UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2005, 3:19 pm   #1
Roy Nichols
Triode

Default Rare deco radiogram or gaudy redo

Is this radiogram a real 1936 GEC or a gussied up redo? I've never seen one quite like it. Here in the states mirrored deco items from the '30/'40s were available but not quite so bold. This is an interesting rig but did it originally come this way? Opinions?

http://i15.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/3d/1f/2e_1_b.JPG

http://i15.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/3d/1f/60_1_b.JPG

Here's the ebay.uk item: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MODERNIST-ART-...QQcmdZViewItem

Regards,

Roy
Old 24th Oct 2005, 4:32 pm   #2
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: Rare deco radiogram or gaudy redo

Yuck!

I doubt is is anywhere near original (well, as the manfacturer intended)

It sure is a one off now though......

Im off to find a bucket to throw up in.....

Cheers
Sean
Old 24th Oct 2005, 4:50 pm   #3
Station X

Quote:
Im off to find a bucket to throw up in.....
Well. The sellers eBay Shop name is "KITSCH U LIKE", which I'm sure is meant tongue in cheek.

For some people "The Birdie Song" is the height of sophistication.

Graham.
Old 24th Oct 2005, 5:16 pm   #4
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ecy
I'm off to find a bucket to throw up in.....
Make it a big one If you had the set, you could watch yourself filling the bucket

What can we see in the mirrors? An unusual looking black chair and a rather large doll?
Old 24th Oct 2005, 5:49 pm   #5
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

On reflection, ( ) This idea could be attractive to compulsive radiogram collectors, Just buy a load of stick on mirror tiles and you can create the illusion of having more space where none exists , A carefully placed candle could also cut your lighting bill.... .

Regards, Mick.
Old 24th Oct 2005, 6:10 pm   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin
Make it a big one If you had the set, you could watch yourself filling the bucket

What can we see in the mirrors? An unusual looking black chair and a rather large doll?
I wondered where Susie had got to
Seriously, though, It probably started off as a Decca, but is definitely not original as it stands.
Old 24th Oct 2005, 10:32 pm   #7
Roy Nichols
Triode

I'm glad to hear you all feel the same way I did about this gem. My first thought was to look for a disco ball and John Travolta but then wondered if in fact it was authentic. Since most of the UK set's I've come across are rather attractive I couldn't imagine this piece was original but didn't want to start a transatlantic feud by running it down. This radio reminds me of a US trend where it was in vogue to modernize old radios and furniture by painting them black or white or green or better yet cover it with ugly contact paper. People called it "antiquing" and "shabby chic" or some other equally revolting term. I just called it ugly!

The items reflected in the mirrors certainly give a clue about the type of people who would find this radio attractive. Lifesize doll and fur rug with a mirrored radio? Hmm, sure leaves little to the imagination. Maybe the mirrors were leftover bits from readoing their bedroom. It makes a person wonder.

Regards,

Roy
Old 24th Oct 2005, 10:54 pm   #8
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

In the 1960s the hippy generation painted radios (and other things) in all sorts of trendy colours. We also put hardboard over nice panelled doors (thankyou Barry Bucknell). Hardly surprising if somebody tried mirrors. I wonder if it's a genuine 1960s job or a retro effect. Covers up all the woodworm holes
Old 25th Oct 2005, 3:38 pm   #9
peter_scott
Dekatron

You have to admit, it's very well done. As to the seller he or she is honest and up front in their headline:

WE PUT THE CHIC INTO TONGUE IN CHEEK.UNUSUAL RETRO AND KITSCH INSPIRED GIFTS TO DELIGHT AND AMUSE YOUNG AND OLD FROM AROUND THE WORLD.SOME OF IT IS OLD BUT MOST OF IT,S NEW, WE HUNTED HIGH AND LOW FOR IT AND NOW WE BRING IT TO YOU.ENJOY MORE AT KITSCH U LIKE 151-152 FORE ST.EXETER.DEVON.UK.EX4 3AT

Seems to bear a passing resemblence to the attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEC.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1791  

Last edited by peter_scott; 25th Oct 2005 at 4:03 pm.
Old 25th Oct 2005, 7:06 pm   #10
paulsherwin

Roy, I can't think of *any* 1930s British radios or radiograms that look like this. The woodies tend to be subdued and even drab, especially in comparison with American radios of the same period. Brits liked their big radios to look like pieces of sensible furniture at that time, an attitude that persisted until the end of the 50s. Many of the cabinets were made by furniture manufacturers.

Best regards, Paul
Old 25th Oct 2005, 7:11 pm   #11
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_scott
You have to admit, it's very well done. Seems to bear a passing resemblence to the attached.
Personally I'm not too upset about this, even though the transformation isn't to my taste. That GEC radiogram with a poor cabinet would be worth practically nothing, and would most likely be parted out or dumped as-is. At least this 'modification' has saved it from the tip.

Best regards, Paul
Old 25th Oct 2005, 7:21 pm   #12
peter_scott
Dekatron

According to the description the glass is scratched and as shown damaged on one side, so it's unlikely that this piece was created yesterday and this type of deco item has suffered many years of being out of fashion prior to its revival in recent times.

It does look like a professional job from what can be seen in the photos. I suspect it is a genuine period piece.

Peter.

Last edited by peter_scott; 25th Oct 2005 at 7:25 pm.
Old 13th Nov 2005, 6:53 pm   #13
KEITHW
Retired Dormant Member

I thought this picture might help with the discussion on the originality of the mirrored radiogram. It's taken from Practical Wireless for 26th September 1936. The title reads 'The King of Siam and his special H.M.V. radiogram'. It goes on underneath 'The King of Siam, who is an enthusiastic radio listener, visited the "H.M.V." stand at Radiolympia, and bought a model 485a in a cabinet consisting of mirrors' which proves this kind of finish was being carried out in the 1930's. I wonder if this one still survives. Any one know the King of Siam ?!! Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hmv.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1963  
Closed Thread