UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Oct 2010, 10:05 am   #1
dallaslaff
Pentode

Default Speaker re-cone - Best adhesive?

Hi, What is/are the best adhesive/s to use for speaker re-coning. I'm looking at repairing a Bose speaker for a friend, and wondered what the best glues to use for regluing the dust cap and braid exits (looks like a black mastic) and for gluing the cone edge to the frame. My friend has acquired a cone replacement kit (Cone, coil, dust cap and shim) but no glue is included. I've mended ripped cones with pva before, this will be the first time I've attempted a re-cone. Any help appreciated!
Les
Old 13th Oct 2010, 2:32 pm   #2
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Speaker re-cone - Best adhesive?

I have just used PVA for re-attaching a dust cap after realigning a voice coil. My thinking was that it sticks to most things, it is clear when dry, and retains a little flexibility. Downside is that it is water-based so there is the potential for corroding the wires.
Old 13th Oct 2010, 2:49 pm   #3
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

PVA as above but don't get it on the cone or the suspension.
Old 13th Oct 2010, 7:47 pm   #4
threeseven
Octode

There is an archival grade of PVA which is used for book binding. This is stable over a considerable period of time and will not affect the materials it is used on. That is the type I would recommend.
Old 13th Oct 2010, 8:54 pm   #5
m0cemdave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaslaff View Post
Hi, What is/are the best adhesive/s to use for speaker re-coning. I'm looking at repairing a Bose speaker for a friend, and wondered what the best glues to use for regluing the dust cap and braid exits (looks like a black mastic) and for gluing the cone edge to the frame. My friend has acquired a cone replacement kit (Cone, coil, dust cap and shim) but no glue is included. I've mended ripped cones with pva before, this will be the first time I've attempted a re-cone. Any help appreciated!
Les
When I used to recone speakers professionally, we normally used contact adhesive for the spider and surround - Evo-stick or similar. It's basically rubber dissolved in a solvent and was the same as that supplied in some recone kits.

We also used to keep a stock of a black coloured version, supplied by Bostik, for gluing the dust domes on some models, but this was only to preserve the original appearance.

Careful cleaning of the frame surfaces with a scraper is necessary and you will probably need to use a solvent to remove the original glue. We used Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Horrid stuff, use it only in a very well ventilated area.

Be absolutely sure to orient the lead-in wires in the correct position when fitting the new cone ...
Old 14th Oct 2010, 10:27 am   #6
dallaslaff
Pentode

Thank you for the information chaps, so there is not a "special" glue? I've looked at a couple of Re-coning videos on youtube since first posting. None of them name the adhesives used directly, one shows several different glues which could well be PVA and a thick rubbery Bostic type being used to repair a 12" Peavey speaker. I'd always thought that a pitch like substance was used. Thanks again for the replies so far. Links to Youtube repair videos below.
Les

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC3lr...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxGswEB3O_Q
Old 14th Oct 2010, 7:32 pm   #7
McMurdo
Dekatron

Different manufacturers will recommend different things. For the dustcap, alot will recommend flexible cynoacrylate with an activator (Loctite Blacktack) or black 2-part epoxy (araldite with a colourant, epoxy art paint or laser toner at a push).

JBL for example supply a single tube for reconing the complete speaker including the surround and cap. This is a very thin jet black glue that resembles a very runny silicone sealant and sets like hard elastic.
Old 14th Oct 2010, 8:30 pm   #8
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

This one is terrific.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW7xu...eature=related
Old 14th Oct 2010, 9:18 pm   #9
amp_mangler
Retired Dormant Member

Gday Les,
I always use "acrylic contact" it sticks extremely well, and I have been told by some professional speaker repairers thats what they use. its water based and dries clear, plus you get about 10 mins working time. apply with a small or teimmed down paint brush. use EXREMELY sparingly.
I dont know if you have Selleys products there, however thats the only brand available here in Australia

Joe
Old 17th Oct 2010, 1:58 pm   #10
dallaslaff
Pentode

G'day Joe, thanks for the response. I've checked the Selley's name, but it must be an Aussie business.
I've decided to use Evo-stik for the spider and cone edge and PVA for the dust cap. Thinking about it logically, none of the joints are subject to any great stress, so anything that "sticks" well and dries would fit the bill.
Thanks all for your help and advise.

Last edited by dallaslaff; 17th Oct 2010 at 1:59 pm. Reason: Spelling
Closed Thread