UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Oct 2021, 9:49 pm   #1
bobhowe
Heptode

Default What Was The Popular TV That People Watched Queen Elizabeth's Coronation on in 1953?

What was the most popular make and model TV that people watched the Queens Coronation kind regards Bob
Old 14th Oct 2021, 10:07 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: What Was The Popular TV That People Watched The Queen Elizabeth Coronation in 19

Don't know its rumoured to be the Bush TV22.

I'm more interested in the fact that my Father was at the Queens Coronation as he was a Sergeant in the Coldstream Guards. He has a Queens Coronation Medal.

I have searched the footage to see if I can spot him

No luck so far.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 14th Oct 2021, 10:18 pm   #3
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: What Was The Popular TV That People Watched The Queen Elizabeth Coronation in 19

I would say the TV22 too, just because of how many still exist today. There must've been a fair few around then for that many to survive now, i'd imagine many were disposed of in some way or another too

'77
Old 14th Oct 2021, 10:18 pm   #4
KeithsTV
Nonode

The TV22 I have was bought specially for the Coronation by the in-laws of a former work colleague who I bought it from.

My parents went round to a neighbours house to watch it but I have no idea what set they watched it on as I was outside in my pram!

Keith
Old 14th Oct 2021, 10:25 pm   #5
Hartley118
Nonode

It was a a Pye FV1 console for our family. I have a strong recollection of sitting on the floor in front of the set on Coronation day and experiencing some long periods of boredom punctuated by a few items of interest.

Excellent 12-inch picture and decent sound though.

Martin
Old 15th Oct 2021, 9:40 am   #6
lesmw0sec
Octode

I seem to recall seeing it on a Bush. It was one of only two sets in the village and we were all crammed in to a small living room.
Old 15th Oct 2021, 10:09 am   #7
simpsons
Octode

This is a difficult one as it it is said over 20 million watched the event on television.

My family wasn't one.

We did have a set, a Bush TUG 26, and close neighbours invited into our home in Garden Avenue Mitcham to view. Crowded into the back room, my Dad with some bravado switched the set on. Anticipation of the event must have been electric.

I was only 6 and so much of the occasion was passed down to me.

But anyway, the attended audience waited and waited. There was sound but no picture. What ever was wrong, I'll never know but I bet a few red faces all round. The set once repaired lasted forever.

Back to the question, didn't RTMA publish the number of sets manufactured and if so is there some way of delving into the records?

Chris
Old 15th Oct 2021, 10:29 am   #8
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Has to be the TV22 just from the number of survivors, albeit that's been assisted by its visual charms. As another compact set toward the affordable end of things which to me seems easily the second most prevalent model of those available pre-Coronation, if I were a gambling man I'd back the Pye B18T as having had the second largest number of eyeballs facing it that day.

Paul
Old 15th Oct 2021, 11:33 am   #9
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: What Was The Popular TV That People Watched Queen Elizabeth's Coronation on in 19

I watched it on a 14" KB only then recently released.

Peter
Old 15th Oct 2021, 2:17 pm   #10
raditechman
Heptode

Default Re: What Was The Popular TV That People Watched Queen Elizabeth's Coronation on in 19

I watched in my next-door neighbour's house on a Bush TV22

John
Old 15th Oct 2021, 3:24 pm   #11
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I watched next door's TV - i think it was a Bush, but a wooden cabinet - possibly a TV24.

We didn't have a TV in the house till my father died in 1957.
Old 15th Oct 2021, 5:23 pm   #12
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I wasn't born at the time; none of my family could have seen the Coronation because there was as yet no TV signal available where they lived [the Band-I VHF signal from Sutton Coldfield was blocked by a local hill - The Wrekin - which in due course became the location for a UHF TV transmitter]
Old 15th Oct 2021, 8:49 pm   #13
murphyv310
Dekatron

Mum and Dad watched it on a home made TV utilising a VCR97.
The TV22 was alleged to be sold in big numbers for the event as the TV22 was the basic and cheapest due to its "inferior" cabinet and small CRT, the TV24 had of course as we know a quality wooden cabinet and 12 inch CRT.
Things now have changed with TV24's often being donors for TV22s.
Old 16th Oct 2021, 10:04 am   #14
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I remember the VCR97, was it green or white? and the EF50's or VR91's ex wd.

Peter
Old 16th Oct 2021, 10:19 am   #15
John M0GLN
Octode

We didn't have a TV then so we went to the Regal Cinema in Warminster where we used to live, the local Radio/TV shop 'Lesken Radio' had set up a projection TV there.

John
Old 16th Oct 2021, 11:27 am   #16
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

It's a difficult one due to the huge variety of receivers that were around back then.
The Bush series were certainly popular being the equivalent of the PHILCO peoples set radio of 1936.
Other very popular models as mentioned were the PYE B18T series but being A TRF reception was limited to Sutton Coldfield and A.P. areas.
All the PYE models were incredibly popular. The FV1/FV4/ V4/LV30/51 etc.
The FERGUSON 941T and the Birmingham version sold in very large numbers as did the EKCO TS88 series and it's many model variants.
The HMV series were very popular but I doubt the AC/DC versions managed to last the full duration of the Coronation Broadcast. I believe it was seven hours with a break at the end of the Abbey ceremony.
My sister watched the Coronation at her friends house in Merton Road Southfields near Wimbledon. I asked her recently about her memories of the day and she said that the picture was bright and clear but very small. The local Murphy dealer was just around the corner from their house so I guess it may have been a Murphy.
I was not allowed to go with her fearing I may have been a 'nuisance' being four years eleven months old... Great pity because I'm sure I would have remembered it. John.
Old 16th Oct 2021, 11:29 am   #17
Petedox
Pentode

After rebuilding my TV22 I bought a copy of the Radio Times 'Coronation Number' and Practical Television from the same period to accompany the set.

The Radio Times features articles by Ralph Vaughan Williams on a Masque for Dancing, an article on Shakespeare and several poems. I guess these days it would be games shows!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211016_100801667.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	243517  
Old 16th Oct 2021, 12:10 pm   #18
Vintage Engr
Heptode

I watched it on a Pye V4,

We had a friend who was in the TV trade and those of us who didn't possess a TV crowded into his living room to watch it!

That's what first got me interested in TV engineering.

David,

Last edited by Vintage Engr; 16th Oct 2021 at 12:11 pm. Reason: Typo error.
Old 16th Oct 2021, 12:12 pm   #19
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.N. View Post
I remember the VCR97, was it green or white? and the EF50's or VR91's ex wd.

Peter
The VCR97 was green.

David.
Old 16th Oct 2021, 12:21 pm   #20
FERNSEH
Dekatron

In the December 1979 an article about the Bush TV22 by Malcolm Burrell we learn that the designers of the set, Messrs, Asbury, Wright and Lloyd of Bush presented a paper to the then Television Society describing their new baby.
The final paragraph of the article states: "Many have said that the Coronation put TV on the map. This is indeed true, but one wonders how many people would not have been able to afford to see it had the TV22 not been around?"

DFWB.

Last edited by FERNSEH; 16th Oct 2021 at 12:34 pm.
Closed Thread