UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Apr 2021, 2:21 pm   #561
John M0GLN
Octode

Default Re: Bygone radio traders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave757 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman_al View Post
Glad this thread is still going. I've been clearing some old documentation and found items from here.

Anyone remember ''Centre Electronics'', 345 Stockfield Road , Yardley in Birmingham.
A real Aladdin's cave and many a lunch hour spent there in the 90s when I worked at the NEC. Just cannot remember the guy's name, might have been Howard?

Alan
Hi Alan,

His name is Howard Turner, and he still lives locally to where his shop was.
A very old friend of mine, and I was one of his regulars. I don't live in Birmingham now,
but I recently had a long telephone conversation with him,
and he still has one or two radios! It only seems like yesterday that the
shop closed, but it must be the best part of 20 years. How time flies!

Kind regards
Dave G0ELJ
Would he be the gentleman that had some Eddystone spares? I bought a new scale plate for a model 830/3 many years ago from a shop in Birmingham and the name 'Centre Electronics' sounds familiar.

John
Old 9th Apr 2021, 3:00 pm   #562
snowman_al
Octode

@ Dave757, that is good news, Yes Howard Turner. A great character nice to have a 'banter' with in the shop or at the local rallies. (And I cannot mention his Jaguar.)

@ John M0GLN, yes he did have Eddystone spares, I had a few dial drive pulley gears off him for various models. And an extensive stock of manuals.

Alan
Old 9th Apr 2021, 9:24 pm   #563
g4wim_tim
Pentode

For those of us on the Fylde coast (Blackpool area etc) there was Stewarts Radio on Alfred Street Blackpool run by Stan Stewart and later his son. Always had a good collection of interesting stuff.
Then there was Billy Smiths scrap yard again in Blackpool which always had an assortment of ex gov. items.
Finally in St Annes there was 'old man Bowden's TV repair shop' who was more than willing to sell r's and c's etc for a few pennies to the local impoverished school kids like me ! Later he let me repair radios with these new fangled transistors in them. He must have been in his 70's in the mid 60's and always had a good tale to tell about the early days - charging accumulators etc.
Old 10th Apr 2021, 7:46 am   #564
SteveCG
Nonode

g4wim_tim,

... you took me down memory lane with those three places...

Yes, Ad Bowden would sell components - and not many TV places would. Smith's scrap yard was opposite a Builder's Merchant if I remember correctly. And Stewarts Radio was painted Yellow.

The only other 'bits-and-pieces-and-surplus' place I can recollect was in Manchester on Shude Hill, but its name eludes me.
Old 10th Apr 2021, 10:12 am   #565
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCG View Post
The only other 'bits-and-pieces-and-surplus' place I can recollect was in Manchester on Shude Hill, but its name eludes me.
Globe Radio was on Shude Hill, on the left going up.

Lawrence.
Old 10th Apr 2021, 1:28 pm   #566
John M0GLN
Octode

Quote:
@ John M0GLN, yes he did have Eddystone spares, I had a few dial drive pulley gears off him for various models. And an extensive stock of manuals.
Alan
That's stirred up another bit of my memory, I'm sure I called in for it but cannot think what else I was doing down there, it's about 110 miles away from me.
Thanks
John
Old 11th Apr 2021, 3:09 pm   #567
William78
Triode

My encounter with Howard Turner from Centre electronics was as follows:

Sometime in 1982 my father asked me to think of a 21st birthday present that would be worthwile. I suggested a Trio R1000 receiver but at a price of around £300 I would have had to contribute towards the cost.

I then spotted B40d Admiralty receivers being advertised in Practical wireless, price £65 with delivery possible and no contribution required from me. The seller of course was Howard Turner of Centre electronics.

My father arranged the purchase and delivery. Sometime later Howard delivered a B40d to my bedsit in Eccles, Manchester. He powered it up with a power lead that was not included in the sale, to demonstrate that the set worked. He also said the clutch behind the main tuning knob needed adusting. I pointed to my metre square MW loop in the corner and said I use that for MW dxing and I can use it with the B40. He had another delivery in the Manchester area so we said our goodbyes.

The B40 was soon up and running and I still have it today.

William.
Old 12th Apr 2021, 7:49 pm   #568
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

My memories
Deptford: Garlands, Bi Pak next door I think, RF industrial down the road towards New Cross same side, Opposite there was Greenwelds (who later went to Southampton, but I never got there-sadly).. anyone remember the massive old Mill that was near Greenweld's and the old cinema I think it once was?
Tott Ct. Road: Z and I (Millions of 10X crystals) and Proops
Chapel St, Ralphs (mostly transformers)
Edgware Road: H.L Smiths who made excellent aluminum custom and pre-made boxes and always had that big old black and white TV blasting away (I loved that place), also Henry's,
Lisle St: G.W. Smith (always moaning about the rats in the cellar)
Kingston: Southern Surplus (old Steptoe always had loads of 19 and 62 sets),
Crystal Palace/ Croydon - Anerley?: Huggets- always had endless goodies at great prices
Acton: Bonex had a crackin' shop near the station- most helpful indeed,
Croydon: A.J Bull (later in Hove),
Bromley: Richardson's components, really crackin'shop,
Lincoln: Birketts (still going I believe),
Worthing: GWM Radio in Portland Road.

I am sure I have missed some, but, all great times.
Old 4th May 2021, 5:22 pm   #569
davew
Tetrode

Default Ridley Road market Dalston

I was reminiscing about the old days again (seems to happen more and more as I get older!) and thinking about trips up to London, Tottenham Ct Rd, Lisle St etc and I'm sure I also vaguely remember going with my Mum to Ridley Rd market in Dalston London.
I'm sure there were one and possibly more stalls there selling valves and other electronics bits - I can't remember whether this was possibly on a Sunday or whether there were just some stalls selling this sort of stuff on a normal day
Anyone else remember this?
Thanks
Dave
Old 4th May 2021, 9:16 pm   #570
its ur aerial
Hexode

Default Re: Ridley Road market Dalston

I use to go there with my Dad in the 60`s, usually because he wanted to buy a cheap Transistor Radio, the origins of which was not to be questioned !
How ever I do remember several stalls selling valves, and I assume also parts and components.
As far as I recall, the Market was only on a Saturday and possibly Friday, not sure
Ridley Rd was also the location for Mr A Sugar`s first Business venture, say no more:

Ken G6HZG
Old 5th May 2021, 2:07 pm   #571
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasedout View Post
Hi, another Radio Constructors heaven, was "Ted Bird's" in Barton Street, Gloucester. Up from there not far away opposite the Swimming Bath's was Richard's Electrics, run by Roy, a heaven for anything radio, both long gone now alas.

Alan.
RSP Electronics Mr Pearsey.

Ted Birds was taken over by his son .
Old 6th May 2021, 9:21 am   #572
snowman_al
Octode

@ electronicskip,

Wasn't there an army / MOD surplus place near Gloucester back in the 80s / 90s that had lots of 'spares' (valves, capacitors, transformers occasionally whole radios etc.)? Trying to remember the location Innsworth maybe?
Old 6th May 2021, 10:29 am   #573
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Does anyone remember 'Telekit' in Beckenham?

Peter
Old 6th May 2021, 10:36 am   #574
petertheorgan
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.N. View Post
Does anyone remember 'Telekit' in Beckenham?

Peter
Yes I do , if I remember correctly it was a very small shop on the corner of the high street and where it goes up the hill to St Georges Church
Old 6th May 2021, 10:54 am   #575
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
@ electronicskip,

Wasn't there an army / MOD surplus place near Gloucester back in the 80s / 90s that had lots of 'spares' (valves, capacitors, transformers occasionally whole radios etc.)? Trying to remember the location Innsworth maybe?
Yes indeed there was! in fact it went into the 2000s it was on Innsworth technology park , they sold everything including a few Army trucks on occasion too, i bought many an item from them back in the day including a geiger counter for some obscure reason , towards the end they were only really selling Camping style equipment and some MOD clothing.
I once saw an " In field" Filling/Crown tooth repair kit there!!!
Old 6th May 2021, 11:41 am   #576
steve.seven
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicskip View Post
Quote:
Hi, another Radio Constructors heaven, was "Ted Bird's" in Barton Street, Gloucester. Up from there not far away opposite the Swimming Bath's was Richard's Electrics, run by Roy, a heaven for anything radio, both long gone now alas.

Alan.

Hi Richard,
Are you referring to a Mr Pearcy, he was originally a rep for Radiospares when I first stated my apprenticeship in 1968, I think he had a Triumph 2000 car and later started trading on his own.
There was another radio and components shop in the lower high street Cheltenham, cannot remember the name but it was run by a Les Crabbe, perhaps this may jog someone's memory.
Regards,
Steve.
Old 6th May 2021, 11:50 am   #577
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.seven View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Alan.

Hi Richard,
Are you referring to a Mr Pearcy, he was originally a rep for Radiospares when I first stated my apprenticeship in 1968, I think he had a Triumph 2000 car and later started trading on his own.
There was another radio and components shop in the lower high street Cheltenham, cannot remember the name but it was run by a Les Crabbe, perhaps this may jog someone's memory.
Regards,
Steve.
Yes Steve, im sure thats him, never met the chap but heard about him for sure.
Do you mean Hardings on the lower high street?
Up till lockdown they were still trading ,although there was another shop down the lower high street selling bits n bobs like that on the opposite side of the road but that dissappeard a few years ago along with the shop selling old Telephones and accessories.
Old 6th May 2021, 11:56 am   #578
steve.seven
Pentode

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.seven View Post
Quote:

Hi Richard,
Regards,
Steve.
Yes Steve, im sure thats him, never met the chap but heard about him for sure.
Do you mean Hardings on the lower high street?
Up till lockdown they were still trading ,although there was another shop down the lower high street selling bits n bobs like that on the opposite side of the road but that dissappeard a few years ago along with the shop selling old Telephones and accessories.
Ah that's good re Mr Pearcy, not Hardings, this shop probably closed during the 1970's, just further up to it was a shop selling keyboard and musical instruments closer to the bowling green who we also used occasionally for components.
Old 6th May 2021, 12:10 pm   #579
G4XWDJim
Octode

Mash perhaps. I bought masses of Larkspur gear off them.

Sheppards were somewhere near Hereford. Can’t remember properly even though I went many times.

Jim

Quote:
@ electronicskip,

Old 6th May 2021, 12:54 pm   #580
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4XWDJim View Post
Mash perhaps. I bought masses of Larkspur gear off them.

Sheppards were somewhere near Hereford. Can’t remember properly even though I went many times.

Jim

Quote:
@ electronicskip,

Yes thats what it was called MASH , id forgotton the name.
Also in Gloucester two other traders i remember.
Telmec which was at the top of the Bristol road opposite the Peel centre , mostly sold Hi fi gear but did other electronics too.
Also Grays Electrical down the bottom of Northgate street(small shop) , they sold a bit of everything but were mainly Sanyo TV/Video dealers .
They were there in the late 80s early 90s.