UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Mar 2004, 8:04 pm   #1
joe
Rest in Peace

Default LT supply in early portables

A recent posting about a McMichael " Duplex four " led me to wonder what was used to energise the filaments.

A table radio would have used a 2volt lead-acid accumulator, but a suitcase portable, which can be carried at 90[sup]o[/sup]to its normal playing position

Did one really carry a jar of sulphuric acid on a picnic, or was there some other means of getting an LT supply for these early portables? ( if 25-30lb is really portable)

Joe
Old 16th Mar 2004, 11:46 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: LT supply in early portables

Hi Joe,

There were several versions of the Duplex Four; three of which were battery ( only ) sets publicised as being 'transportable'. They were not 'suitcase' portables at all, being more like ordinary tabletop radios of an appearance quite typical of their time. Presumably McMichael called them 'transportable' due to their non requirement of a mains supply and for no other reason.

On the subject of accumulators, all battery sets, regardless of size, were effectively transportables. Don't forget that seventy years ago there was far less paranoia over safety than there is today, so accumulators wouldn't have been seen as a problem. It would have been purely down to the common sense of the radio's owner to ensure the accumulator was kept secure and upright.
Old 17th Mar 2004, 11:05 am   #3
joe
Rest in Peace

Thanks Darren

Mine is a type S so it really is like a smallish suitcase, but as it is unlikely to leave the house (loft/garage) I won't worry too much.

Joe
Old 17th Mar 2004, 3:04 pm   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Type S ? not heard of that one
Old 17th Mar 2004, 5:39 pm   #5
joe
Rest in Peace

There is an identical one in Radio!Radio! page 127, fig368.

I got it from a guy in Surrey, free, but a £25 donation to Children in Need. It looks as though its not been touched for many years, and although the battery leads are completely rotten there are still two spade connectors floating loose in the battery compartment which look the right size for an accumulator.

Joe
Old 17th Mar 2004, 11:19 pm   #6
Robert-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Returning to Joe's original question ...

Accumulators made for portables from the mid 1920's onwards were usually of the " unspillable " variety, which meant the sulphuric acid electrolyte was made into a sort of jelly. I've no idea what the technology was (gelatine?)

I believe the cases were often bakelite or celluloid to save (a bit) of weight.

Judging from the mess inside some portables I've seen of the period, the term " unspillable " should be loosely interpreted!

Robert
Old 19th Mar 2004, 3:02 pm   #7
Chris_C
Hexode

Hi All

This is a recipe for a 'Jelly Electrolyte' taken from Bernards Radio Manual 'Calling Men At War'

A fast setting mixture which jellifies in 10 minutes is prepared as follows:-
1 part pure sodium silicate of specific gravity 1.200 mixed with 3 parts of cold sulphuric acid of 1.400 specific gravity

I don't know of anyone who's tried it.

Old 19th Mar 2004, 3:18 pm   #8
GMB
Dekatron

Some " unspillable " accumulators just had some kind of wadding into which the acid was soaked. I have in my loft an example of a (fairly) high tension miniature lead-acid accumulator which I think was intended for something military. You had to fill and top up the cells using a hypodermic syringe!

I'm not sure what would happen today if you went down to the local chemist and asked to buy a hypodermic suitable for acid
Closed Thread