UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Oct 2021, 8:39 pm   #1
AidanCroft
Tetrode

Default What year is this Pye TV set from?

Hiya,

There's some suggestion this is a Pye BT-18 from 1950 but I thought the model was from 1948 or earlier?

It looks like a number, 690146, found inside the set might be of some use.

Does the inside look relatively alright? I know it has the very old style antenna connector end - is this something I can find for sale so I can connect it to my Hedgehog converter?

I'm looking to acquire it for my collection. In the photos, it's the lower of the two sets.

Kind regards,

Aidan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	243269   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	243270   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1 (1).jpg
Views:	259
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	243271   Click image for larger version

Name:	655758495.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	243272   Click image for larger version

Name:	655758530.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	243273  

Old 12th Oct 2021, 9:07 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: What year is this Pye TV set from?

B18T:

https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/ID...rch=%22b18t%22

?

Lawrence.
Old 12th Oct 2021, 9:39 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidanCroft View Post
Does the inside look relatively alright? I know it has the very old style antenna connector end - is this something I can find for sale so I can connect it to my Hedgehog converter?
It looks relatively intact BUT you can't tell just by looking at it just how much work is required to bring it up to a good standard. The sliders are notorious for being troublesome and difficult to repair. It will need a complete recap to make it reliable. I'm sure you can devise an adaptor for the aerial connector.
Old 17th Oct 2021, 11:48 am   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The big problem especially as the years have rolled on is failure of the LOPT. The overwind usually breaks down with a 'fizz' shortly after you have replaced all the usual caps and obtained a good picture! Very frustrating! Baking it for a few hours in a very low oven or passing a current through the overwind for a number of days before you power the chassis up may help prevent this but in my experience they either break down or work! This series of models dates from the dawning age of flyback EHT in this country.
It is a very difficult transformer to rewind being potted in tar with segregated overwinds.

Just a warning if you intend to restore it and by the look of it has been poorly stored and more likely to LOPT breakdown. John.
PS Use two Wander plugs for the aerial input. It is a balanced input but this does not matter with a standards converter.

Last edited by Heatercathodeshort; 17th Oct 2021 at 11:53 am.
Old 20th Oct 2021, 3:07 pm   #5
mark pirate
Dekatron

It is indeed a Bi8T from 1948, I have restored three sets using this chassis, the later LV/BV20 (1949) uses the same chassis.

As John says, the LOPT can suffer damp ingress, one of my sets had this problem, it literally went up in smoke!
The sliders can be troublesome, but only one of the six sets in my collection needs a couple of replacements.

Well worth restoring though, they work well & seem to be reliable too.

Mark
Old 25th Oct 2021, 11:16 am   #6
em536716
Hexode

Very nice sets to work on, a bit cramped.

Be careful of the tube base, when removing the plug and plugging back in. Very easy to break the glass around the connecting pins, it’s happened to me once.

As others have said, passing current through the windings of the lopty to dry it out is probably the best method, and I do it now with any tv I buy - as John said, they can either go or breakdown. Something to do with the insulation layer of the primary windings.

As a side note, it looks like someone’s been at it already... hopefully it’s not too bad inside
Closed Thread