UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Oct 2021, 8:18 pm   #21
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

Default Re: Converting a Photo to a Line Drawing?

Hi!

I don't have a good digital camera any more but I can certainly retake the picture against a white background – how to get rid of the shadow, tho', I'm not sure!

I've tried a few of the suggestions in earlier posts and alas to say I wasn't very successful!

Circuit diagrams and PCB diagrams in "2d" I've got to a fine art, but not "3d".

Chris Williams

Lighting from many angles cures the shadows, I only have 2D capabilities in software as far as I know, post up as nice a photo as you can without any other items in view and I will see what Krita can do, or you can download it yourself of course. It is really cracking software made for cartoon animators and artists.
Old 9th Oct 2021, 9:09 pm   #22
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
Could well be my iPad but page 1 has the original, the other 39 blank.
I have the same with Windows.
Old 9th Oct 2021, 10:58 pm   #23
joebog1
Banned

This is a bit of mucking about but,
place the subject on 2 or 3 sheets of printer paper ( that makes sure its white background)
use a couple of white leds to illuminate the subject. (say at 45 degrees before and after the subject)
use a small aperture to try and increase the depth of field.
( my digital cam doesnt know what depth of field is )

DONT use a built in flash for illumination, that will for sure make shadows.

Joe
Old 10th Oct 2021, 10:47 am   #24
David Simpson
Nonode

Chris, in the past I've tried several methods of copying/photographing wafer switch connections, but its a helluva lot of fannying about with marginal sucess.
Best bet is to simply use pencil/pen, paper, & some circular stencils, and a decent A4 or A3 clipboard or drawingboard.
My simple efforts can be seen in Post28 of "Roberts Valve Tester" dated 18th Oct.2020, picture 3 of 5. Some switches were re-used big old "Yaxley" paxolin wafers, and others were smaller NOS wafers out of a MAKA switch building kit.
By drawing the wafer's circuitry, particularly old chassis wiring, using pencil or pen, one can later colour-in the individual switch contact wiring with crayon. Because its jolly difficult to photograph the exact colours of old faded wiring insulation.

Regards, David
Old 10th Oct 2021, 11:12 am   #25
Cobaltblue

To save everyone else searching for it:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...8&postcount=28

Cheers

Mike T
Old 11th Oct 2021, 1:57 pm   #26
Chris55000
Nonode

Afternoon Mike!

I had a look at David's post you linked to and I used to try and do things like that by hand on A3 sheets of scrap paper from my technical drawing class at school, trouble is I don't have the patience and and hands steady enough today to draw it as neatly as David did, which is why I try and do everything in my sPlan software with the Uno lettering Chris Flippard digitised for me!

As an example of something like David's Valve Tester setup, I tried drawing a convergence board with the adjustment plan of a Decca 60 (the very rare 110° delta–gun chassis, CV602 etc., (I once saw my one and only example of these in my local grocer's TV repair shop where I learnt my colour TV servicing in the late 1970s!), & it failed dismally because I couldn't get it to fit on one sheet of A3 paper!

I did obtain, more recently, the Electronic Symbols Stencils BB4 and BB5 that Uno produced and still have them buried somewhere!

Chris Williams
Old 11th Oct 2021, 4:06 pm   #27
David Simpson
Nonode

Aye Chris, I was lucky & grateful to several Forum folk who kindly responded to my quest for UNO & Rotring pens & stencils. Otherwise I would've struggled, as my collection, from the early 70's college days & later drawing up house plans for myself & others, was greatly depleted.
Another hint for folk whom haven't got a stencil set, but need to do some wafer switch(or valve holder connections) drawings - is to use the ID & OD of the bog-standard rolls of coloured pvc electric tape. Most of us will have a box or wee drawer of different sizes, depending on how much we've used.

Regards, David
Old 18th Oct 2021, 3:47 pm   #28
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

As an update to this I've had an idea that might work, if a bit naughty – Heathkit provide "quasi–3D" line drawings of their rotary wafer–switch assembly drawings in their books, I could look for one that is most similar to the HK/2A attenuator switch assembly and trace over that to get the outlines of the wafers, tags and resistors!

When it's only one wafer with the resistors round the outside it's not too difficult to draw in 2D, but drawing an assembly like the HK/2A one where the resistors fit across two wafers on one assembly isn't anything like as easy!

Chris Williams
Old 19th Oct 2021, 10:09 am   #29
David Simpson
Nonode

Chris has raised a good point regarding wafer to wafer component mounting. Folk need to be wary of the practices of some vintage valve radio manufacturers regarding using spare, out of circuit, tags on wafer switches(the same goes for valve holders) for mounting components - not necessarily being switched. Guess they were just being too lazy to fit tag strips on an already confined chassis underside area.
I seem to recall having a rant a few years back(a 1940's Marconi or a Ferranti, cant remember) about the jumble of inter-stage wiring & components where such confusing practices were being used.

Regards, David
Old 19th Oct 2021, 10:24 am   #30
daviddeakin
Hexode

You can do something like this with the trace-bitmap function in Inkscape, but you should really take a decent photo to start with. Garbage in, garbage out...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	text2183.png
Views:	83
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	243725  
Closed Thread