UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Apr 2010, 8:29 pm   #1
itactics
Retired Dormant Member

Default 1952 - Build your own Transistor Radio

This interesting article predates the release of the worlds first transistor radio, the Regency TR-1, by two years!

http://www.jamesbutters.com/buildatransistorradio.htm
Old 12th Apr 2010, 9:05 pm   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: 1952 - Build your own Transistor Radio

Very interesting James - I wonder how many people took the gamble and forked out $6.50 each for three point contact transistors, and whether their gamble paid off!

I remember in my teens in the mid 1950s, surplus 'red spot' and 'white spot' transistors costing ten shillings - a tidy sum in those days, and more than most valves. Bascially, these were out of spec transistors offloaded onto the surplus market with no maker's ID marks.

Red spot were audio - white spot (allegedly!) were good for RF. All very hit and miss - you either got lucky and they worked, or unlucky, and blamed yourself for killing these three legged fuses.

Ah yes, I remember it well!

David,
G4EBT
Old 12th Apr 2010, 11:59 pm   #3
itactics
Retired Dormant Member

And David, if their gamble paid off I wonder if any survive today?
Old 13th Apr 2010, 10:07 am   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I'm sure they do - I have a few! I see them as testimony to my having a low gullibiblty threshold in parting with hard-earned cash as an impoverished apprentice in the late 1950s.

The extreme variabilty of 'red spot' surplus transistors meant that it was a gamble as to whther or not they worked at all - be it as oscillators, amplifiers, at AF or RF. I've unearthed a few out of my spares box and tested them. (We didn't have the means back then to test them accurately of course).

The results are shown in the pics, and as can be seen, the gain ranges from as little as 5 to as much as 90, which shows the extent of variabilty. Those four will have cost me £2.00 altogether at the time (1958/9) - about a quarter of a week's wage as a senior apprentice.

At least those transistors do still do work after more than fifty years!

David,
G4EBT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Spot1.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	34445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Spot2.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	34446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Spot3.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	34447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Spot4.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	34448  
Old 13th Apr 2010, 12:25 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

The first device looks exactly like what was in a Repanco amplified crystal set my brother had in the early 60's. Never seen similar since (until now....)

I wonder if anyone recognises the package?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 14th Apr 2010, 7:40 am   #6
fidobsa
Retired Dormant Member

That's a neat little transistor tester. I have one somewhere I made back in the mid '70s using a Colmans mustard tin as the case and a tape recorder vu meter for the gain readings!
Old 14th Apr 2010, 8:50 am   #7
FRANK.C
Heptode

The battery voltage appears very high in that article at 45 Volts.
I haven't seen a transistor radio with a battery voltage that high before. Would it be a misprint and should read 4.5V?

Frank
Old 14th Apr 2010, 12:30 pm   #8
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I don't know, the Regency TR1 used a 22½V battery and that was a diddy little radio. This project is, by the standards we know today, very bulky so 45V possibly isn't as ludicrous as it may seem.

Also, the project is hardly what you'd call a portable or personal radio so the physical size of the battery wouldn't be a concern - up to a point anyway. I once had a little Emerson hybrid effort that could just about be called a 'coat pocket' radio and that used a 45V battery, so such batteries did exist.
Old 14th Apr 2010, 10:08 pm   #9
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidobsa View Post
That's a neat little transistor tester. I have one somewhere I made back in the mid '70s using a Colmans mustard tin as the case and a tape recorder vu meter for the gain readings!
I've appended a couple of pics of testers I made long ago - one, for PNP/NPN, in 1970 - (yikes, 40 years ago!) - the other, for FETs, in the 1980s. They're looking a bit sorry for themselves, with their yellowing front panels, but they work well enough and were in constant use until one of my sons bought me the posh tester about five years ago as a birthday present.

Bless!

David.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Homebrew Transistor Testers.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	34499  
Closed Thread