UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Apr 2004, 10:21 pm   #1
ianj
Heptode

Default a disturbing thought on DAB........

Hi everyone............
heres a disturbing thought...............................; with a good valve radio you can tune round Europe in the day, and around the World at night........................my Saba Frieburg 125, with a VERY careful positioning of 10 ft of wire, will recieve, at the back of my house, Saga 105.7fm from the west midlands at good strength,and I am in Hayes, west London! 100 miles!!---

With DAB, you only recieve what they WANT you to recieve........................think about it.......what is the future for radio as the most important form of communication? Worrying, isnt it?
Old 11th Apr 2004, 1:19 pm   #2
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: a disturbing thought on DAB........

You raise a very good point here. With DAB and indeed all digital tv you only get what " they " want to give you.
But saying that if you live in a good coverage area you get a choice of up to 40 different stations.
I remember this same concern being raised in a letter to the Radio Times back in the early 1970's about everyone being equiped with vhf and uhf tv and radios with many people not being able to receive anything from the next county yet alone the next country.
I think it is a very healthy state of affairs that we can listen to other countries directly via the AM bands and I hope this point of freedom is never denied to any of us who want to seek an alternative point of view to the one that is fed to us by our own news organisations.
Old 11th Apr 2004, 1:44 pm   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Although the quality is low, there is always internet radio. With a broadband connection the sound isn't too bad if the station has a higher bitrate feed. Probably better for speach than music though.

There's a wide range available, around the world. See http://www.live-radio.net/info.shtml (try to ignore all the advertising...).

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 11th Apr 2004, 4:46 pm   #4
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

DRM (Digital Radio Mondial) should become a standard for digital AM broadcasting soon. It claims to offer stereo and near FM quality on LW/MW/SW. I suppose the actual quality will depend on how low they push the bit rate.

http://www.drm.org/
Old 11th Apr 2004, 9:40 pm   #5
avro
Heptode

I don't think it is so bad with DAB. It gives us something else to listen to (40 or so stations here) and we can always fall back on other types of radio broadcasting - although I find I am using broadband more and more rather than shortwave. :

BVWS member
Closed Thread