UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Mar 2004, 8:30 pm   #41
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: New LW Station 252

RTE1 ok during the day here at home on the outskirts of Bristol. But at night it suffers some background noise from telly's etc plus another station in the background. (Our Algerian friend) I am sure the transmitter reduces power from 500 down to 100Kw's after dark.
But saying that I am listening to it on my original Bush TR130 and it is not to bad. Last night I found their medium wave signal on 567Khz much clearer!
Yesterday I also tried the 252Khz signal at work using my small Roberts walkman radio. It is totally drowned out by noise in our building and when walking around the city centre it was very patchy and often completely buried by the noise.
I did a little survey on Long wave reception comparing RTE1 and Radio 4. I shall add this to the " Everything else " forum.
Old 18th Mar 2004, 8:51 pm   #42
Will_Scarlett
Retired Dormant Member

The new LW transmitter of RTE1 on 252 is a very welcome addition. I'm located near York and it is a fair bit weaker here than the MW transmitter, but luckily it is much clearer and easier to copy. Currently, I'm using a Bush VHF62 receiver that I'm restoring with a bit of wire about 100ft long.

The EM81 magic eye tuner on the Bush shows much more deflection (more uV) on medium wave, but sadly the signal is virtually unreadable thanks to some local interference, which I think is yet another (new) noisy TV with a crappy switch-mode PSU. The noise could also be " electronic transformers " used for LV halogen kitchen lights, which in my experience are a real problem. So much for CE standards!

Old 18th Mar 2004, 10:19 pm   #43
paulsherwin

Quote:
RTE1 ok during the day here at home on the outskirts of Bristol. But at night it suffers some background noise from telly's etc plus another station in the background. (Our Algerian friend) I am sure the transmitter reduces power from 500 down to 100Kw's after dark.
They do indeed drop to 100KW at some stage in the evening. I found the evening signal quite good, but certainly very vulnerable to TV interference. There's also a problem with heterodyne whistles if the radio has poor selectivity. The Algerian station is easy to null out here though, and isn't too strong anyway.

Of course, RTE1 is offering wall-to-wall coverage of the Cheltenham horse racing at the moment - this isn't the normal programme mix.

Best regards. Paul

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 29th Dec 2004 at 12:59 pm.
Old 18th Mar 2004, 10:27 pm   #44
paulsherwin

Quote:
I tried tuning in in the car on the way to work today (on the A40 between Ross on Wye and Gloucester). Although the seek on the radio found the station, there was too much interference from the ignition to make it worth listening to. I get no such interference on Radio 4 LW, so the signal strength on 252 must be a lot lower in this area.
Not exactly surprising that Paul!

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...3&tl=Droitwich
I'm suprised you can't hear R4 LW on your kitchen kettle where you live

Best regards, Paul

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 29th Dec 2004 at 12:59 pm.
Old 19th Mar 2004, 9:12 am   #45
Steve_Johnson
Retired Dormant Member

I'm down on the south coast, opposite the Isle of Wight. I tried it on a number of different radios and it is the same across all of them. Fairly clear, but adjacent interference from the Algerian station.

Bit like listening to Luxembourg in the old days

Steve J
Old 19th Mar 2004, 8:49 pm   #46
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Not exactly surprising that Paul!

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...3&tl=Droitwich
I'm suprised you can't hear R4 LW on your kitchen kettle where you live

Best regards, Paul
I know! The Malvern Hills do attenuate R4 LW somewhat though.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 29th Dec 2004 at 1:00 pm.
Old 20th Mar 2004, 8:08 pm   #47
jjl
Octode

Just tuned in at 6:30 p.m. on my modern Fairhaven receiver.
The result from Brighton is a strong signal with no fading; S9+10 using a long wire. There is a bit of interference from another station, presumably the Algerian station others have mentioned.
I'll try a vintage set next.

John
Old 20th Mar 2004, 8:34 pm   #48
TrevorM6TSE
Heptode

Been in the car in Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and West and South Yorks over the last two days and it's a strong signal everywhere I've been. Reasonably clear considering the modern PLL digital radio in the car!!
Old 20th Mar 2004, 10:23 pm   #49
Tim
Dekatron

Received loud and clear today in Wiltshire with a Bush AC34 on test, (using internal loop aerial) around about 1200metres.
Altitude 500ft. Also good on the kitchen TR82C.
Tim
Old 22nd Mar 2004, 11:04 am   #50
Bob_Moss
Pentode

Spent Saturday night listening to RTE1 on a 1952 Ekco U199. This had been languishing in the loft for 10 years and ran up sraight away after the Variac treatment.

Reception of RTE1 in Mansfield on the Ekco's internal frame aerial was excellent.

By the way, I think TV's output at the weekend is a deliberate campaign to get us to switch off and fix more wirelesses
Old 26th Mar 2004, 8:23 pm   #51
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I agree totally with Bobs comments on tv these days.
Returning to subject I tried RTE1 on 252 using my HMV1124 which is still in peices whilst I get the cabinet sorted. Using just a few feet of wire connected to the chassis RTE1 comes in loud and clear.
On my Bush vhf61 with its internal aerial although R4 is good RTE1 on 252Khz is much fainter. I suppose this means possible capacitor or alignment fault
Closed Thread