UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Oct 2021, 6:47 am   #41
Panrock
Nonode

Default Re: What Was The Popular TV That People Watched Queen Elizabeth's Coronation on in 19

How sensitive was it Albert? What sort of aerial did you use?

Steve
Old 18th Oct 2021, 8:22 am   #42
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Default Re: What Was The Popular TV That People Watched Queen Elizabeth's Coronation on in 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
There are many pairs of tinted glasses when it comes to the Coronation and the BUSH TV22. I don't think the TV22 was still in production in the early months of 1953 so the idea of buying one 'for the Coronation' has to be taken with a cube of sugar.

The TV22A was available but sold in very small quantities. It's quite a rare receiver. More likely a TV32, TV34 series would have been purchased to view the historic day if indeed it had been purchased in time for the event.

The vast majority of the TV22s were sold before the King died in 1952
Just a thought but I think the 'nine inch Bush' term was used a bit like the Dansette
name is for record players. John.
Agreed, in the first half of 1953, half the sets sold were 12" and one quarter were 14". 9"/10" came in at just 3% - and was only 4% the previous year. Attached are the figures as calculated by BREMA.

Judging by the advertising of the time, Bush's entry level set was the TV24.

TTFN,
Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TVSizes.png
Views:	85
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	243655   Click image for larger version

Name:	EveningDispatch_1953-05-15(Fri)_Bush_TV24_AC31.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	243656  
Old 18th Oct 2021, 10:32 am   #43
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I remember watching the Coronation on my Grans 12" Ekco, with a load of folks in the "best" room.
Old 18th Oct 2021, 10:35 am   #44
Rich Woods
Pentode

I wasn’t born at the time but my parents bought a 9” Pye to watch it on
Old 18th Oct 2021, 10:56 am   #45
barrymagrec
Octode

My parents would have watched it on an HMV1805 - I was only two so I don`t remember it.

I do remember that the tube didn`t last long on that set and my Dad replaced it with a newer rectangular tube. He later tried to re-tune a spare TRF front end section to work with a Philips turret tuner but that never worked out.

Last edited by barrymagrec; 18th Oct 2021 at 11:03 am.
Old 18th Oct 2021, 6:57 pm   #46
Brigham
Octode

Anyone watch the previous Coronation?
Old 18th Oct 2021, 7:10 pm   #47
bobhowe
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigham View Post
The King George V1 was broadcast on Hi definition Marconi EMI 405 system i was not around in 1937
Old 19th Oct 2021, 8:56 am   #48
Viewmaster
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post
How sensitive was it Albert? What sort of aerial did you use?

Steve
It was used at Shepherds Bush in a block of flats on the first floor.
About 10 miles from Ally Pally.

The aerial was a short length of wire in the same room.
Set was on top of a roll top desk without any cabinet at first !

Reception was good, especially from passing traffic in the main
Goldhawk Rd!
Old 19th Oct 2021, 8:57 am   #49
Pete_kaye
Octode

I remember watching , aged 6, in the downstairs room at Thornsett Rd SE 20 with my grandad, great uncle and aunt and younger brother and sister. I think it was a Tv22 with closed curtains and an aerial that went up to the chimney pot. Us children were soon bored but it was raining so we had to stay in!
The Queen of Tonga was a highlight in an open carriage and the crowning was memorable.
Later , in 1953 , I am sure I watched cricket for the first time and Simpson and Hutton were batting against the Aussies. But I digress....
Old 19th Oct 2021, 10:46 am   #50
Peter.N.
Dekatron

The previous coronation was two years too early for me, but there is no way my parents could have afforded a TV anyway.

Peter
Old 19th Oct 2021, 1:00 pm   #51
mark pirate
Dekatron

I think the TV22 & the Pye LV/BV20/30. were the cheapest sets on the market at the time, they certainly sold in huge numbers, hence how many are still around today.

I know for a fact that one of my TV22's was originally purchased for the coronation, as I have the bill of sale, including the price of the aerial installation!

Mark
Old 19th Oct 2021, 1:47 pm   #52
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigham View Post
The 1937 Coronation was not televised as such as cameras were not allowed in the Abbey. Cameras were placed along the actual route and by all accounts despite the poor weather, very good pictures were received.
A mile stone if ever there was one.

If you were say 10 in 1937, you would be 94 now. Possible of course but the chances of owning a television receiver as early as May 1937 and being alive today and well worth an interview! Regards, John.
Old 19th Oct 2021, 2:59 pm   #53
Panrock
Nonode

A milestone indeed. Three cameras were used - all at Apsley Gate. Source: 1938 BBC Handbook. See attached.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	37c.gif
Views:	53
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	243752  
Old 19th Oct 2021, 3:48 pm   #54
Panrock
Nonode

And I wonder what the most popular television set was - to watch that coronation?

Steve
Old 19th Oct 2021, 3:58 pm   #55
ex 2 Base
Heptode

I was in army REME at Malvern, and we all had to pay 6 pence (I think it was, no choice in the army) and a projection TV was installed for the day. On the following Saturday a big parade took place in Worcester city, transport there, walk back to Malvern. We were very fit. Ted
Old 19th Oct 2021, 5:35 pm   #56
slidertogrid
Octode

My Mum remembers watching the coronation on my grandad's TV, she is 90 so would have been 22 and fairly newly married. She said grandad had a brand new shiny aerial on the roof she felt very proud of her dad when she saw it! I suppose Television was a bit of a status symbol back then! This was before the Morborne transmitter was built so I assume the signal came from Sutton Coldfield ? Grandad was a coalman for the co-op who still used the horse and cart, Grandad never had a driving licence.
Mum said the house was packed with friends and neighbours, Grandma was kept busy with tea and cake all day! No Idea what the set was though.

I would be surprised if he had the money to buy a set but if there were no rental firms he must have done. Later on he had a Murphy, it was the barrel type with the sound mirror that also acted as the power switch. I remember watching Dr Who on it every Saturday as we always had tea at my grandparents as my dad and uncle would go to watch Posh!

My other grandparents had a Baird which my dad said was pretty poor, he watched a football match on it and said you could just about see what was going on! He remembered the set had a tiny screen and a little badge on the front with a silhouette of JLB .
This was all long before my time!
Old 20th Oct 2021, 4:28 pm   #57
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Thinking about it a large number of families must have watched the Coronation on a PYE D16T. They sold in very large numbers partly due to the excellent write ups given in magazines and technical journals.

This particular example was delivered and installed one day before the Victory parade in London in June 1946. It was presented to me together with the PYE V14C they purchased ten years later, many years ago.

The lady had vivid memories of the Coronation and the 1948 Olympic Games. It must have been really exciting to have the opportunity to have watched these historic broadcasts.

It may well have had the advantage of increasing it's picture size with a liquid paraffin filled magnifier as can be seen in one of these pictures. The actual picture is very sharp and bright, very difficult to photograph!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PYE D16T (1).jpg
Views:	60
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	243818   Click image for larger version

Name:	PYE D16T (2).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	243819   Click image for larger version

Name:	PYE D16T (3).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	243820  
Old 20th Oct 2021, 4:33 pm   #58
bobhowe
Heptode

Hi John would that PYE V14C been one of the top of the range sets in its day? Kind regards, Bob.
Old 20th Oct 2021, 4:49 pm   #59
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

No Bob. It was a middle of the road model in 1956 and gave a lot of problems. It was of course purchased after the Coronation but if you want to know more, if it is still in the archive it makes interesting reading. I wrote it up about ten years ago[?] John.
Old 20th Oct 2021, 5:07 pm   #60
Cobaltblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhowe View Post
Hi John would that PYE V14C been one of the top of the range sets in its day? Kind regards, Bob.
Hi Bob if your interested in what models would have been around in 1953, go to Jon Evans (Duke_Nukem) excellent web site (if you have not discovered it already) :

https://www.thevalvepage.com/index.shtml

Go to the Television Manufacturers tab.

Spend a few hours in there looking at all the goodies

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread