UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Sep 2021, 7:39 pm   #21
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Default Re: Radio Caroline on 648kHz - More.

On Simon Dee’s on air run down of studios he referenced Gates turntables and Ampex tape recorders. Of course there were two ships in the 1960s and Dee transferred from the Frederica to the Mi Amigo which had previously (briefly) been Radio Atlanta and before that Radio Nord off Sweden though it had spent a couple of years off the air in between travelling as far as Texas before arriving at Greenore for final fitting out next to the Frederica.

Dee recalled problems when the transfer was made to the Mi Amigo to become Caroline South as the Atlanta operation was geared to tape rather than records. Apparently the turntables were missing their styli. From 1968 until 1972 the ships were in Amsterdam and had suffered some looting though studio photographs in the 1970s show much of the same equipment as in the 1960s.

In its Caroline years the Mi Amigo broadcast Caroline plus other stations for a total of 14 years or so – in the 1970s two stations often broadcast simultaneously – and there seemed much making do and mending – especially in the latter years before she ended up on the sea bed somewhere near Knock Deep.

The current Tx at Orfordness runs at 1kW. I have read elsewhere that the new transmitter may have 10kW capability. As AM/MW is being abandoned at an accelerating rate I don’t think Ofcom or anyone else will be very worried about how much power Caroline transmits with. The limiting factor will be affording the running costs for a station that runs on volunteers and donations. There must be plenty of second-hand Tx kit around that is rapidly becoming of only scrap value.
Old 13th Sep 2021, 8:09 pm   #22
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
That is more than I expected, which was 5-10kW. 25kW should make it to London.
It does sort of make it to London....well I can only comment on the Wimbledon and Colliers Wood area where I work. It struggles in and is rather patchy from right down in the noise to quite reasonable. If they really are able to increase to 25kW it should give some of the locals a run for their money.....
Old 13th Sep 2021, 8:33 pm   #23
sexton_mallard
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
Quote:
That is more than I expected, which was 5-10kW. 25kW should make it to London.
It does sort of make it to London....well I can only comment on the Wimbledon and Colliers Wood area where I work. It struggles in and is rather patchy from right down in the noise to quite reasonable. If they really are able to increase to 25kW it should give some of the locals a run for their money.....
Great news if it is accurate. Caroline will be the broadcast equivalent of a heritage railway what with greater signal coverage.

Less snakes...more ladders!
Old 13th Sep 2021, 10:54 pm   #24
Andrew2
Nonode

The label on that tape recorder says 'light vessel Mi Amigo'. Wasn't there a 're-enactment' of the Mi Amigo from a light vessel some years ago? I may be wrong, my memory is somewhat hazy.
Ah, just had a quick Google and it was LV18 light vessel that was done up as a kind of pirate radio ship and did a few low power licensed broadcasts as (I think) Radio Caroline.

BTW I'm still puzzled by the claim that they are using the old 50 kW Ampliphase unit, when it is common knowledge that they use a fairly modest Nautel.

Last edited by Andrew2; 13th Sep 2021 at 11:03 pm.
Old 14th Sep 2021, 9:52 am   #25
John_BS
Octode

Back in the day I recall that the BBC actually held an 18kHz allocation/ license for 648, which I understand was never revoked. The antenna system of both 648 and 1296 were configured to fire beams East South East: the 1296 in particular was quite narrow and installed to address a particular overseas territory! from memory, the 648 antenna comprised four masts in a square phased array, the 1296 was five in a line.

648 Tx was an elderly 500kW AEG Telefunken, 1296 a solid-state Nautel.

John
Old 14th Sep 2021, 10:08 am   #26
Junk Box Nick
Octode

The LV18 was used for a few ‘big’ offshore anniversaries including the 40th anniversary of 1967 The Marine, etc., Offences Act to broadcast ‘Pirate BBC Essex’ where it was anchored out in Harwich Harbour with the DJs, etc., being tendered out. Notable ex-pirate jocks came from as far as Canada, Australia and the US as well as big names like Tony Blackburn and Johnnie Walker. For a later event it was moored at the quayside as I think this made it easier for the public to meet the personalities. Transmissions went out on the BBC Essex AM frequencies and I think also on some other East Anglian BBC local AM frequencies at various times. Although there was a lattice mast on the rear of the vessel no transmissions came from the ship. However, some low power RSL broadcasts have probably come from the LV18. It was also used in the the The Boat that Rocked film.

The Mi Amigo was never in its long life a light ship. The only UK offshore station that broadcast from an ex-light ship was Radio Scotland from the Comet. Polo shirts at £15.99 and T-shirts at £10.99 would have been a bit expensive for the 1970s.

There is a Radio Caroline North weekend coming up this Saturday and Sunday with live shows from the Ross Revenge. Transmissions will go out on 1368 from Manx Radio’s Foxdale transmitter and 648 from Orfordness. 1368 is a clear frequency now and comes in well in the midlands at night.
Old 17th Sep 2021, 10:32 am   #27
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Very early this morning I noticed that the Radio Caroline signal on 648Khz was far stronger and clearer than normal. I regularly monitor the Medium wave band and, as I am a keen DX'er, and I have never received this signal at this level before. It was clearly overriding the co channel signals with very little fading.
I am wondering whether this was down to strange nightime E layer conditions or whether they were testing at a higher power?

Last edited by Hybrid tellies; 17th Sep 2021 at 10:39 am.
Old 24th Sep 2021, 4:56 pm   #28
Andrew2
Nonode

I've noticed this at seemingly random times, Simon. Although it's always in the mornings before we get the full daytime conditions. A couple of months back I went into my shack one morning at about 8 AM and Manx was absolutely booming in and I could open up the b/w to get the full glory of their generous sidebands!
I think they'd have to add about 20dB onto their output to get that effect.
Old 24th Sep 2021, 8:39 pm   #29
Junk Box Nick
Octode

648 seemed considerably stronger during the Caroline North weekend. It was quite listenable at 10pm last Saturday whereas in the past it has been unusable due to continental interference and I have tuned to 1368 (Manx Radio).

Whether some co-channel interference has diminished, the new Tx is being tested or it is just down to favourable propagation I don’t know but it was the best I’ve ever heard 648 at night.
Old 28th Sep 2021, 12:09 am   #30
MiAmigo
Diode

Default Re: Radio Caroline on 648kHZ - More.

Quote:
Yes, I'd be astonished if they were running anything like 50kW at the moment, and as for increasing power further, they would need to go to 100kW to get a meaningful improvement from 50kW. Ofcom are never going to allow those sorts of powers for what is basically a hobby station, even if finance could be arranged. There must be a misunderstanding somewhere.
I'm a member of the Caroline support group we all pay a monthly fee to keep Radio Caroline broadcasting and repairs to the Ross Revenge.

And as for T-shirts, they keep coming.

Radio Caroline's new transmitter and what power will it run at no doubt info will appear on the OFCOM site.

In Norfolk, 1kw is doing a good job so any increase of more power would be a bonus to all of us.
Old 28th Sep 2021, 11:29 am   #31
paulsherwin

Please don't misunderstand, I wish the operation well and would welcome a substantial increase in transmitter power if it can be financed and Ofcom will allow it. I was pleased to hear they may be going to 25kW.
Old 28th Sep 2021, 12:19 pm   #32
Martin Bush
Octode

I currently have the station playing on my "smart speaker" as a result of this thread. I'd love to listen on MW but doubt I can get it where I am. It's interesting that Caroline has kept afloat where other stations with a similar outlook (ie United DJs) have gone under.
Old 28th Sep 2021, 2:46 pm   #33
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Bush View Post
It's interesting that Caroline has kept afloat
Not always!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQH0O4oTscY

Caroline, whilst by no means the first, is the certainly world’s most famous offshore pirate station and as such has a massive legacy. Broadcasting at sea from various ships for a total of 20 years (with a couple breaks) it has fans from the 1960s, 70s and 80s with listening figures in those times that many national stations would envy. For many it was a part of their youth and thus remains in their hearts.

Other stations come and go but Caroline is unique and has engendered an equally unique loyalty. I think the last annual fund-raising weekend garnered in excess of £40,000. My special edition tee-shirt issued for the fund-raiser arrived this morning. (The Royal Mail did its best to bash it up but like Caroline it survived!)

As Ronan would say: “Caroline continues!”

Last edited by Junk Box Nick; 28th Sep 2021 at 2:53 pm.
Old 28th Sep 2021, 2:51 pm   #34
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Bush View Post
I currently have the station playing on my "smart speaker" as a result of this thread. I'd love to listen on MW but doubt I can get it where I am.
With a small loop (Tecsun AN200) inductively coupled I get very acceptable daytime reception in the midlands. I use a battery set and position it away from the usual sources of interference.

PS Welcome to MiAmigo!
Old 28th Sep 2021, 3:25 pm   #35
Martin Bush
Octode

Cheers Nick - the "afloat" reference was a bit of a pun. However there must be something in the Caroline DNA that is keeping it going through its various guises. I'm impressed with the music mix - I see they played the Fall earlier.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the t-shirt and other associated Caroline matters, but I think that's one for another thread.
Old 28th Sep 2021, 4:08 pm   #36
Junk Box Nick
Octode

In short (or not so short as it turns out!), Martin, the annual fund-raiser runs once a year, usually August, and the usual deal is that anyone who contributes £25 or more or signs up for the Radio Caroline Support Group (monthly contribution of minimum £7.50) will receive (should they desire) a special edition tee-shirt. I’m already a member of RSCG so bunged in an extra £25. All helps run the station and maintain the Ross Revenge which lies at anchor in the River Blackwater estuary in Essex.

I am not a Caroline fanatic (though I was when I listened as a kid in the 1960s!) but enjoy the music mix on the regular 648 service which is more akin to the album service of the 1970s. This is fine for me as Caroline’s 60s/80s legacy is evident in the many pop/oldies stations and indeed Radio One, Two and 6-Music (though some might cite with much validity John Peel, originally on rival 60s pirate Radio London, with regard to the latter). It provides a different service from much on mainstream radio and forms part of my listening mix of internet and US NPR stations to which I also contribute or have membership. I listen very little to mainstream radio now so consider it a duty to support stations to my tastes who operate in this way.

There are regular monthly Caroline North broadcasts using Manx Radio’s 1368kHz Tx. In the 1960s Caroline North was anchored in Ramsey Bay off the Isle of Man. The broadcasts come live from the Ross Revenge and follow an oldies format. 1368 is fairly clear of co-channel stations now and comes in well in the hours of darkness. There is also the Caroline Flashback oldies service which is internet only.

Caroline is a valuable brand and could easily have been bought and swallowed up by big corporate interests to trade off its name whilst broadcasting lowest common denominator pop radio so I’m glad Caroline exists in the way it does.
Old 28th Sep 2021, 5:28 pm   #37
kellymarie
Pentode

I'm pleased the power increase seems to still be in the pipeline I'm looking forward to it happening. Here in Weymouth the signal currently is weak varying between totally inaudible to just detectable all this from a 60 foot wire areal and FT817 ham rig I'm hoping that when they go to 25 KW the signal will be listenable on my radio indoors I keep hoping fingers crossed! I remember talking to someone who seemed well up in the Caroline support group he asked me what power I thought they should aim for I smiled and said oh at least 120 kilowatts maybe that's a step too far!
Old 28th Sep 2021, 9:15 pm   #38
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post
As Ronan would say: “Caroline continues!”
I thought that was Johnny Walker!
Old 28th Sep 2021, 10:49 pm   #39
AdrianH
Octode

I was very surprised last night when Radio Caroline on 648 managed to beat the other station and was heard quite clearly. This was on my Pye Jewel radio. I had to confirm to myself it was Caroline by checking with the internet stream. Think that was the first time I have heard the station in the North west.

Adrian
Old 29th Sep 2021, 2:23 pm   #40
Aub
Nonode

Had a quick listen about 10am this morning. The signal seemed about the same as it has always been here, not that good.

Cheers

Aub