UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Nov 2005, 3:40 pm   #1
GJR 11L
Heptode

Thumbs up My "new" GEC!

This:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6570762630
just turned up, properly wrapped, as described and, in spite of being bought "Untested", actually works perfectly!
I had never encountered a decent one of these until I met this lovely thing, I have taken some "Before" pics, and will attempt to post the finished article in "Success stories".
Audio on this little thing is amazing! It matches even the best TR82 in the house, yet is more sensitive. Plenty loud enough, it has never had a soldering iron anywhere near it, merely sips at the PP9-juice and the missing knob bright? That's a Roberts one fitted back-to front, or it will be once I've polished the glue off the reverse side of a previously replaced (scratched) Roberts part!
Old 10th Nov 2005, 6:12 pm   #2
peter_scott
Dekatron

Default Re: My "new" GEC!

Hi Phil,

Looks good. What's the date of manufacture?

Peter.
Old 10th Nov 2005, 7:52 pm   #3
GJR 11L
Heptode

Hi Peter,
One of the Plessey electrolytics (the metal-bodied variety with the orange sleeve, the others are all the red, yellow and black variety) has a date on it, September '62. So the set was probably made sometime between that date and early '63, depending upon the length of time GEC parts lay around in their stores prior to use. Model number is BC505 by the way, chassis number AJ-48220.
What was a BB29? The original label inside states that a 9V battery, GEC type BB29 should be used. The space in the set has a spring clip that holds a PP9 correctly, so would I be correct in assuming that BB29 was a GEC branded PP9?
This is one of those eBay sets that actually far outstrips my expectation, I just need to tear myself away from listening to the thing and get cleaning.
Old 10th Nov 2005, 8:10 pm   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello JPJ,
The GEC certainly did make batteries but not quite so many as the famous blue packets! They may have been 'badge engineered' of course but I have a few genuine GEC HT batteries that were produced with grey and red cases similar to the EXIDE/DRYDEX. They may have been made for them.
I thought the BC505 was if anything around the 1960 era and the very last products actually produced in the GEC factory [Coventry?]ended in 1961. It is indeed a very good radio as most of these early quality transistor models were.
The best of luck with it. Regards. JOHN.
Old 10th Nov 2005, 10:44 pm   #5
ianj
Heptode

Smile Re: My "new" GEC!

I have 2 of these "transistor 7s" and they both sound different! One has a Gec speaker(the better sounding one) and the other, an unbranded type............they are bassy and loud..............nice tuning drive as well........ianj
Old 10th Nov 2005, 11:40 pm   #6
GJR 11L
Heptode

Hmm,
Mine has a Celestion speaker, it's got a remarkably coherent bass performance (oops, nearing audiophoolery) too.
John, the cap that's dated Sept '62 appears as original as the rest of the set, but anything's possible. I've just spotted one Mullard OC45M in there among the 6 GEC GET*** transistors, could that be a replacement part? The set certainly has an original feel and smell to it but I suppose it could have had some work when it was much younger, maybe under warranty?
Either way, it's a little corker and will freshen up nicely. Keep an eye on "Success Stories", the GEC may well make an appearance this side of Christmas, given that it just needs a valet. Famous last words.....
Old 11th Nov 2005, 1:38 am   #7
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I have a damn nice example of one of these radios, complete with its original instructions and guarantee. Both the instructions and a paper label inside the radio state the BB29 was indeed a GEC product. The precise wording in the instructions is 'The receiver is designed to operate from a 9-volts battery, GEC Cat. No. BB29 or equivalent'.

My radio also has a Celestion speaker and 3 blue 'GET's + 4 red 'GET's. It remains full of our Hunts and Plessey friends but continues to perform well.
Old 11th Nov 2005, 5:56 am   #8
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Yes, very nice radios, and I've yet to meet one with any significant fault. The earlier BC502 also turns up fairly often, and is of very similar appearance but lacks the "Seven" part of the badge (being a six transistor set) and has somewhat deeper knobs. The "oatmeal" colour of yours seems to have been easily the most popular version, but I have two in dark red as well, and a dark grey version appeared on eBay a while back. As for batteries, R+TVS for 1959-60 includes a handy equivalents chart covering six major manufacturers, and the GEC list includes versions of the PP1, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 11, with type numbers in all cases derived by substituting "BB" for "PP" and adding 20. Whether any GEC-branded PP8s, for example, ever saw the light of day, I'll not hazard a guess...

Paul
Old 11th Nov 2005, 2:27 pm   #9
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK
As for batteries, R+TVS for 1959-60 includes a handy equivalents chart covering six major manufacturers...
I have just put a copy of that on my Vintage Radio Information website here (and linked from this page).

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread