UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Aug 2021, 9:48 am   #1
Peter Hoskin
Diode

Default Goblin Radio Teasmade Model 870

My 'in use' teasmade 870 clock became very noisy, tried to commission my 'standbye' 870 but without success. Clock (silent), radio, boiler, light and hooter all work BUT not correctly. Symptoms are:

with Kettle and Teapot NOT in place and all switches in raised position(OFF) the radio is ON. depressing any switch does not turn it off.

Put MT teapot in place - no difference
put FULL boiler in place - radio goes OFF but kettle starts to heat up altho clock setting nowhere near the time.

Checks done:
Changed clock switch with one in 'in use' unit - NO change
Visual check of wiring between the two sets shows no differences
Cleaned the contact points on the multi switches associated with boiler and teapot - No change.
Can anyone diagnose the problem? Changing the clocks over is an option but I suspect outside my capability.
Old 20th Oct 2021, 12:45 am   #2
Peter Hoskin
Diode

Red face Re: Goblin Radio Teasmade Model 870

Further to my plea for help - I now have a working Teasmade!
I stripped the working unit with the noisy clock -how do you remove the Perspex front to remove the hands without breaking it? I broke a strip off the top.
I removed the clock and removed its cover. I oiled the gears of the clock-light machine oil - and re-assembled, the clock was less noisy but still too noisy and also now this unit was showing the same symptom as the standby unit ie as soon as you depressed the Auto key it started heating the kettle regardless of where the time set hand is.
Having stripped the clock I realised the fault was inside the clock, either the clock gearing that initiates the boil action or the contact breaker which closes the circuit once tripped by the foresaid clock gearing.

I did not want to have to break into this unit, remove the clock and check out the gearing but I had established from my previous work that the breaker clearance was adjusted by the screw on the outside of the clock casing. SCREW IN TO OPEN THE CONTACT. I used a test lamp across the in and out terminals that feed the power to the breaker and then to the Auto switch and set the clock hands to the make tea position and adjusted the screw to light the lamp. I then rotated the setting click dial to check that the light goes off.

Having done this I thought problem solved so re-assembled and did a full test- not quite, so repeated. After 3 satisfactory tests I re-assembled and moved the unit back to the bedside - it did not work! re-adjust -did not work! After the third adjustment it now works OK so long may it last!
Closed Thread