UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Apr 2010, 10:00 am   #21
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Can a valve be "boosted"?

I've just tried the 3-step process on a 57 (signal pentode) and it seems to have made a useful improvement. The valve was initially very low, barely 800uA on test instead of 2mA. I gave it:
Vh=5V for 1 minute (normally 2.5V) everything else disconnected
Vh=4V for 1 hour with Vg1 adjusted to keep Ia=3mA
Vh=2.5V for 8 hours with Ia approx. 2mA
On test Ia has now stabilised at 1.8mA, within spec and over twice its previous value. The gm has changed little, previously 1.1 now possibly 1.15 but the precision of readings on the AVO down in that range is a bit marginal. Either way it's perfectly good enough. I cannot measure any gas current but now need to test it in circuit (prewar Hammond organ) once I have done the equally bad 56 that works with it.

Will keep an eye on performance drift and report back...

Lucien
Old 18th Apr 2010, 7:48 pm   #22
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Default Re: Can a valve be "boosted"?

Hi and thanks for all your replies. However, I've just made a complete and utter prat of myself because the FM front end isn't an ECC85 at all . It is in fact an ECC81, silly br . I wondered why an '85 wouldn't light up (different heater connections). The cause of no FM is therefore deeper within the set. I'll wait for a rainy day then whip the chassis out .
Sorry for the wild goose chase, chaps.
Cheers de Pete