UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jan 2019, 1:11 pm   #21
John10b
Nonode

Default Re: The demise of the fluorescent tube

I’ve started to replace the bulbs at home with LEDs, I generally look for about 800 Lumins to replace the old 60 watt bulbs. As a rough guide what temperature gives the best light for the shed (workshop) and which for the lounge?
Cheers
John
Old 13th Jan 2019, 1:28 pm   #22
John M0GLN
Octode

Quote:
As a rough guide what temperature gives the best light for the shed (workshop) and which for the lounge?
I've used daylight in the workshop, bathroom and kitchen and warm white for all other rooms, very pleased with the results, one effect with them is, if you use a dimmer unlike incandescent bulbs which change colour down to dull orange, these stay the same colour and in the kitchen it's like moonlight at the lowest setting which I quite like..

John
Old 13th Jan 2019, 1:31 pm   #23
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10b View Post
As a rough guide what temperature gives the best light for the shed (workshop) and which for the lounge?
https://www.downlights.co.uk/faq-whi...perature-.html
Old 13th Jan 2019, 2:07 pm   #24
The Philpott
Dekatron

1100 man Nick, you don't want any low frequency 6' Twin T8 battens next time you're in the area do you? They all work. PM me if so.

I am on the fence with the whole Flourescent v LED philosophy, I have both in use.
One thing you cannot do is have low freq. and high freq. flourescent fittings which are spacially or electrically too close to each other; this can make the latter flicker very badly.

8' x T12 tubes were subject to legislation some years ago which was intended to phase them out of use. At around the same time T12 tubes of shorter lengths started to disappear. I stockpiled some fittings and tubes then, as LED's were simply not very satisfactory at the time (unlike now.)

Dave
Old 13th Jan 2019, 5:11 pm   #25
hannahs radios
Hexode

I will NEVER change to LED lighting the type of light they give is horrible also I have a friend who has got lots of fluorescent tubes in stock so I think my 3 fluorescents in the workshop will be in use for years yet. One is a twin 36 watt switchstart the other a single HF fitting. Also the older I get the more I apreciate the extra warmth given by the 100 watt filament lamp over my chair in the lounge so you see to there will NEVER be any LEDisease here ay Hannah towers
Old 13th Jan 2019, 6:22 pm   #26
red16v
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by evingar View Post
Couldn't agree more. I was ambivalent until they started swapping all the tired old florescent tubes at work with LED's - what an incredible difference ! I swapped the tubes in my workshop for LED and I'll never be going back. Instant daylight at the flick of a switch. The florescent tube in the garage will be next although the one in the loft is hard to justify swapping because of the infrequent usage.
I have two florescent lamps in my loft but often find one or sometimes both dont come on. I think this is down to the cold weather in winter as they both come on ok in the summer.

Are fluorescent ‘start ups’ affected by temperature do you know?
Old 13th Jan 2019, 6:26 pm   #27
julie_m
Dekatron

Yes. The starter is basically a kind of thermal relay. At low temperatures, it can take longer to operate.
Old 13th Jan 2019, 8:02 pm   #28
John10b
Nonode

Thank you Stevehertz for the link.
Cheers
John
Old 13th Jan 2019, 8:20 pm   #29
electronicskip
Nonode

Toolstation still stock a reasonable variety of the smaller tubes, I got my new catalogue yesterday and they are still advertising the T5/T8s and some other ones including the D and circle tubes although im having trouble finding the smaller Circle tube since the one dedicated lighting shop in the city closed down at Christmas (I bought their last small circle tube) and the big sheds don't stock them.
Old 13th Jan 2019, 8:23 pm   #30
Herald1360
Dekatron

And the tubes themselves get more reluctant to strike. When they do they can take a while to reach full brightness, not unlike CFLs. There are some tricks you can try with copper or ally sticky tape which may help with striking.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 13th Jan 2019, 9:24 pm   #31
Scimitar
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicskip View Post
Toolstation still stock a reasonable variety of the smaller tubes, I got my new catalogue yesterday and they are still advertising the T5/T8s and some other ones including the D and circle tubes although im having trouble finding the smaller Circle tube since the one dedicated lighting shop in the city closed down at Christmas (I bought their last small circle tube) and the big sheds don't stock them.
Walked past Nevitt's recently and there is a sign in the window saying that Worcester is still trading. So if you are stuck, there is one option.
Old 13th Jan 2019, 9:54 pm   #32
The Philpott
Dekatron

As regards tubes (in iron ballast fittings) failing to strike in cold/damp weather, spraying the glass with an off the shelf silicone spray (or the sort used in bottling plants, or for freeing up plastic curtain runners) is recommended. The glow starters can (and probably should) be replaced with solid state ones which automatically time the strike to near perfection. This also extends the life of the tubes. If your tubes don't strike after these two hints, something else is wrong, eg the brass pins not making proper contact.

Dave
Old 13th Jan 2019, 9:55 pm   #33
broadgage
Nonode

Energy saving regulations prohibited the manufacture or import of many lower efficiency fluorescent tubes some years ago.
The main types affected were
All common T12 lamps
All common halophospor lamps.

I am not aware of any plans to restrict T8 tri-phosphor lamps, but availability is declining for want of demand.

Manufacture or import of most types of copper iron control gear was also prohibited.

I am not aware of any plans to restrict electronic control gear or fluorescent fittings containing same.
I suspect however that manufacture of many fluorescent fittings will soon cease as sales plummet.

On strictly economic grounds, LEDs are the future.
If anyone wishes to keep existing fluorescent installations in working order, I suggest getting a good stock of lamps, and other spares.

Fluorescent lighting is about to go the way of valve radios, much appreciated and enjoyed by a minority, but no longer in general use.
Old 13th Jan 2019, 11:09 pm   #34
The Philpott
Dekatron

I should also say that solid-state starters can cater for the failure of a tube in use; there is no strobing, re-start attempts or overheated wires. Particularly relevant where a tube might be left on and forgotten about- like a loft or cellar.

Dave
Old 14th Jan 2019, 11:02 am   #35
Glowing Bits!
Octode

There were similar issues in the garage in winter, the fixtures took forever to do anything, the solution was to change every starter for electronic, problem solved.
Sadly, the fixtures are only used as a holder for the new LED tubes nowadays, the electrics have been bypassed.
The beauty with LED technology is that they work instant without waiting in a dimly lit room for 10 minutes while the tubes warm up, plus there's no more having to live on paracetamol, I'm flicker sensitive and sometimes suffer violent migraines as a result of flickering tubes/bulbs.

Just a quick chirp on this post.
Rick.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 11:07 am   #36
Scimitar
Heptode

Quote:
they work instant without waiting in a dimly lit room for 10 minutes while the tubes warm up, plus there's no more having to live on paracetamol, I'm flicker sensitive and sometimes suffer violent migraines as a result of flickering tubes/bulbs.
Quite right, which is why I am having difficulty understanding what problem the OP has with LED light output. From what I can see, they cure all the problems associated with flourescents' green light, slow start and flicker.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 11:32 am   #37
Glowing Bits!
Octode

A mate is the same, he relies on 100w gls for his house.
The main reason for changing 16 tubes over was the running cost, these new tubes knocked a quid a day off the electric bill, paying for themselves in 10 months.
Rick.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 11:49 am   #38
Nymrod121
Nonode

I've made some LED 'striplights' using self-adhesive multi-LED tape* and 15mm plastic conduit. The first lot went into my workshop and have been very successful. I've a plan to swap out the fluorescent fittings in my garage some time this Spring, using the same concept; colour temperature for both areas being 6500K to help offset the effects of seasonal affective disorder from which I'm suffering at the moment due to the almost constant 8/8ths cloud cover we've been having recently.

Also, I used warm white (4500K) for our under-cupboard lighting in the kitchen (previous posts refer).

Guy
https://www.amazon.co.uk/JnDeeTM-Fle...463299&sr=1-20

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JnDeeTM-Fle...463362&sr=1-41

(no association with this company, just a satisfied customer)

NB - once used up, the roll 'spools' come in very handy for storing 'scope probes, RF test leads etc. in the workshop

Last edited by Nymrod121; 14th Jan 2019 at 12:03 pm. Reason: add links to warm/cool white LED strip-on-a-roll
Old 14th Jan 2019, 1:48 pm   #39
Refugee
Dekatron

I used a light pipe saved from land fill for a windowless corridor.
The light is not all that good for a normal room but the light distribution along the length makes up for that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4324.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	176406   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4325.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	176407  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 2:22 pm   #40
Glowing Bits!
Octode

I'm sure that's led rope light, not ideal for room illumination but sure does look pretty.
Rick.
Closed Thread