UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Mar 2021, 4:27 pm   #1
SteveCG
Nonode

Default RTE to cease DAB Broadcasting

I was rather surprised to hear this announced on RTE Long Wave radio. Secession date the 31st of March this year.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021...e-dab-network/
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 4:40 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: RTE to cease DAB Broadcasting

DAB penetration has never been very high in the Republic. There's no commercial sector on DAB, and RTÉ have always been rather lukewarm about it.
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 4:53 pm   #3
Julesomega
Nonode

Shame, but who needs radio anyway? - unless you want to carry a radio further than your wi-fi will reach

I've just bought a little DAB/FM portable from Tesco, it takes 100mA min from 4 × AA's and tolerates rechargeables down to 4.0V so I carry it round the house all day

It's good here
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 5:52 pm   #4
agardiner
Octode

Long live FM and AM!
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 5:56 pm   #5
Boulevardier
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by agardiner View Post
Long live FM and AM!
Yes! This withdrawal feels like a big step forward!

Mike
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 6:15 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I occasionally listen to RTÉ - and from what I can remember have never heard them advertise the fact that they're available "on Digital Radio".

The same seems to be the case here in UKOGBANI: stations generally say something like "On FM, on your smartspeaker and on your mobile [or online, on Global Player/BBC Sounds]" or simplistically 'on Digital' - without any mention of actual digital-radios.
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 6:36 pm   #7
agardiner
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
I occasionally listen to RTÉ - and from what I can remember have never heard them advertise the fact that they're available "on Digital Radio".

The same seems to be the case here in UKOGBANI: stations generally say something like "On FM, on your smartspeaker and on your mobile [or online, on Global Player/BBC Sounds]" or simplistically 'on Digital' - without any mention of actual digital-radios.
You are so right! 'On BBC Sounds, on your smart speaker and on 88 - 91FM, this is BBC Radio 2'

Buy Buy DAB.
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 6:44 pm   #8
emeritus
Dekatron

100mA is greater than the current drawn by the motor of my old EL3302 cassette recorder. I just measured the quiescent current of the analogue Tandy "Voice of the World" mono AM/FM radio I normally use indoors: 30mA quiescent, rising to about 50mA with music peaks at a just sub-distortion volume setting than I seldom need to use. It will still work when the nominal 6V from its four AA cells has fallen to 3V. Converely my non-digital, but using digital technology PLL tuning, Sony portable of the same size, gives up the ghost when its nominal 4.5V battery voltage has fallen to 4.0V.
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 6:50 pm   #9
barrymagrec
Octode

I`ve never admitted (on surveys and such) to having a DAB radio because I don`t want add to the argument for turning off FM but we use DAB round the house for R4 and the cricket, very effective.

I wouldn`t want to be without R3 on FM and Longwave R4 is excellent if you are abroad but medium wave I don`t really care about. I always saw DAB as a medium wave replacement with better quality and a few more stations.
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 7:10 pm   #10
agardiner
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymagrec View Post
I always saw DAB as a medium wave replacement with better quality and a few more stations.
And that is basically what it is - better quality than MW but with the typical bit rates and mono transmissions of most stations, it certainly isn't a replacement for FM.
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 8:13 pm   #11
Martin Bush
Octode

We have DAB in the car and I find it infuriating as it's so complex finding the station you want. I have FM set up as I want it and its rock solid.
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 8:35 pm   #12
Kentode
Octode

There are currently 70+ minimods about to be constructed by members of this forum and a DAB+ radio will be ideal for a source!

BVWS member
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 11:28 pm   #13
lightning
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Bush View Post
We have DAB in the car and I find it infuriating as it's so complex finding the station you want. I have FM set up as I want it and its rock solid.
Same here, recently bought a DAB/FM car stereo and what a nightmare to set up the DAB, and actually find the stations l want.
They are in "groups" and unless you select the correct "group" you get none of the stations that you want.

I've defaulted to FM, as it's so much easier. Also DAB appears more "boomy" as if there's too much lower midrange.
l've tried to adjust it using the sophisticated tone controls but can't get it to sound as nice as FM.

lf it wasn't for the bluetooth phone connectivity l would put my old stereo back in.
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 11:48 pm   #14
kellymarie
Pentode

Does this mean we might see Tullamoor returning to the air if I remember correctly it was on 612 kilocycles and was a good signal here in the south west. Can anyone remember what the other mediumwave site was in Ireland? I just can't remember
Old 4th Mar 2021, 12:16 am   #15
paulsherwin

There was the well known Athlone transmitter of course.

It's extremely unlikely that these big Irish MW transmitters will be recommissioned. I imagine the transmitters themselves are long gone. They were on their last legs when they were turned off.

I think there is some suggestion that a broadcasting museum may be built on the Athlone site.
Old 4th Mar 2021, 12:34 am   #16
winston_1
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesomega View Post
Shame, but who needs radio anyway? - unless you want to carry a radio further than your wi-fi will reach

I've just bought a little DAB/FM portable from Tesco, it takes 100mA min from 4 × AA's and tolerates rechargeables down to 4.0V so I carry it round the house all day
I bought one of their DAB radios not long ago. It went back pretty sharpish when I found it was obsolete (no DAB +). I followed this with a email to tech support asking why they were selling obsolete equipment. Cut a long story short they initially did not know what I was on about, but finally sent me a £25 goodwill voucher.
Old 4th Mar 2021, 12:34 am   #17
Junk Box Nick
Octode

RTE have wanted to be rid of 252 for a long time. Some years ago late one autumn they suddenly announced it was to close at the end of January the following year. There was a campaign by/on behalf of the Irish community in the UK for it to be retained. Since then the wick has been turned down considerably – I’d say it’s probably not running more than 50kW and Algeria came back on which hasn’t helped. It’s a shame as I used to listen regularly. Where I'm sitting is about the same distance from the Tx as is Cork so it won't be making it there at night – at least I can null out Algeria.

I read elsewhere that some of the MW masts have gone. I think one mast remains at Tullamore but stand to be corrected.

Population of Ireland is only 5m so that limits the number of stations that can be sustained and they can probably be accommodated comfortably on FM.
Old 4th Mar 2021, 8:47 am   #18
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Has usual there is more to the story than just closing DAB, according to this article RTE are having to cut their operating costs with redundancies, allowances etc. Some stations on DAB were also to be closed completely but have been reprieved to continue on TV, internet.
DAB with its small audience is the first of its transmitters to be closed. An article in the Irish times suggests that “Amazon Alexa” and other smart speaker use is is gaining audience share and in future could overtake radio transmissions, we shall see, time will tell.
Interesting times, things change, sometimes for better other for worse depending on your point of view.
I mainly use DAB+, at home and in the car, for me it just works and easy to use. Has long as I have the stations I like to listen to I am not too worried about the transmission, only that it works and is reliable.
https://extra.ie/2021/02/03/featured...s-proposed-rte
https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...need-1.4500405
Old 8th Mar 2021, 6:32 pm   #19
linescan87
Heptode

Default Closedown of RTE DAB services.

Hi All,

In an effort to reduce costs and having not got their way with closing down the long wave service RTE have decided to withdraw DAB services as of March 31. DAB never caught on here and coverage was fairly poor. They of course neglected to mention that there there are several pirate operators on DAB in Cork.

https://about.rte.ie/2021/03/02/rte-...ces-to-remain/

www.youtube.com/c/ojnojirishvintagetvandradio
Closed Thread