UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Dec 2016, 2:56 pm   #81
unitaudio
Heptode

Default Re: Re-veneering a hifi receiver

Thanks for that. Plastic Wood seems the answer to many people's prayers but obviously having read that, it's not as straightforward as might reasonably be imagined. If however, the pitfalls aren't insurmountable, it's as well to know how to get round them.

Regards,
Paul
Old 12th Feb 2017, 3:23 pm   #82
stevehertz
Dekatron

Although the re-veneering of the cabinet was pretty much finished, there was one remaining small job to undertake. The veneer on the side panels covered the case’s four mounting holes through which the case is bolted to the receiver’s metal chassis. Obviously the veneer had to be removed from those areas to reinstate the holes. By tapping in the appropriate area I could hear the hollow sound of where the holes were and I was able to bodge a fine awl through the veneer to make an initial hole and see exactly where I was. I then widened the hole with a drill just enough to start work with my Dremel. I’ve recently bought a flexible shaft attachment for the Dremel and offering better grip and control, I decided to try it out on this job. When using the flexible shaft Dremel state that the drill itself should be elevated with the flexible shaft hanging downwards. They do make a bench mounted jig for this purpose but not having one I improvised by hanging it from a high level window lever – it worked perfectly. The first tool to be used was a small milling tool that I used to carefully widen the hole to be near to but not quite as big as the original one. Luck was then on my side because a small drum shaped sanding tool was only just a tad smaller than the final size that I required, thus making it easier to get a nice smooth edge of the correct diameter that didn’t look amateurishly ‘nibbled’ at. And yes, it was much easier using the flexible shaft adapter than the rather thick, heavy and difficult to hold Dremel tool itself. I finally scraped some remaining fine shreds of lacquer burr off the inside edges of the holes using the proverbial fingernail. Although I haven’t finished working on the chassis (one of many projects – and not all hobby related – that I have to do, you know how it is..) I thought it was best for storage purposes to refit the chassis into its case and store it away until I can find time for the next round of work. Oh, I'll dab some dark wood dye onto the inner edges of the mounting holes that are now freshly exposed, pale plywood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010079.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	137503   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010077.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	137504   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010078.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	137505  
Old 12th Feb 2017, 4:05 pm   #83
Radio Wrangler

I use those Dremel sanding cylinders, but I don't have the matching dremel tool, so I use an industrial Desoutter with collets for that shaft size. Unfortunately it's a compressed air driven turbine and without care over the air pressure, the off load revs can climb high enough for the enery cloth cylinder to burst under centripetal forces. It's good, though and sounds like a dentist's drill on steroids.

Glad it's coming along. with a bit of luck, I may get a preamp to go with my tuner and then I think I'll make matching oak sidecheeks to make the pair look similar. So I hope o be doing a bit of fine-grade finishing fairly soon.

David
Old 12th Feb 2017, 4:33 pm   #84
stevehertz
Dekatron

Good stuff David.
Old 14th Feb 2017, 9:07 pm   #85
stevehertz
Dekatron

I've now put it all back together as a working set. At some time in the future I need to address the chrome surround to the dial scale where a previous owner has rubbed off the chrome finish either by using a polish that is too aggressive or simply doing it too often. But for now I'm more than happy with the results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010081.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	137676   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010082.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	137677   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010084.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	137678  
Old 14th Feb 2017, 10:29 pm   #86
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Very nice indeed! The veneer you have used is lovely, and I really didn't notice the chrome trim!

Regards,
Lloyd

Last edited by Lloyd 1985; 14th Feb 2017 at 10:30 pm. Reason: Hadn't finished before hitting post!
Old 14th Feb 2017, 10:44 pm   #87
unitaudio
Heptode

Looks good for another 40 years now. Receivers in the 70's were very often built like battleships. That's why I love them!

Great work, great result.

Regards,
Paul
Old 14th Feb 2017, 11:29 pm   #88
audiomagpie
Heptode

Great post and a great result. I've also got a passion for 70's receivers and have 9 in my collection!

BVWS committee chairman
Old 14th Feb 2017, 11:41 pm   #89
Reelman
Octode

That looks very good indeed Steve.
BTW I haven't forgotten about the scan of the Tandy catalogue for you.
Cheers,
Peter
Old 15th Feb 2017, 7:14 am   #90
stevehertz
Dekatron

Thanks guys, and hopefully the stuff I've learnt in doing the job - and documented here - can help someone else. Re-veneering the cab did seem a daunting task, but like a lot of these jobs, once you get down to it, it's just a series of procedures. The main thing is thinking the job through, making sure that each step is performed at the right time chronologically to avoid problems later. For example in this case, leaving the top panel until last and leaving a small un-veneered strip at the front so that the case would still slip inside the front panel extrusion etc. Cheers.