UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jul 2009, 1:04 pm   #1
TimBimota
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ekco stands

Im not sure which sub group this in but here goes. I have seen people selling of the original and repro stands occasionally online for the 30s Ekcos. Now I have been told that on average they add £500 to the cost of a good radio (though ones have gone for cheaper ammounts) It occured to me that as they are so rare maybe I could get a relative who is good at woodworking to knock one up. the effect of showing the radio would be preserved and the authenticity isnt that important to me. Are there plans and dimensions available? Has anyone every taken measurments?
Old 31st Jul 2009, 1:25 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Ekco stands

We've recently had this thread concerning stands for the round Ekco series.

Obviously these stands varied; that for the AC85, for example, was a lower rectangular effort.

Unless someone owns a stand and can take measurements, it shouldn't be too difficult to approximate them from a picture of one complete with radio as radio dimensions are easy to obtain.
Old 1st Aug 2009, 12:57 am   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Ekco stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren-UK View Post
We've recently had this thread concerning stands for the round Ekco series.

Obviously these stands varied; that for the AC85, for example, was a lower rectangular effort.

Unless someone owns a stand and can take measurements, it shouldn't be too difficult to approximate them from a picture of one complete with radio as radio dimensions are easy to obtain.
The pic was excellent - it's not diffuclt to scale the measurements, from knowing the height was 26.5".

Since my earlier posting, I've discovered that in 1935, the original price for the stand (for the AD76) was an extra £1-5shillings! Both my son and I have an A22 (in fact he has two!) and I have mixed thoughts about making a stand, which he's asked me to do. The stand is 26.5" high, and even with splayed out legs, with a an A22 perched on top - which is quite heavy - I wonder if it would be rather too vulnerable.

The consequences of it toppling over don't bear thinking about!

I did see on at the NCVF a couple of years or so ago, and wished I'd taken a bit more notice of it. I'd have liked to have known if the front and back of the stand (which are contoured anyway, to follow the lines of the radio) are routed out to the contour of the case, or whether the feet of the radio are on a shelf on the stand. I see there's a shelf beneath the radio - perhaps for a copy of the Radio Times?

Oak, beech or ash would all be ok, but I suspect that as has been said, the original was probably beech, as so much furniture was back then. (It's closer grained than oak).

Regards,

David.
G4EBT
Closed Thread