screwing a machine screw or woodscrew into that. I haven't tried it, but I see that there are metal plasterboard anchors that might be suitable. You could form the thread for the screw before fitting the anchor toavoid the need for excessive force on a thin wood panel.
Old 10th Nov 2016, 12:18 pm   #29
ms660
Dekatron

I've not tried plasterboard curly whirlies in solid timber but I have used them in plywood, they worked ok.

Lawrence.
Old 10th Nov 2016, 3:07 pm   #30
The Philpott
Dekatron

Just reminded me, i have had a certain amount of success with seized screws by nipping the shaft of the s/driver at the far end with mole grips/self grip wrench. The amount of twist in the average screwdriver shaft is surprising- they act as a torsion bar- ie exactly what you DON'T need
Old 10th Nov 2016, 4:12 pm   #31
Station X

I agree, but I've seen the opposite view put forward!

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 10th Nov 2016, 6:07 pm   #32
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Left-hand thread screw removers are sometimes referred to as Ezy-outs from an old brand name. Their steel is as hard as pot and somewhat brittle. When trying to remove a stuck bolt, it isn't unusual to break one, leaving a bit of hardened steel stuck in the hole which no drill bit will cut. David
Quite so.

From the 'Mechanics Glossary of Terms':

E-ZEE OUT BOLT AND STUD EXTRACTOR: A tool ten times harder than any
known drill bit that snaps off in bolt holes that you couldn't use anyway.

MOLE-GRIPS: Used to round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available,
they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your
hand.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads.

CRAFTSMAN 1/2 x 16-INCH SCREWDRIVER: A large crow-bar that inexplicably
has an accurately machined screwdriver tip on the end opposite from the
handle.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the lids of old-style
paper-and-tin oil cans and splash oil on your shirt; but can also be
used, as the name implies, to strip off Phillips screw heads.

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, nowadays the hammer
used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts not
far from the object we are trying to hit.

ELECTRIC HAND DRILL: Normally used for spinning pop rivets in their holes
until you die of old age.

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight, which
somehow eases the pains and indignities that follow our every
deficiency.

A well trodden path we've all journeyed along!
Old 10th Nov 2016, 6:33 pm   #33
Oldelectronics
Heptode

Excellent David and could be very true!!
Old 10th Nov 2016, 6:41 pm   #34
emeritus
Dekatron

The way to use extractors of the E-ZEE OUT type is to treat them gently. I have managed to release the sheared-off remains of steel bolts from steel car suspension members by, after drilling a hole in the remains, flooding the area with a highly searching solvent such as petrol lighter fluid or Plus-Gas, and see-sawing the extractor to and fro, using a tap wrench. The fluid turns rusty as rust is pumped out of the bore by the see-saw action, and repeated flushing with fresh solvent eventually allowed the remains to be screwed out. As steel is not infinitely rigid, at first there is only movement between bolt and bore at the top of the bore, but as more rust is pumped out, so the solvent can penetrate further. Just applying brute force in an attempt to get the entire length of broken stud out at one go without using solvent will not normally be successful. It helps if the item can be arranged with the surface with the broken bolt lying horizontal so that the solvent stays put.
Old 12th Nov 2016, 1:31 am   #35
Oldcodger
Nonode

Just seen this, and I'd echo the warning on E-ZEE OUTS. But there is another method of wood screw removal . JMB were advertising it on TV for a while, but TOOL STATION also do a kit
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p387...CREW%20REMOVAL

although I've not had much success with this. Possibly as I was trying to take out screws into wall plugs. In theend I found that using a blunt drill melted the plastic plug and the screws could be prised out.
Old 12th Nov 2016, 3:19 am   #36
Refugee
Dekatron

That looks like the kit I showed in post#24.
Old 12th Nov 2016, 7:43 am   #37
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
It's not just a question of the torque bar effect, it's the fact that the 'driving edges' of the screwdriver head start to lose their 90 degree angle wrt the screw slot, thus lessing their ability to 'bite', and tending for the screwdriver to rise up and out of the slot. For that reason I would never use a screwdriver that flexes along its length on a seized screw, and similarly I would apply mole grips as near as I could to the screwdriver head, not on the handle end. I don't see any advantage in using a flexy screwdriver at all.
Old 12th Nov 2016, 8:58 am   #38
ms660
Dekatron

For screws stuck in a rawlplug just use a claw hammer and a batten, that'll pull the screw and the plug out together.

Lawrence.
Old 12th Nov 2016, 9:43 am   #39
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
It's not just a question of the torque bar effect, it's the fact that the 'driving edges' of the screwdriver head start to lose their 90 degree angle wrt the screw slot, thus lessing their ability to 'bite', and tending for the screwdriver to rise up and out of the slot. For that reason I would never use a screwdriver that flexes along its length on a seized screw, and similarly I would apply mole grips as near as I could to the screwdriver head, not on the handle end. I don't see any advantage in using a flexy screwdriver at all.
One advantage of a long screwdriver is the fact that a small radial displacement of the handle, which inevitably occurs when rotating the handle, results in less angular displacement when compared to a short screwdriver.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 12th Nov 2016, 1:44 pm   #40
kalee20
Dekatron

With brass screws, definitely a hot soldering iron!

You can tin the head with a good blob of solder, which will help heat transfer into the screw. And you can keep the iron pumping heat down as you wield the screwdriver.

Steel screws don't conduct heat anything like as well down the shaft, but it might still be worth a go.
Closed Thread