UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Sep 2021, 12:46 pm   #1
Roland Huisman
Tetrode

Smile Mk14

Since I ran into an Argus TV set recently, I thought lets post that set here on this forum. But I've never realized that there is also a computer section here. And one of the things that got my attention is the MK14 being mentioned here several times. I've still got this one in my basement... Haven't done much with it, I'm more into the PDP8 stuff... But I think it is a fun little sbc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3441.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	241192   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3432.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	241193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3442.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	241194  
Old 13th Sep 2021, 5:01 pm   #2
audiokit
Triode

Default Re: Mk14

Hi Roland, welcome here, Thought you sold it as I know you are more into the bigger vintage computers. I hope you will keep it and have a nice working MK14. SBC can be fun too.
Benny
Old 13th Sep 2021, 6:01 pm   #3
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

A very nice late example (issue V?) with the late plastic button keypad. Probably the best original version you could have, if you want one which is both collectable and usable.

That unpopulated PCB in the third picture is I guess for an external keypad?
Old 13th Sep 2021, 6:11 pm   #4
Roland Huisman
Tetrode

Hi Benny,

Yes it was my intention to sell it. But C19 changed things a bit and the person that wanted to buy it, never showed up. One big advantage of the MK14 is that it is very small So maybe I will start a project with it, but I can't guarantee that I will keep it in the future...

Regards, Roland
Old 13th Sep 2021, 6:19 pm   #5
Roland Huisman
Tetrode

Hi SiriusHardware,

It is one of the later models indeed. I have to figure out what that little PCB is. Because of other projects I never put any time in this little piece of history...

Regards, Roland
Old 13th Sep 2021, 8:05 pm   #6
circuitryboy
Pentode

I think it works like this-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	keypad.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	241210  
Old 13th Sep 2021, 8:09 pm   #7
Roland Huisman
Tetrode

Hi circuitryboy,

Oh so it is a keyboard replacement?
Old 13th Sep 2021, 10:13 pm   #8
circuitryboy
Pentode

Yes. Search in this site for SC/MP Kit / Introkit info . A old thread points to SC/MP documents and some info about where the MK14 keypad came from.
The curiousmarc address has changed to http://www.curiousmarc.com/computing...microprocessor
Old 14th Sep 2021, 5:14 am   #9
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Inccidentally, there's at least one other PDP8 owner here, see the attached picutre. The machine next to it you may recognise too, the processor (top unit in the half-height rack) comes from the Netherlands.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PDP8E_System.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	241266  
Old 14th Sep 2021, 7:47 am   #10
Roland Huisman
Tetrode

Hi Tony,

Nice old iron on your picture! You don't see these Philips P850 very often. Fun to see the RK05F in the corner of the picture. I have 5 RK05 drives but not one F version. Here is one of my PDP8 machines: https://youtu.be/N17wbg80xUM and more old stuff on that YouTube channel like an Anita MK8 calculator. Also a piece of art from the UK.
Old 14th Sep 2021, 10:50 am   #11
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Yes, you're right, it's a P850. At the bottom of the rack is a UK-made Trend paper tape punch and reader unit that it boots from.

Sitting on top of the rack is a Versatex V80 electrostatic printer. It's really in the wrong room, it has a GPIB interface and is normally used with a PERQ. I need to rearrange things a bit.

I also have a P851 and a P854, not currently in use.

You're right about the RK05F too. It's in the stand of an RK07, another not-too-common drive.

Creeping off the left edge of the picture is a VAX11-730 with R80 disk and TS05 magtape.

And that's only a smaller part of my minicomputer collection.
Old 16th Sep 2021, 11:19 am   #12
Slothie
Octode

Thats a lovely example of the MK14. I particularly liked the look of the ones with the clear buttons, I'm told they were an improvement over the rubber membrane keyboard but still not great.
Its nice to know there are some survivors out there! I suppose there must be more, since they were (relatively) cheap they would be put away in the loft rather than sold because in the 80s they would have had little or no value. Sadly when people discover them they know how much they are worth by looking at eBay! Still, thats why I made my replica, and thats been a journey all of its own.
Closed Thread