UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Sep 2018, 8:47 pm   #41
robin0577
Pentode

Default Re: "How many valves does a man need?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4_Pete View Post
"How many valves does a man need"?
I should think that for a good many of us, the answer is genuinely "a shed load"
Old 26th Sep 2018, 9:58 pm   #42
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
If you had one of every type, how many would that be?
I've seen several figures quoted, something between 4,000 and 6,000 different types of valve having been produced during the valve 'era'. A glance at my 14th Edition of the Avo Valve Data Manual lists around 5,600 types, so perhaps 6,000 is nearer the mark.

My collection currently contains around 2,600, although there are many duplicates. Most of these just seemed to arrive by the boxload from donors who seem glad that their valves are going to a good home. It is very rare for me to actually need to buy a valve nowadays.

I've stopped worrying about not having a particular valve when I need one, largely because a 'wanted' post on this Forum invariably produces an offer from another kind member, either at very reasonable cost or FOC. I have both donated and received valves in this way over the years, so it's probably correct to say that virtually any valve genuinely needed by a restorer will exist in another member's collection. The massed collections held by Forum members will probably include every type of valve ever made, although I'm excluding the PX4s and PX25s of this world, as well as most tuning indicators...!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 26th Sep 2018, 11:42 pm   #43
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4YVM David View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
Would that be "n+1 drawerfulls?
Err, no.

n+1 drawers full

".
I disagree. Since the "draw full" is a generally understood non specific unit of measure, much like a "spoonfull", then surely drawerfulls and spoonfulls are quite correct??

Well, if we're really picky, the single word is drawerful, not drawerfull or draw full. (What is a draw full?) For which drawerfuls is acceptable though drawersful also exists. Stick two ls on and it has to be drawer full or drawers full.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 27th Sep 2018, 12:50 am   #44
Refugee
Dekatron

Lets try these
They look full enough to me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0073.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	169939  
Old 27th Sep 2018, 7:35 am   #45
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

It strikes me that a significant proportion of electronic component production is destined to end up languishing unused in hobbyists' storage boxes!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 27th Sep 2018, 7:41 am   #46
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Better than languishing unusable in landfill though, surely.
Old 27th Sep 2018, 8:02 am   #47
trsomian
Hexode

My wife is similarly distressed at the amount of stuff I have, both electronic and otherwise.

One day I was doing something in the garage, when she came to find me with the woeful tale that the washing machine was not happy. I investigated to find the motor not at all happy, which I reported to her. "What do we do now" was her response. To which I replied, "I fit the spare motor I suppose". "have we got one" was her reply, to which I responded with "yes it is one of the things in the garage".

She was over joyed I got it working again so quickly, but mortified that something in the garage was useful to HER.

Such incidents do relieve the pressure a bit
Old 27th Sep 2018, 8:15 am   #48
crackle
Rest in Peace

Isn't calling the washing machine "hers" a bit like buying a nice new ironing board cover as a present. A sure fire way of being put in the dog house.

It's so strange, she can buy me a roll of solder or a pack of capacitors any day.

Mike
Old 27th Sep 2018, 8:40 am   #49
trsomian
Hexode

Beg pardon, I did not refer to the washing machine as "hers"; in fact it was mine before we got married, not hers, so if anything is still mine. However, at least on that occasion, it was she who was feeding it etc so the motor was useful to her
Old 27th Sep 2018, 10:14 am   #50
turretslug
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
It strikes me that a significant proportion of electronic component production is destined to end up languishing unused in hobbyists' storage boxes!
That must be very true in a lot of cases- but common interest forums like this must be invaluable in helping to re-distribute at least some electronic Cinderellas in response to requests. I wouldn't be surprised if some shortages of components are self-fulfilling in that a rumour spreads that so-and-so is ceasing production of such-and-such and everyone buys more than they need "just in case", then never uses 90% of whatever it was.

Colin
Old 27th Sep 2018, 1:22 pm   #51
G4YVM David
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by trsomian View Post
Beg pardon, I did not refer to the washing machine as "hers"; in fact it was mine before we got married, not hers, so if anything is still mine. However, at least on that occasion, it was she who was feeding it etc so the motor was useful to her

...and all my worldy goods with thee I share...

Or as my wife puts it "What's yours in mine, what's mine is mine"
Closed Thread