UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Apr 2010, 1:50 am   #1
Damo666
Hexode

Default Question re Deoxit contact cleaner

Hello guys! After lots of thorough research, and reading rave reviews, i've decided to buy some "very" expensive contact cleaner called Deoxit. At nearly £20 for very few ml I've decided to come here to ask any consumers of this product how to use it effectively. Do I just put it on the moving contacts and leave it to dry, or do I leave it for a while then remove the stuff with a cotton bud, etc? Sorry if this sounds like an utterly stupid question - but I'd rather do the job properly as opposed to waste the product without good results. Regards. Damian.

Last edited by Station X; 12th Apr 2010 at 8:45 am.
Old 12th Apr 2010, 8:12 am   #2
audiomagpie
Heptode

Default Re: Question re Deoxit contact cleaner

Hi Damion

I recently bought a can at the last Harpenden (the BVWS stand do it for £15)
and have used it on a couple of sets since. Doesn't seem to leave a residue as servisol does. I've only used it on pot's so far thought, a quick shot via the supplied tube through any apperture in the pot body did the trick. As the name suggests, it should have de-oxidising properties for the contact surface, rather than just blow the muck out. It also disolves wax that may have dripped from a wax cap on to a chassis with ease. In any case, use sparingly at the price!

Greg

BVWS committee chairman
Old 12th Apr 2010, 8:29 am   #3
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Greg,
Your description of its use doesn't seem to match the description in Post #1.
Are there various 'flavours'?
Alan
Old 12th Apr 2010, 11:52 am   #4
Damo666
Hexode

Cheers for the replies. Alan - the package that i purchased contains 2ml of deoxit, 2ml of deoxit gold, 2ml of deoxit shield, and 2ml of deoxit faderlube.
Old 12th Apr 2010, 12:01 pm   #5
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBeckett View Post
Are there various 'flavours'?
There are several versions

http://store.caig.com/

This stuff is highly recommended on the Yahoo Tektronix group. The contacts in high spec scopes can cause a lot of problems and are quite delicate and they reckon this is the only really effective cleaner for them.

With something like this that you don't want to spray on, with it being wasted and getting places you don't want it, you can spray a bit into the lid and paint it on with a brush.

I suggest that if the instructions don't give enough guidance, Greg checks out the Caig site, where they have a 'learning centre' and forum.

Pete.
Old 13th Apr 2010, 3:00 am   #6
Damo666
Hexode

As are the spring loaded battery prongs in my ex Police Moto' handheld transceivers (mt6000e masc encryption). Poor connections and intermittent " low batt " indications are very common.
Old 13th Apr 2010, 10:33 am   #7
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

Please tell us how you get on with it and whether you think it's all it's cracked up to be.

Pete.
Old 13th Apr 2010, 4:30 pm   #8
Damo666
Hexode

I sure will. I've tried cotton buds, alcohol, wd40, fine sandpaper, erasers, etc - so if this stuff works it's worth every penny. Will post the results when i receive the product.
Old 13th Apr 2010, 4:44 pm   #9
Sean Williams
Dekatron

£15 to 20 for contact cleaner.....

Ye gods, Im in the wrong trade!

it really ought to be good at that price!
Old 13th Apr 2010, 9:59 pm   #10
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post
£15 to 20 for contact cleaner.....

Ye gods, Im in the wrong trade!
When I first heard of it, I thought it was an audiofool thing. Then I saw discussions on the Yahoo Tek group (and they do tend to know what they are talking about) where it was said that although Tek 475s never had particularly sharp focus because of the design of the CRT, most of the problems with ageing Teks were due to contact degradation/dirt and Deoxit was about the only contact cleaner any good for the job.

As it happens, having heard about the fuzzy screen problem with Tek 475s, I chose mine from about four, to be the one with the sharpest focus, but that's why I've got an interest in these products.

However, most of my contact cleaning is less demanding and I've found that Maplin's juice does a good enough job, so I've been reluctant to sport the twenty notes.

Pete. .
Old 15th Apr 2010, 3:52 am   #11
Damo666
Hexode

Ok guys. My Deoxit arrived and has been used on the noisy handheld rig and it has fixed the problem. This stuff is " GREAT ". I'm even getting about 1 1/2hrs extra on standby. Highly recommended.
Old 16th Apr 2010, 2:36 am   #12
Damo666
Hexode

Update: I've used the Deoxit followed by the Deoxit gold on my freeview scart and antenna downlead, as i was getting broken transmissions during ad' breaks. The signal is now up by about 20% and the broken transmissions are now no longer. I also decided to try the fluid on an old Halogen flashlight and the intensity is significantly brighter. I would strongly recommend this stuff, and would imagine that one of the 5ml tubes would easily treat about 150 contacts as you only need a dab. It's that good that i've disposed of my old Servisol 10 as it really is rubbish in comparison. Happy man!
Old 16th Apr 2010, 8:11 am   #13
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

It does indeed sound good but at twenty quid a pop it is a little out of my reach, then again I don't have any ultra high spec gear to warrent it's use. I have used RS contact cleaner for years with no problems.

Cheers
Lee