UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Oct 2015, 7:19 pm   #41

Default Re: Pylons

Re the Namibia pylon...
Quote:
There were no safety notices either.
If you can't see that it is bloomin' dangerous you deserve what you get. Rather a nice simple design, I like it.

Old 18th Oct 2015, 8:44 pm   #42
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: Pylons

It isn't just pylons that are interesting. If you look through the fences at some of the transformers, you can sometimes work out what is going on. There are lots of old and famous manufacturers names to be seen including Brush, English Electric, GEC ect.

Our site in Wakefield has a 11KV/33KV step up transformer and on the side has a nice vintage Ferranti automatic tap changer. Looking through the observation window there is a very nice looking mechanism made of machined brass inside.

Christopher Capener
Old 18th Oct 2015, 10:47 pm   #43
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Pylons

Hi,
I've always found electrical supply equipment fascinating, and wished I'd taken more photos when I was in the power industry and occasionally worked inside substation compounds. I love these old French tall substations (photos 1 & 5) with their terracotta tiled roofs which are slowly disappearing to be replaced with small package transformers.
Photo 3 shows a small pylon in Spain which looks a bit of a mess (the tower, not Spain!)
Photo 4 was taken during a wholesale replacement of insulators and cross arms on the 20Kv lines near our village. The local area was fed from four diesel generators while the work was carried out.
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Substation nr. Coueilles.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	114453   Click image for larger version

Name:	ACBs near Couielles (1).jpg
Views:	187
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	114454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydro stations near Bossost.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	114455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Overhead line work. 8-3-15 (3).jpg
Views:	187
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	114456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Substation nr. Coueilles (1).jpg
Views:	198
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	114457  

Old 18th Oct 2015, 10:59 pm   #44
russell_w_b
Dekatron

There're a few pics of electrical distribution and power infrastructure on my 'Flickr' page, here:- https://www.***********/photos/russel...57603792374210

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 19th Oct 2015, 1:33 am   #45
Refugee
Dekatron

One of the components I have seen many times that to me has no obvious purpose.
I would like to see if anyone knows what they are fitted for.
To me they are just clipped onto the cables in pairs close to the insulators at each end of the cable run.
Lightning gaps are obvious to me but these are not obvious.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	power part.jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	114458  
Old 19th Oct 2015, 2:18 am   #46
Synchrodyne
Nonode

They are vibration dampers - see the attachment.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Transmission Tower.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	114459  
Old 19th Oct 2015, 3:15 am   #47
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Three phases under *double* static lines.
In fact the use of two ground wires appears to be standard practice for high voltages where the three phase wires are horizontally arrayed, as in the case of what might be called the classic steel lattice transmission tower form.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Classic Tower - 1.png
Views:	108
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	114460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Classic Tower - 2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	114461  
Old 19th Oct 2015, 8:03 am   #48
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
Lightning gaps are obvious to me but these are not obvious.
Stockbridge dampers. They're used to dampen aeolian vibrations set up by the wind. Used on HF curtain arrays too.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 19th Oct 2015, 8:18 am   #49
Radio Wrangler

Some structures exhibit wind-powered vibrations, and the forces can be a bit much for the structure. The classic example is the Tacoma Narrows bridge 'Galloping Gertie' - it's worth finding the film of it if you've never seen it. Also the original Severn bridge turned out to have aerodynamic problems that forced modifications.

Simpler shapes like cylindrical cables are vulnerable to these effects too. You just need the right airflow to make the oscillation tune across a structural resonance and...

David
Old 19th Oct 2015, 9:28 am   #50
ms660
Dekatron

We had a fire in the garden caused by oscillating power cables

I was in the house....crack crack crack, rushed outside, it only took a me a few seconds, the grass (long) was on fire in six places, the oscillation was slapping together the two uninsulated overhead 230 volt incomer cables, we live in a timber clad house, there had been a long dry spell of weather...Anyways I put the fires out and the oscillation eventually stopped...

Western Power were called out, the oscillations started again, not only on our 230 volt feed but on the 11Kv line that passes over the property boundary to the transformer pole, it turned out to be a horse rubbing it's bum on the utility pole cable stay that the transformer was on.

Just an average day

Lawrence.
Old 19th Oct 2015, 9:56 am   #51
emeritus
Dekatron

That reminds me of a news item that I read some years ago in, I think, the IEE news, about a stretch of power line on the south coast of England that suffered periodic trips in the autumn for no obvious reason. The cause was eventually traced to flocks of migrating birds, which assembled en mass on the lines to prepare for crossing the channel and then all took off at once. The reaction force of the instantaneous departure so many birds was enough to set the lines swinging and cause a flash-over.
Old 19th Oct 2015, 10:08 am   #52
turretslug
Dekatron

Quote:
Resonance dampers. Look for them on suspension bridge cables and other places where unwanted resonances are likely- the Humber bridge is strewn with them, although care was taken at design.They're one of those things that, once you're aware of them, they seem to be all over the place
Old 19th Oct 2015, 11:06 am   #53
GMB
Dekatron

As a land owner I can tell you that in vaguely recent times a retrospective legal operation is going on to lease the right to the optic fibre that must have been there for ages. I don't know why, but am guessing that maybe this is to do with using it for purposes nothing to do with the electric companies. I am arguing with them about this as the quite generous deal comes with a lot of nasty restrictions, way more onerous than the de-facto safety issues with the pylon itself.

By the way, you may not realise that pylons host rainbow generators.
Don't believe me? Well here is a photo! You can see the rainbow projector, cleverly disguised as a microwave link, glowing away
Also, the answer to the question about what is at the end of a rainbow is clearly shown here - another pylon, obviously.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rainbow180small.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	114463  
Old 19th Oct 2015, 12:09 pm   #54
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,
Strong wind can produce what are known as "galloping conductors".
http://www.tdee.ulg.ac.be/player.php...2loops512k.flv
http://www.tdee.ulg.ac.be/player.php...pndown512k.flv
Yours, Richard
Old 19th Oct 2015, 1:31 pm   #55
hannahs radios
Hexode

There is a 3 phase HV line out near Bournemouth with horizontal wires rather than vertical it has 2 earth wires above it which seems to point to the use of twin earth wires for these being common practice. Russell loved your photo collection very interesting.
Old 19th Oct 2015, 1:47 pm   #56
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I was leaving a cottage in the aforementioned Fishpond on day when I heard a loud bang behind me and turned just in time to see the body of a large crow falling from an 11kv pole to the ground, it had somehow connected itself across the 11kv supply.

Peter
Old 19th Oct 2015, 5:19 pm   #57
ms660
Dekatron

When they replaced the 11kv poles and line not that long ago on our stretch they put taller ones in, they used a Philipino crew, boy do those guys work.

Our ash tree is about 3 ft short of the line, they are due out soon to pollard it, one of the 11Kv poles is on our land but when I last checked the wayleave payment was meager, I couldn't be bothered at the time.

Lawrence.
Old 19th Oct 2015, 7:31 pm   #58
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
They're vibration dampers, as others have noted.

On my 11/33Kv 3-phase infrastructure the same function is provided by a short overwind spiral of wire [same thickness as the transmission-line] fitted either side of the insulators. I guess they form offcuts of the main transmission-line . . .
Old 19th Oct 2015, 7:39 pm   #59
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
On my 11/33Kv 3-phase infrastructure the same function is provided by a short overwind spiral of wire
Are you sure that's not a cable repair? The procedure is to wrap overound spirals of wire onto the conductors to strengthen chafing and damage, using a thing called a 'Parrot's Beak'.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 19th Oct 2015, 7:43 pm   #60
Radio Wrangler

The process of wrapping a wire back around itself, I think, is called 'serving' for thread, it's called 'whipping'

Amazing the junk that lurks in the back of the head.

David