UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Oct 2005, 11:24 pm   #1
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Dynatron and GEC - Follow-up chat :)

The following discussion was split from this offer thread https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=5734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Doctor
It was in the doctors mess of the Eastern General Hospital, Edinburgh till then (where I worked in 1992). Full story available if anyone interested.
Are you a medical doctor (as well as the Radio_Doctor), Kneale?

Nick.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 1st Nov 2005 at 12:56 am.
Old 31st Oct 2005, 11:33 pm   #2
Radio_Doctor
Pentode

Default Re: Dynatron and GEC

Yes - I was a Senior House Officer at EGH at the time. Always had my eye on the GEC but was told I couldn't have it. One evening after a shift I came out and found it on the top of a skip. It came home with me.

I remember being upset that the management wouldn't give me it (the mess was being refurbished), then it was thrown out. All seems a little trivial now.

The GEC has seen 3 house moves and been in storage twice. I have I guess 200 radios, it just never get to the top of the list.

Kneale
Old 31st Oct 2005, 11:45 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Hope you find a good home for your radios, Kneale.

There's a nice photo of a GEC set like yours on Duke Nukem's site here: http://www.thevalvepage.com/radios/gec/gec4040/gec4040.htm

A lovely set, with quite an American feel to it, apparently just pre-war. Shame I don't live in Norwich

Quote:
Yes - I was a Senior House Officer at EGH at the time.
Very interesting, glad I'm not the only medical person here

Quote:
Always had my eye on the GEC but was told I couldn't have it. One evening after a shift I came out and found it on the top of a skip. It came home with me.
I had a similar experience with some lovely 1950s Bakelite clocks from the Birmingham General Hospital, which was being closed and re-modelled to become the Childrens' Hospital.

The clocks were up on the wall in a long-abandoned kitchen area that hadn't seen any cooking for several decades by the look of it. When everyone had moved out and before the demolition crew moved in, I asked the security guards whether I could have them. I was told that they were surplus to requirements, and yes, they would probably be destroyed when the building was taken down, but no, I couldn't have them because of "the rules"

I made a fuss, and was virtually frog-marched to a room full of old ladies (the Friends of the hospital, apparently). I told them my story and they obviously thought I was mad. But they said I could have them "for a donation". I gave them a fiver (seemed like a lot to a 3rd year student!) and I still have them to this day.

I had to stand on a rickety old trolley to get them down, which was dangerous enough (no brakes).

I assumed that their supply had been disconnected as they were both "stuck" at the same time, and having no tools, had to just rip the wires out of the clock connectors that supplied their power.

The sparks that followed made me say something quite rude. Of course, I hadn't realised that they were manual-start clocks, and so could quite easily appear lifeless even though their mains supply was present

Nick.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 1st Nov 2005 at 12:02 am.
Old 1st Nov 2005, 12:39 am   #4
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist
I assumed that their supply had been disconnected as they were both "stuck" at the same time, and having no tools, had to just rip the wires out of the clock connectors that supplied their power.

The sparks that followed made me say something quite rude. Of course, I hadn't realised that they were manual-start clocks, and so could quite easily appear lifeless even though their mains supply was present

Nick.
Been there done that

anyway Kneale can you put up a pic of the GEC i could be interested
thanks
Jay
Old 1st Nov 2005, 12:53 am   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Although most interesting, this is drifting seriously OT. Rather than closing it, I will attempt to split it.......

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 1st Nov 2005, 12:56 am   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Dynatron and GEC - Follow-up chat :)

Done!

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread