UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Feb 2005, 4:50 pm   #1
ianj
Heptode

Default Radio Inventory

Hi everyone.......
How about the BVWS setting up a database of members sets? Details of the number of survivors of any given set may be of interest not only to other members, but it may also help prices of our hobby stabilise............... It could be started with pre-war types................................ this may be a huge task, but if everyone sent in details of their collection, the BVWS could publish how many (rare) sets survive in private collections.....after all, we all have radio collections, dont we? The classic car movement does this already with their members............................only details of radio model, though, no other information to be given out................................what do you think? ianj
Old 17th Feb 2005, 5:01 pm   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Radio Inventory

Nice idea but what a huge job! How many of us actually have a decent list of our own sets. Mea culpa.

The idea also fits with the concept of a distributed museum which has been mentioned by Mike Barker.

Anonymising the list helps with security concerns but some people may still be worried.
Old 18th Feb 2005, 1:15 pm   #3
Sam
Hexode

It does sound like a good idea, but a HUGE job!

Is there something like this with early TVs, or have I made that up?

I am a member of the Triumph Owners MCC, and they ask for the engine number, model, and registration of your Triumph, so they can see what is out there.

Doubt I will ever own anything of merit to warrant being mentioned separately though!

Sam
Old 18th Feb 2005, 1:49 pm   #4
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

There is a listing of pre-war TV survival numbers here:-

http://www.earlytelevision.org/prewar_database.html

To list radio sets would be a formidable task, I suppose it would be manageable with the rarer pre-30's sets, but a listing of all those DAC90a's could fill a sizeable hard disk... .
It makes more sense to keep your own private inventory, if only for insurance purposes. .
Regards, Mick.
Old 18th Feb 2005, 1:55 pm   #5
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, if we were to have a list would it not be possible that we all input what we have in a common format (say Excel or similar) and they should then "slot into" the database. I can only see that the contributors would have to generate the lists anyway.

Ed
Old 18th Feb 2005, 5:32 pm   #6
GMB
Dekatron

Quote:
but a listing of all those DAC90a's could fill a sizeable hard disk...
Only if you included pictures.

It is an interesting idea - but the big problem is not compiling the list which I think could be easy - it would be maintaining it. It would become out of date within minutes of being completed and updates are more trouble than appending new stuff.

On a related topic, I was wondering if it would be possible to match off say the trader sheets index with an indication of rarity. I wonder how many people have binned a rare set without knowing it. Perhaps someone has a list of production figures for different models?
Old 18th Feb 2005, 6:07 pm   #7
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB
On a related topic, I was wondering if it would be possible to match off say the trader sheets index with an indication of rarity. I wonder how many people have binned a rare set without knowing it. Perhaps someone has a list of production figures for different models?
Rarity depends not only on the number made but on the attrition rate. For example Murphy sets survive in quite large numbers because they were well made and people hung on to them. At the other extreme, I won't libel any manufacturer in particular, but owners binned them in anger.

At the very rare end of the market, pre-war tellies are very rare not only because relatively few were made but also by the 1950s they were (rightly at the time) thought of as large and useless heaps of junk.
Old 18th Feb 2005, 11:50 pm   #8
BlowFish
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning
if we were to have a list would it not be possible that we all input what we have in a common format (say Excel or similar) and they should then "slot into" the database. I can only see that the contributors would have to generate the lists anyway
One way to do this is to have a web site with backend database, the site would have a form to fill out the details and users could generate reports from this. This of course depends on how many contributors would be willing to input the data. As to what data for the database could have, this could be manufacturer, chassis number, model etc (Radio,TV or related items) There could be an option for the contributor to remain private or put what collection it belongs to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin
Rarity depends not only on the number made but on the attrition rate. For example Murphy sets survive in quite large numbers because they were well made and people hung on to them.
Would also apply to Bush and Pye sets, very often found in original condition with no sign of any repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppenguin
useless heaps of junk
Sounds like my collection
Old 19th Feb 2005, 12:10 am   #9
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

It sounds like a good idea, but as with others, I think the logistics may be difficult. I have lost track of the number of items I have in my collection, but it is well over 400, covering domestic radio, television, military radio, private mobile radio, telephones, telegraph, test equipment and computers, not to mention several hundred related books and publications!

It becomes a case of where do we draw the line - I know that I, and several friends have unique items, that may well be of importance to researchers, and these should be listed in a central database, if only for research purposes, but if you consider that this forum has over 600 members, with an average of say 40 sets each (come on, own up to all those you have hidden in the loft/shed/greenhouse/garage where your partner can't find them), it will soon become a very large database, and will require some serious server space, and on-line, this will cost.

Jim.
Old 19th Feb 2005, 12:01 pm   #10
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Remember that someone would have to create and maintain any such database or inventory. The BVWS is run by volunteers in their spare time, all of whom already have plenty to do already. Whenever the society ask for volunteers for anything we are deafened by the silence.

So even if the committee did agree to something like this (it hasn't been discussed so the committee's position is unknown), the chances of us finding someone to do it and it actually happening are extremely slim.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 1st Mar 2005, 12:37 am   #11
Sean Williams
Dekatron

It is a great shame that finding people to do this is such an issue, as it would be an interesting exercise and make a useful historical record that may help explain the provenance of some of the rarer/expensive sets - this may even be seen as a method of crime prevention I doubt many people would buy a set if it was rare without checking its source especially if the vendor in question was "unknown"

It really cant be that hard, I assume that the sets at Gerrys have been listed, and s/nos taken down......

If that is the case then a simplified register could easily be held in text format and updated every six months

The BVWS does keep a list of BBC marhed sets?

Cheers
Sean
Old 1st Mar 2005, 9:15 am   #12
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

M1ECY: Writing as a past member of the BVWS committee (and still organising things for the Society) I can assure you that finding voluntary effort to do anything is a major problem. Maybe the committee is asking in the wrong way, maybe the volunteers just aren't there. Though in a society of 1700 members there really ought to be a few more who are willing to help in some way. They say that words are cheap and action is expensive but even articles for the Bulletin can be a scarce commodity!

AFAIK, the catalogue of Gerry's museum has been one of those projects that has been on and off for years without a great deal of success. I hope that has now been remedied and I'm sure that those in the know will give us the present situation. It's certainly an essential part of the museum becoming a charitable trust.

Cataloguing collections accurately is not that hard but it needs a lot of tedious work. Tracking the changes could be a big problem if the list is not to become a work of fiction within a very short time.
Old 1st Mar 2005, 9:18 am   #13
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ecy
...- this may even be seen as a method of crime prevention
And on the face of it, this is a good idea .. IF the database is up to date. If someone sold a set but didn't update the records, then the buyer decided to sell it, what would happen then ?

From the point of view of theft, it really should be down to all of us to keep our own list of what we have (no, I haven't, yes, I ought to!) ... just thinking out loud, but if the worst should then happen that list could be put on-line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ecy
It is a great shame that finding people to do this is such an issue, .... It really cant be that hard, ...
Hey!, looks like we got us a volunteer

TTFN,
Jon
Old 1st Mar 2005, 11:06 am   #14
Paul_RK
Dekatron

My knowledge of computer practicalities is minimal (and so a few folk may be laughing in the aisles by when I've expressed this idea): but would it be possible for someone somewhere to act as a clearing-house for all received data of sets and their serial numbers? I'm thinking that whoever acted as general recipient need have very little to do, but the system could redirect reported details to a variety of individuals volunteering to curate registers for particular manufacturers. To me it sounds the likeliest way of harnessing the required enthusiasm and commitment - most firms command some level of specific interest, and someone would likely be interested enough to take on the obscurer ones as a block. And an individual familiar with, or at least rapidly becoming familiar with, a particular maker's sets would be best placed to weed out or query any inaccurate or doubtful reports (say, of a Murphy A40C with a six-figure serial number). Could it be done, or am I occasioning chuckles?

Paul
Old 1st Mar 2005, 12:08 pm   #15
GMB
Dekatron

Quote:
And on the face of it, this is a good idea .. IF the database is up to date. If someone sold a set but didn't update the records, then the buyer decided to sell it, what would happen then ?
This is the same problem as with security marking your goods with your postcode. How do you then sell these items and what happens if you move house? I think the answer is that while the information may be wrong it gives a starting point for an investigation. The point is that any such database cannot claim to be definitive. Serial numbers may have been misread and information may have been corrupted. It could never be more than a guide. The administrators of such a thing would need liability insurance since there are obvious possibilities for malicious use. And any idea that it could be done by a purely automatic on-line system should be put aside straight away. It wouldn't last 10 minutes in my experience.
Old 3rd Mar 2005, 6:19 pm   #16
davegsm82
Heptode

Thumbs up Re: Radio Inventory

I do actualy believe this is a good idea, allthough yes it does have its drawbacks. My £0.02 worth is to suggest that the daabase would be online and essentaily powered by some form of datatbase similar to the one that runs this website (i'm assuming its VB) where each member has a profile linked to the sets they own. Again pictures would be a problem, but i imagine a small thumbnail type picture of each set would be ample for identification of an individual set.

As people have said, what if you move house, or change which sets you have? well the same again, just come online and edit your profile. If somone decides to leave and not delete thier profile then you will see from the date they last logged onto thier profile as to see wether youre likely to get a reply to messages or questions you may send to that person. i think its perfectly feasable.

Some of the members on here must be SERIOUS collecters, 400 sets? I have 5, and a couple of valve 'scopes. I imagine many people have less than 20.

Dave.
Old 4th Mar 2005, 1:36 am   #17
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegsm82
Some of the members on here must be SERIOUS collecters, 400 sets? I have 5, and a couple of valve 'scopes. I imagine many people have less than 20.

Dave.
I'd admit to 700 or so, and some very patchy records indeed beyond the ranks of Hacker and Roberts portables (which only account for about 160 of them). Retrieving the serial numbers from everything else could take quite a while: perhaps I should get started in case this scheme ever leaves the ground

Paul
Old 4th Mar 2005, 10:00 am   #18
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Paul, only 700? or have you been reducing the collection lately!

This should serve as a warning to members of the forum as to how addictive the hobby can become. I would admit to about 200, but a hugh collection of books, service data and early magazines.
A catalogue of service data would be useful to complement Paul S's excellent CD's but that would be a serious task!!

Ed
Old 4th Mar 2005, 8:25 pm   #19
quantum
Retired Dormant Member

I've cut back a bit recently but I'd also admit to about 200 sets, 100 of which are valve radios and the rest being trannies, amps, SS receivers, tape recorders etc.. Back in 1997 I did make up a spreadsheet in Excel with all my sets on it, with details of repairs carried out, unusual problems and so on, but never updated it after about 1999.

The advantage of not having a database is that you can be pleasantly surprised when looking for a set or componets and come across something you'd forgotten about!
Old 5th Mar 2005, 10:30 pm   #20
BlowFish
Retired Dormant Member

Angry Re: Radio Inventory

...and people think my collection of 15 radios and a few TV's is a lot

Maybe there could be some type of database that just listed what make-model (Radio, etc) is still out there. For doing personal lists then a spreadsheet program is just fine.
Had a look at Mike's comments about museums in the last Bulletin - my grandfather donated some items to a local museum in the late 1960s, one being a 20's crystal set. When I recently visted the museum and asked to have a look at them, the reply was they no longer had the items and could not locate them https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...cons/icon8.gif

I would certainly have a go at doing such a database but at the moment my spare time is taken up with other things (and not all restoration stuff )
Closed Thread