UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Nov 2005, 4:05 pm   #1
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Garrard AT6 as you may have never seen it before!

Hi fellow avocados
I have managed to clean my AT6 deck (from Blaupunkt radiogram undergoing restoration). The parts now look as they should, instead of all being brown, and I have probably removed enough nicotine to give ten people lung cancer.

It will new receive some nice fresh lubricant, instead of what resembled bonfire toffee!

I am doing a saga of this restoration, so I really must sort a website out; surgeon, heal thyself.

The first picture shows the colour of the deck, and the colour it should be when the escutcheon has been removed! The second one is everything ready to assemble - I am treating the motor separately, as usual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	decktopbef.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1890   Click image for larger version

Name:	cleaned.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	1891  
Old 5th Nov 2005, 4:14 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard AT6 as you may have never seen it before!

You're wasting your time, Mike, you should have just sprayed it with half a can of WD40 like everyone else does. I've heard it's good on clocks too

Look forward to seeing more,
Nick.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 5th Nov 2005 at 4:22 pm.
Old 5th Nov 2005, 5:58 pm   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Or better still just boiled it in SODA and dried it out in the oven.
Regards. The silly answers agency............
Old 5th Nov 2005, 6:39 pm   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist
You're wasting your time, Mike, you should have just sprayed it with half a can of WD40 like everyone else does. I've heard it's good on clocks too
Hi Nick
Clock people and WD40 are akin to bulls and red rags! No bits left over now, which is always a good sign - when I took the pics this afternoon they were all left over!
Just to motor to overhaul, quick once-over on the radio - clean knobs and dial, lubricate switches and pots, check ECL86 coupling caps and triode anode load resistors, and a few missing brass studs on the padded cocktail cabinet, and my ten quid find will be a very nice and functional furniture. Especially the cocktail cabinet.....
Old 5th Nov 2005, 6:47 pm   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort
Or better still just boiled it in SODA and dried it out in the oven.
People used to do this with clocks - it was one of the tips espoused in magazines.
It did clean the clock and get it running if only a clean was required, but the essential lubrication did not happen, so it would have a stort but interesting life.

I have seen bits of rag soaked in paraffin in clock cases as well, from the same sort of sources.

When I moved 'oop North' in 1966 and found a job at a local radio and TV shop, they did not trust me to work on the electronic bits that I had been working on for the last five years, and consigned me to appliances - I hated having to work on fan heaters, toasters and irons!

I moaned a bit, then was let loose on tape decks autochangers, so am more than familiar with these!

After a year or two I want back to radio and TV, electronic organs and audio stuff, being the only engineer.