UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Mar 2021, 4:21 pm   #21
KA2030RF
Triode

Default Re: ITT KA 2030 Issues

Success, but not sorted.

Soldered new connectors plus heatshrink to the headslide cables.

Used carpet tape adhesive film to attach the 3559 cartridge to its clip.

Played with the headphone switch a few times.

Connected headslide cables to the cartridge as noted from various sources and on-line diagrams.

Left Right
+ White + Red Top
- Black - Green Bottom

But LH channel still not working.

Go through everything again only to notice that my 3559 cartridge has the cable connections minutely marked on its moulding at the pin end. And interstingly the + / - are marked reversed vertically on the LH pins. Ie the LH + is at the bottom and the RH + at the top.

So swapped the LH cables round to;

Left Right
- Black + Red Top
+ White - Green Bottom

Both channels now working.

Removed the headslide assy to check all cables ok (a very big mistake) and LH channel not working!

So thats where I'm at. At least I know the amp is ok, but there is another issue yet to be resolved.
I did notice one of the cartridge pins, lower LH side, was loose. So maybe an internal cartridge issue. TBC
Old 11th Mar 2021, 6:00 pm   #22
G6ONEDave
Octode

My guess is it's the contacts where the headslide and tonearm fit together. When the headslide is out again, try using a small jewellers screwdriver and push it under each of the contacts of the headslide where they make their contact to the tonearm. The plan is to slightly raise them in the middle a bit like a hump back bridge. Be very careful as you don't want to snap or force them too much. The idea is that with these contacts slightly raised, they will make a better electrical friction connection with the fixed contacts of the tonearm. Be very careful though.
Dave
Old 19th Mar 2021, 4:17 pm   #23
KA2030RF
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6ONEDave View Post
My guess is it's the contacts where the headslide and tonearm fit together. When the headslide is out again, try using a small jewellers screwdriver and push it under each of the contacts of the headslide where they make their contact to the tonearm. The plan is to slightly raise them in the middle a bit like a hump back bridge. Be very careful as you don't want to snap or force them too much. The idea is that with these contacts slightly raised, they will make a better electrical friction connection with the fixed contacts of the tonearm. Be very careful though.
Dave
Prized the headshell slide contacts up a tad, fitted new 3559 cartidge, all works perfect on both channels now. I beleive the former is where my problem lay.

Thanks to all who provided help and advice, much appreciated. KA2030 is not super audio quality but for me i love it Proper 70s memories.
Closed Thread