UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Mar 2020, 8:53 pm   #1
kestrelmusic
Hexode

Default Cleaning Ebonite

I am using some of my enforced leisure time in finishing off various projects. On of these is restoring a late 1920s baseboard set with an ebonite front panel. Unfortunately the panel is pretty manky - I think it was stored in a damp shed before I got it - and I'm not sure what best to use to clean it. I have some "polishing paste No 5" which is meant for cleaning Bakelite - might this be OK or will it be too abrasive?

Last edited by kestrelmusic; 29th Mar 2020 at 9:12 pm.
Old 30th Mar 2020, 12:30 am   #2
fetteler
Octode

Default Re: Cleaning Ebonite

I have an ebonite flute which had gone a sort of olive green ish colour and it responded well to treatment with very fine wire wool followed by Brasso. Came up nice and black again. That was years ago!
Steve.
Old 30th Mar 2020, 4:35 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Whatever you do, don't use a cleaner that is likely to leave any sort of conductive film on the surface.

In the 1920s, one manufacturer of Ebonite developed a production method involving a thin film of tinfoil applied to the side of the panel that was meant to be visible. When peeled-off the foil left a wonderfully-shiny surface which didn't need to be polished.

Alas it also left an invisible semi-conductive film on the highly-polished surface.....
Old 30th Mar 2020, 7:09 pm   #4
Reelman
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Whatever you do, don't use a cleaner that is likely to leave any sort of conductive film on the surface.

In the 1920s, one manufacturer of Ebonite developed a production method involving a thin film of tinfoil applied to the side of the panel that was meant to be visible. When peeled-off the foil left a wonderfully-shiny surface which didn't need to be polished.

Alas it also left an invisible semi-conductive film on the highly-polished surface.....
It’s good to see that some one else remembers Practical Wireless articles from the 60s...... see page 654 of January 1967 where this was mentioned.
“Set manufacturing in the 20s”

Peter
Closed Thread