UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2010, 5:11 pm   #1
cockshad
Tetrode

Default PP9/PP7 batteries

hello there,i was jus wondering whats the cheapest PP9 or PP7 batterys out there...I ask as Maplins are knocking out the PP9 for nearly £8 a pop...£6 for the PP7...i get my PP9s from Screwfix-£2.95 each,but they dont do the PP7...i got some off ebay for £4.99 each p+p free.... anyone know anywhere cheaper for single units as aposed to buying 10 plus.... Moderater move this if in wrong area ...Thanx Tim
Old 23rd Jan 2010, 6:13 pm   #2
Jonster
Heptode

Default Re: PP9/PP7 batterys

PP7's are quite hard to find now, I'm not sure if CPC do them anymore, although they often have special offer pricing on the PP9's, often cheaper than Screwfix.

If you can't get PP7's then a six cell AA/AAA holder might be the answer.
Old 23rd Jan 2010, 6:37 pm   #3
dickiplast
Triode

CPC have them in the latest flyer @ £1.45 PP7 and £2.30 PP9 + VAT.

Ian
Old 23rd Jan 2010, 6:47 pm   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

We've recently had a lengthy thread on the PP9 which, by typing simply "PP9" into a search, can be found here.

We don't need to go down the PP9 road again so things would be easier if this thread stuck to just the PP7 from now on, although even that question has now been quite well answered.
Old 24th Jan 2010, 11:41 am   #5
cockshad
Tetrode

Default Re: PP9/PP7 batteries

hi darren,thanks for that....yes i agree lets concentrate on pp7s then...thanks for all info friends....
Old 9th Feb 2010, 2:04 pm   #6
michael cumming
Retired Dormant Member

PP7 you can buy at Maplins for around £5 but to keep my Eveready Sky Tourer that uses this size original i rebuilt an old PP7 with two PP3s in paralel to give 9V for longer. There are other companys on the net that may have these batterys but i find with them they to can be around the same price. I scanned a metal clad PP7 and printed it on card an then laminated it and for the treminals i hacked apart a PP9 an used these. Its fiddly work but worth while to keep your set near original. Good luck with it. Regards MIKE
Old 9th Feb 2010, 2:14 pm   #7
cockshad
Tetrode

HI THERE...thanks for the info...i have a discharged blue ever ready pp7 and was wondering how members re-clad if u will a new pp7...scanning and laminating is one way then...mmmmm you got me thinking...ta !
Old 9th Feb 2010, 2:22 pm   #8
michael cumming
Retired Dormant Member

No probs, at first i thought the metal cladding would damage the scanner but i got away with it. I dont attempt to take apart metal clad stuff as its difficult and can have sharp edges and you can damage the batterys logos. Its a case of scanning each side and with it not being folded flat i cover the scanner with a towel. If it has Eveready Blue on im thinking metal clad as i have the same one but 60s Eveready batterys were card covered which are easy to scan as they fold flat. Sorry theres no easy way with metal clad but once you finish it your work will be worth it. Saying that im sure other members have taken metal ones apart so someone other than me may know better.
Old 9th Feb 2010, 3:03 pm   #9
cockshad
Tetrode

hi again yes mate its metal clad...ill try that though..dont fancy taking it apart...on the same subject is there any scans already available of battery covers,either here or on internet? maybe a section could be added to the download bit [top right corner] as it seems many other members are thinking the same/making replica batterys? moderator/admin what do you think? once again ta tim
Old 9th Feb 2010, 3:30 pm   #10
cockshad
Tetrode

ive jus scanned the pp7 and a pp9 and the results look quite good so ta for the tip,will assemble an laminate tomoz or thursday....happy days
Old 9th Feb 2010, 5:53 pm   #11
michael cumming
Retired Dormant Member

Im pleased it worked for you, its a pain with the metal clad ones but worth the effort. Im glad i could help as its always great to have that vintage power pack for your radio.
Old 1st Apr 2010, 9:33 am   #12
cockshad
Tetrode

Wilkos do pp9 for £2.92 btw....
Closed Thread