UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jul 2020, 11:59 am   #1
Topcatuk
Diode

Default Sharp SG320-E cassette and balance issue

Hi all , absolute novice here !

Purchased a sharp music centre , as I love the look of them and takes me back to my teenage years

Record and radio work fantastic however

The speaker balance works but needs to be nearer to right to get balance right

And the main is is the cassette . I’m hoping someone tells me it’s just a belt . So when first playing a cassette as soon as you press play I get a thumping noise , solved this from previous posts on here but when paying the left wheel turns And plays for a second but the right wheel doesn’t wind and after a couple of seconds it stops playing . It forwards and rewinds find . It just seems to be the right wheel when play is the only fault . Any thoughts ? Please treat me as a simpleton hahah thanks in advance
Old 4th Jul 2020, 11:31 pm   #2
Fidelity Fan
Hexode

Default Re: Sharp SG320-E cassette and balance issue

I have not seen one of these music centres, but I found this link to pictures of an SG-320H which may help.
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sharp_sg_320_hsg320.html .

It shows the cassette mechanism. I would check the belts(s) and the condition of the rubber idler shown in the picture of the cassette mechanism. It would be prudent to remove both spools, clean them with IPA and put a drop of light sewing machine oil on the spindles before refitting the spools. Also check condition of the pinchroller.

Service Manual available here: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...p/sg-320.shtml

Last edited by Fidelity Fan; 4th Jul 2020 at 11:48 pm.
Old 5th Jul 2020, 9:56 am   #3
Topcatuk
Diode

Thanks so much, those links are very helpful.
Old 5th Jul 2020, 8:24 pm   #4
Fidelity Fan
Hexode

Pleased to help. Having had a closer look at the photo of the cassette mechanism, the drive belt from the motor and the rubber tyre on the idler wheel, (which I expect drives the take up spindle in playback mode), are the top suspects.

As you will appreciate, OEM spare parts won't be available for this unit now. There used to be kits available of various audio idler and pinchroller sizes to repair decks. Once you find out what is wrong, another forum member may be able to help with parts.
Old 5th Jul 2020, 11:25 pm   #5
Topcatuk
Diode

Thanks , seems a few posts about belts , thanks again , should have some fun with it I am sure
Old 6th Jul 2020, 12:01 am   #6
Fidelity Fan
Hexode

Keep us posted how you get on.
Old 6th Jul 2020, 4:03 pm   #7
ben
Dekatron

That rubber idler tyre seems to drive the take up spool off the capstan shaft. Give it a good once over with fine sandpaper and it should grip again!
Closed Thread