UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Feb 2017, 11:59 pm   #1
Thyristor
Pentode

Unhappy Sounds of the Sixties - Brian Matthew

Brian Matthew has been sacked from Sounds of the Sixties; that was shocking enough; but to be replaced by, of all people, Tony Blackburn !
And to be moved from 8AM, to 6AM !!

Good grief !

This is the end of radio, as far as I'm concerned.

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2017/01/bri...ds-of-the-60s/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...dest-dj-brian/

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-...of-the-sixties
Old 14th Feb 2017, 3:13 am   #2
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Sounds of the Sixties - Brian Matthew

Nowt wrong with Tony Blackburn, one of the best, funniest, likeable, self effacing DJs we've ever had.

Hardly the end of radio!
Old 14th Feb 2017, 9:49 am   #3
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I listened to Brian Mathew when he first appeared on the radio, in fact he lived in my area. I think its a shame although I have no objection to Tony Blackburn, another blast from the past. The thing I never forgave the BBC for was sacking Jimmy Young.

Peter
Old 14th Feb 2017, 10:14 am   #4
MurphyNut
Heptode

I don't think Brian Mathew has been sacked! As far as I know he has stepped down. After all he is 88 and has been ill, people can't go on for ever!
Old 14th Feb 2017, 11:14 am   #5
Amraduk
Hexode

Brian Matthew did not 'step down'. See this Daily Mail article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...geism-row.html

Regards,

Dave.
Old 14th Feb 2017, 11:28 am   #6
terrybull
Octode

Quote:

Nowt wrong with Tony Blackburn, one of the best, funniest, likeable, self effacing DJs we've ever had.

Hardly the end of radio!
I have warmed to Mr Blackburn over the years but read his autobiography years ago. I couldn't finish it as a more pompous arrogant big headed character would be hard to find. Just my opinion.

The press reports suggest Brian Mathews was effectively sacked.
Old 14th Feb 2017, 11:37 am   #7
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amraduk View Post
Brian Matthew did not 'step down'. See this Daily Mail article
I guess it depends on what paper you read!
Old 14th Feb 2017, 11:54 am   #8
Nicklyons2
Octode

I know little of Tony Blackburn's personal details but do find his 'corny' presentation quite amusing and professionally done - I don't have a problem with him. Sadly though he'll only be a stop-gap, a sop to we 'old gits' to make us think we're any consequence.

The aim long term, I suspect, is to is install such 'greats' as Patrick Keilty, Dermot O'Leary, Zoe Ball etc. I've nearly injured myself trying hurriedly to get to the radio to shut the aforementioned off rather than hear a syllable from either of them.

I'm sad Brian Matthew has been sidelined, he's given us so much enjoyment, so professionally, for so long. Sadly none of us can go on forever and he would have to give up eventually but, I too, wish he could have carried on a bit longer. The BBC have long had the attitude of "we know what you ought to watch and listen to - and that's what your going to get" and it's done commercial radio & TV a big favour.
Old 14th Feb 2017, 12:12 pm   #9
G4YVM David
Heptode

Matthews was sacked in all but name. A great, great loss.

The insipid drink of water that replaced him - Tim Rice was like auditory paint drying.

Blackburn will be okay, he's a tad cheesy for my tastes but that's all. As for the new time, whats the point?? SOTS was a great morning listen, but not at 0600!

Thats the beeb though, sometimes not well thought out in terms of 'what do listeners want'. A bit like being unable to get iplayer abroad. Thanks Aunty.

D
Old 14th Feb 2017, 12:15 pm   #10
IvorBlister
Tetrode

I have always enjoyed Brian Matthew's style of presenting and was sad when he was replaced by Tim Rice, who, as a presenter of the show always sounds out of place to me. Blackburn is a presenter who gets up my nose, mainly due to his insistence of inane talking over the start of records. I once sent him an email about this and his reply was that it was his 'unique style of presenting' and loved by his fans. Guess that lets me out of his fan club then !!
Old 14th Feb 2017, 12:22 pm   #11
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I used to listen to Brian Mathews occassionally and think "I really should archive some of these programs" especially as he often featured vintage or obscure A and B sides as opposed to just a "repeat play" of all the recognisable great sixties material [I'm not a "perky" one genre person].

The evidence would suggest that he was pushed [rather than jumped] not a nice thing to do to the elderly. I only found out about this when I was re-cycling a newspaper from the end of January on Sunday so it's not been that heavily featured . Another crass decision unfortunately. The R4 PM at 5pm program gave Steve Hewlett a full half hour from his hospital bed last night. Under the protection of his status and despite illness he gave a less than glowing analysis of Beeb management when asked how he would run things. I always thought that he would make a great progressive DG!

On a lighter note Desmond Carrington made his own decision to depart from Radio 2 at his own pace quite recently. Years back, when he was first getting older, they seemed to be putting him under pressure to keep on travelling and Broadcasting from the London Studios but he was able to exert enough clout to be able to pioneer doing the program from his home in Scotland surrounded by his collection of music [including a vast number of 78's]. Of course the powers that be had been immediately against it-ironic when the whole ethos of media is to access things from a distance in the first place. I believe John Peel said that this development had enabled him to him to be able to do the same thing from Peel Acres with a subsequent reduction in personal stress.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 14th Feb 2017 at 12:28 pm.
Old 14th Feb 2017, 12:34 pm   #12
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I often listened to Brian Mathew’s ‘Sounds of the 60s’ programme when in the car, but I must say that at times, he seems to find the most obscure singers and songs imaginable. It’s not so much a question of ‘where are they now?’ as ‘who were they then?’ I think for some time that Brian has broadcast from his own home ‘down the wires’ – not in a radio studio. Easy to listen to.

There’s an interesting 2012 interview with Brian Matthew about his life and career at this link:

http://croydonmunicipal.blogspot.co....n-matthew.html

DJ wise, I don’t mind Tony Blackburn - he doesn’t make cheap shots at the expense of others and doesn’t come out with smutty innuendo. Likewise, Steve Wright never comes out with sarcy wise-cracks to put people down, is unfailingly chirpy, light-hearted and courteous to guests on his programme. The people I just can’t abide are Graham Norton and especially Jonathan Ross, both of whom – for reasons that escape me, seem to have quite a following. I don’t invite anyone onto my radio or TV that I wouldn’t invite into my home, so if ever they manifest themselves, I reach for the 'off' switch.

As to old age, I’m just reading a book written by a 97-year old retired dental surgeon Charles Eugster who has had a most interesting life. He took up bodybuilding at the age of 87, and at the age of 95 he started sprinting for the first time in his life, becoming World Champion at 200m indoor and 400m outdoor. He is a world record holder for his age group in a number of sports, and has 40 Gold Medals for World Masters Rowing. He makes Brian Matthew, at 88, seem positively useful:

https://www.waterstones.com/book/age.../9780751565379

Quite a guy.
Old 14th Feb 2017, 12:43 pm   #13
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4YVM David View Post
The insipid drink of water that replaced him - Tim Rice was like auditory paint drying.
I'm surprised at this comment, I thought Tim Rice was very good and I'm happy to continue to tune-in and enjoy Sounds of the Sixties.
Time will establish his standing with the program.
Old 14th Feb 2017, 12:46 pm   #14
ms660
Dekatron

It was always Johnny Walker for me.

Lawrence.
Old 14th Feb 2017, 1:46 pm   #15
G4XWDJim
Octode

But 06:00. Usually I've got better things to do at that time of the night. I might catch the end of the programme.

Brian Matthew played a tune for me in the early 90s. I should still have a recording of it.

I don't mind Tony Blackburn but like David EBT, GN and JR make me reach for the off switch too.

Jim
Old 14th Feb 2017, 2:01 pm   #16
Beobloke
Heptode

I like Sounds of the Sixties but can't listen if Mrs. B is around as she cannot stand Brian's voice and continually demands to know why he won't clear his throat! She'll appreciate the change to Tony Blackburn and I don't mind him at all, although the move to 6am is a disaster!

As to Desmond Carrington, he should have been removed from the airwaves years ago, IMHO...
Old 14th Feb 2017, 2:15 pm   #17
Kala_12
Hexode

I feel the same as David (in post #12) about Graham Norton and especially Jonathan Ross and even made a comment about the latter when I took part in a survey of radio listening habits, but I find Tony Blackburn too 'corny' in his presentation.
As regards Brian Mathew, I did enjoy Sounds of the Sixties, but it seems a bit bland now, someone trying to copy an existing excellent format/style - and failing.
Stuart.
Old 14th Feb 2017, 2:57 pm   #18
stevehertz
Dekatron

If nothing else, this thread has proven how we differ in our tastes regarding DJs. And by the way, although in my post (2) I said that I liked Tony Blackburn (I do) I too would have liked Brian to go on for a bit longer. You can blame the Beeb for sacking him - and yes I've read both sides of the story - but as has been said, Brian couldn't go on forever. Maybe a bit longer would have been nice. But I do disagree with the change to 6am, it hints that the Beeb may be edging the programme out gradually. Has it run its course in their eyes? Time for 'sounds of the 70s'? Hopefully not as a replacement.
Old 14th Feb 2017, 3:57 pm   #19
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
On a lighter note Desmond Carrington made his own decision to depart from Radio 2 at his own pace quite recently.
I suspect Nature had a hand in this, he died earlier this month.
Old 14th Feb 2017, 3:58 pm   #20
ajs37
Heptode

Disaster! - 6am? Are they mad? As for Tony Blackburn - I agree with the comment above - too corny! The BBC has lost 2 more listeners to Radio 2 - It was one of the only shows we enjoyed there. Very bad form.
Closed Thread