UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Apr 2021, 2:06 pm   #1
jimxms2
Diode

Default Help with identifying a 'part' from the 80's

Hi All,

I am trying to identify the attached device and what it potentially could have been used for. I know very little about the item other than that it was manufactured in the late 70's - early 80's. I know its not very much to go on, but I was thinking that maybe someone with knowledge of the parts that are inside the unit, could possibly shortlist some of the purposes of this device?

Help very much appreciated.

Thanks
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	230977   Click image for larger version

Name:	66450775_2041513879484874_3227524947777683456_n.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	230978  
Old 5th Apr 2021, 2:16 pm   #2
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: Help with identifying a 'part' from the 80's

Looks to me rather like a voltage regulator maybe something like 24V to 12V DC.
Neil
Old 5th Apr 2021, 2:20 pm   #3
ortek_service
Octode

Do you have a picture of the underside of it?

From the parts used, it looks like it could be an early 70's / late 60's design - Looks like it uses several Germanium transistors, from that period, but difficult to read the type numbers due to surface rust on these.

It looks like the power transistors got quite warm, from the ventilation-slots in the outer case.

If there's no internal power source, and those 2mm? sockets are the only connections, to it, then it could be some type of electronic load device - Unless case is ground and one socket is input and other is output, in which cases a voltage regulator / converter is a possibility or maybe a test oscillator.
Old 5th Apr 2021, 2:42 pm   #4
jimxms2
Diode

Thank you both for your responses. Sadly I don’t have any images directly of the underside, but I do have these additional photographs that may offer a little more detail and a side on shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B8292F1D-F638-4266-B7D3-839719A956BC.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	230980   Click image for larger version

Name:	5B049BBC-3F26-4DB6-8D9F-96DAD166A64D.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	230981   Click image for larger version

Name:	D0A7A556-0299-45EC-B5F5-0F828780AE15.jpeg
Views:	199
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	230982  
Old 5th Apr 2021, 3:44 pm   #5
ms660
Dekatron

So far as I can make out the large power transistors are two 2N1136A (Bendix) and two 2N1906 (can't make out the maker of those)

If that's any help to anyone.

Lawrence.
Old 5th Apr 2021, 4:28 pm   #6
jimxms2
Diode

I’d be willing to offer a finders fee of £100 for anyone that is able to ID this device.
Old 5th Apr 2021, 4:28 pm   #7
barrymagrec
Octode

Motor controller?
Old 5th Apr 2021, 5:08 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

It only looks like the power output stage of part of a device. There may not be enough to work out what it once did.

£100 is a lot and suggests there is some interesting history behind it. Whatever that may be could well be your best clue.

David
Old 5th Apr 2021, 5:32 pm   #9
jimxms2
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
It only looks like the power output stage of part of a device. There may not be enough to work out what it once did.

£100 is a lot and suggests there is some interesting history behind it. Whatever that may be could well be your best clue.

David
Sadly I dont even know the real history behind it. The part was actually used in a movie, and all I know is that it would have been in a scrap heap in the USA in the 80's. Most of the other scrap parts used in the movie have been ID'd as military, aircraft or medical junk...but I'm not sure that this part fits into any of those categories as it doesn't look rugged enough. The small 2mm sockets and fuse holder look like more of a mainstream product which doesnt have a critical function (imo anyway).
Old 5th Apr 2021, 5:55 pm   #10
turretslug
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymagrec View Post
Motor controller?
I'm thinking something along those lines, or maybe the apparently symmetrical nature hints at something like a Royer inverter driver? Are they 'orrible 'unts lurking under the clamps at one end?
Old 5th Apr 2021, 6:04 pm   #11
Station X

Are there any connections to the unit apart from the red and white sockets? A trailing lead or a hole for it for example?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 5th Apr 2021, 6:05 pm   #12
jimxms2
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Are there any connections to the unit apart from the red and white sockets? A trailing lead or a hole for it for example?
Not that I've ever seen in pictures. It does look like there may have been wires going into it from underneath though. It almost looks like the black box sits on top of a circuit board, and when they decided to use this part they forcefully ripped it apart.
Old 5th Apr 2021, 6:06 pm   #13
Radio Wrangler

Scrap heap, USA, 1980's

Ah, that's better. THe Germanium transistors point at middle sixties or before, which didn't fit your rough guess at age. We didn't use many devices from Bendix in the UK so I'd been wondering about a US military base over here.

It could have been so many things, and your only chance is to find someone who has seen one or worked on one before. Try a US forum, or ask the ARRL. They like putting things like this in QST.

David
Old 5th Apr 2021, 8:31 pm   #14
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Maybe there is a large transformer on which it is normally mounted, this part being the solid state "vibrator pack" by which it produces a high voltage output from (say) a 12v supply.
Of course for a simple vibrator replacement, only two transistor do the trick, but was there ever a solid state equivalent to the Philips synchronous vibrator?
Les.
Closed Thread