UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Aug 2021, 9:36 pm   #41
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Bilsdale mast fire

Just seen this:

“Bilsdale transmitter fire: TV and radio services largely restored”
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-58181439

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 11th Aug 2021, 9:37 pm   #42
Radio Wrangler

It's time to park this thread, at least until some definite information comes out about what's being done about Bilsdale. We're all just speculating and some posts are getting a bit political. The people affected will be checking for news, at least by radio.

David
Old 13th Aug 2021, 5:53 am   #43
Radio Wrangler

dgicomp has forwarded the latest update from Arquiva. While there is nothing on the nature and cause of the damage at Bilsdale, they've been busy moving services to other locations and arranging alternate feeds to relay sites:

Updated 12/08/2021

Our engineers continue to work tirelessly on our three-stage recovery plan to reinstate all services that were present on the Bilsdale mast. Phase 1 involved establishing a service for some people as soon as possible, phase two involves improving that coverage either by increasing power or using temporary sites, and phase three is the restoration of an equivalent service.

Some viewers who received their TV signals directly from the Bilsdale had their TV services restored using our site at Eston Nab last night (11/08). As of this evening (12/08), we have also been able to add channels on another multiplex meaning more channels are now available in those areas. To enable this, we have built a temporary tower at Eston Nab, added antenna and feeders, wired electrics and configured the antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arqiva
We have also been able to restore services from the two largest relays of Bilsdale, at Whitby and Guisborough – which each serve tens of thousands of households and we have also restored radio services in some areas.

While we understand the frustration of those in areas that are not yet restored, we would like to assure you that we are doing all we can to restore services as fast as we can. Bilsdale is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and to replicate what is there is not a simple task. Phase 2 will see the vast majority of TV coverage restored from temporary masts at Bilsdale and we expect to be able to give a firm timeline on that phase tomorrow afternoon (Friday 13/08)
Old 13th Aug 2021, 10:53 am   #44
Radio Wrangler

Arquiva link:

https://www.arqiva.com/news-views/ne...-bilsdale-mast

David
Old 13th Aug 2021, 8:51 pm   #45
Radio Wrangler

Some more from Arqiva, spotted by dgicomp:

Updated 13/08/2021

We have had some success during phase 1 of our recovery plan using the Eston Nab site to restore services for some areas. Eston Nab is unfortunately unable to reach all the areas served by the larger Bilsdale mast, as broadcast signals rely on line-of-sight between transmitter and receiver (your rooftop aerial). This is the reason why masts such as the one at Bilsdale need to be so tall, and why they are located where they are – to reach as many homes as possible.

The job of locating transmission equipment involves complex work to assess coverage areas, ensuring line of sight while avoiding interfering with other equipment and also the environment in which they are required. The only way to truly replicate the service from Bilsdale is to erect something on the same site, which has been difficult given the nature of the incident. To date we have been unable to even access the existing mast to assess its condition.

Phase 2 of our plan involves the erection of an 80m temporary mast at Bilsdale and we have been surveying the site to identify the best alternative locations within the restrictions we have. Included in this is the fact that Bilsdale is a Site of Special Scientific Interest, meaning we have to seek agreement to place any additional equipment.

There are many activities to this phase 2; preparation of ground, access, erection of an 80m temporary mast which involves raising the mast itself, running power, bringing in high powered transmitters and feeders to the antenna and configuration and test. This part of our plan should reinstate TV coverage for the vast majority of viewers who receive signals directly from Bilsdale. Due to the work required to deliver this solution we expect that work to be complete within 14 days from now.

We are sorry for the ongoing disruption but are committed to delivering a solution for our broadcast customers and you, their viewers and listeners, as fast as we can. We understand the frustrations of some of you that this process is not quicker, and we expect to be able to provide details next week of which areas should benefit from phase 2. But following this update we hope you can understand that broadcasting to the nation is complex and while these incidents are thankfully rare, 99.99% of the time when you turn on your TV the picture will be there.

For further help and advice please visit Freeview https://www.freeview.co.uk/bilsdale-transmitter.
Old 16th Aug 2021, 2:51 pm   #46
Radio Wrangler

It seems the bad side of human nature has reared its ugly head.

A report in a Tees area newspaper says that a man has been going door to door claiming that the council sent him and that by paying £245 a new aerial can be fitted and they'll get TV reception again.

David
Old 16th Aug 2021, 9:22 pm   #47
Radio Wrangler

More from dglcomp:

The TX gallery now have a page up on the fire with a few extra titbits of information,

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallery...44&pageid=4078

If the existing mast is seriously compromised, any replacement mast and transmitter cabins will have to be safely outside the collapse radius of the damaged mast, just in case. Even the new guys will have to be safe from the thing falling on them. This will no doubt stir up things regarding the SSSI status of the area. And there will need to be re-routing of power supply and signal feed services. Maybe they offer to feed any objectors to the TV viewers?

David

Last edited by Radio Wrangler; 17th Aug 2021 at 3:16 am. Reason: Link corrupts during cut and paste from PM, OK from the page itself.
Old 20th Aug 2021, 6:59 pm   #48
Radio Wrangler

An update from Bobhowe:

Arqiva has made a power increase at its Eston Nab transmitter & has bought coverage to 250.000 households in total for its main TV channels BBC ITV CH4 CH5 kind regards Bob

David
Old 20th Aug 2021, 10:44 pm   #49
dglcomp
Heptode

And to add to this they have now set up another site at Arncliff Wood (which I beleieve is a BT microwave site) using a 15M mast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arqiva
Updated 20/08/2021

Following the coverage improvement at Eston Nab yesterday, today we have completed the installation of the additional 15m mast at Arncliffe Wood, providing approximately 200,000 households with coverage for TV (PSB1, 2 and 3 multiplexes featuring the main BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel5 services)

The television relay at Skinningrove was also restored yesterday, providing channels from the PSB2 multiplex (the main commercial TV channels). Further work we expect to be complete early next week will provide these same households with the BBC channels and HD variants.

We will provide further updates as soon as possible.
Old 21st Aug 2021, 2:50 am   #50
broadgage
Nonode

If the existing mast is judged unsafe, as seems probable, then surely it can brought down in a safe and controlled way, thereby allowing prompt construction of a replacement on the same or closely adjacent site.

Explosives detonated from a safe distance would be the obvious way to do this, broadly similar to the demolition of other redundant tall structures such as power station chimneys.

3 out of 4 buildings are said to be undamaged, and could presumably be re used.
Old 21st Aug 2021, 8:22 am   #51
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadgage View Post
If the existing mast is judged unsafe, as seems probable, then surely it can brought down in a safe and controlled way, thereby allowing prompt construction of a replacement on the same or closely adjacent site.

Explosives detonated from a safe distance would be the obvious way to do this, broadly similar to the demolition of other redundant tall structures such as power station chimneys.
I think even Dibnah would jib at this one - if it really is a 300 metre steel pipe, it's not going to crumble like brick or concrete, so you can't just drop it, you'd have to topple it over. All one thousand feet of it. Good luck with that. Obviously, the people who do this for a living will find a way, but they are certainly going to earn their corn on this one.
Old 21st Aug 2021, 8:51 am   #52
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Having been near the Winter Hill mast, approx 300m, there is a road/footpath right at its side, it’s quite an engineering fete. The buildings are very close to the base which is probably the same at Bilsdale, so those need safe guarding. Has Ted says, not a small job.

As an aside, the sight of someone in a “box” inspecting the guy wires is quite something, they were travelling down the guy. Good luck with that.
Old 21st Aug 2021, 9:00 am   #53
Radio Wrangler

Bilsdale is clear on google earth.

The base is closely surrounded by buildings. The damaged building could be sacrificed, but any kick will hit others and who can say how a compromised structure will fall once guys are cut?

You don't want anyone in the fall radius working to salvage undamaged plant.

The guys can be seen at 120 degree intervals with foundations at two distances each, so there isn't even the possibility of a hinge-like toppling that 4 guys give.

As Ted says, someone's going to earn their pay.

David
Old 21st Aug 2021, 9:29 am   #54
paulsherwin

Apparently it's in an SSSI so there are environmental hoops they need to jump through too.
Old 21st Aug 2021, 9:35 am   #55
dglcomp
Heptode

And, of course, history shows what happens when these mast fail, as (from what I've read) at least one of the transmitter halls was flattened and a stay wire sliced a nearby church in half!

I wonder if Arqiva are secretly hoping that the mast is a failure so they can replace it with a more conventional lattice mast which, as I understand, is a much more stable design.

At least the fire didn't cause it to collapse as happened at Peterborough, although given that it hasn't collapsed working on it/assessing it must be an "I want extra money if you want me to go near there" kind of job. Plus I would not want to be the one with the task of signing it off as safe, that's where the real money/expertise comes.
Old 21st Aug 2021, 11:13 am   #56
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

They put it up so I can see no problem in taking it down in sections.
I can't help feeling that the traditional tower is far more reliable than the tubular mast as it required no guys wires. I would think that cost may be more than the tubular mast but could be easier to install. They seem to last forever. you can't beat old school.. John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ET.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	239748  
Old 21st Aug 2021, 11:47 am   #57
Restoration73
Nonode

I thought the fire in the Paris 441-line transmitter lead to the early closure of the service.
The 819 transmitter was already in operation.
Old 21st Aug 2021, 12:22 pm   #58
bobhowe
Heptode

Hi John you are right there the old school method what goes up must come down if Fred Dibnah had been about he would have it down in a jiffy
Old 21st Aug 2021, 12:46 pm   #59
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
They put it up so I can see no problem in taking it down in sections.
I can't help feeling that the traditional tower is far more reliable than the tubular mast as it required no guys wires. I would think that cost may be more than the tubular mast but could be easier to install. They seem to last forever. you can't beat old school.. John.
Even with a big helicopter, someone has to climb the mast to unbolt sections to be flown away. As the bottom of the mast is damaged and under great compressive load, volunteers may be hard to come by. The mast may not survive high winds. The whole area is a danger zone.

Now, that model of the Tour Eiffel (did you scratch it to see if it's cast from gold?) There is a TV tower of that shape due N of Edinburgh at Craigkelly, the hill above Burntisland. The Transmission Gallery will give you photos.

This is not that tower's original site. It was moved to serve E central Scotland when it was replaced by a far taller mast at its original site.... Emley Moor no less. I grew up in that area and remember seeing it many times before it was removed. I swear the thing is following me around!

The new bigger wonderful mast at Emley was tubular. "Was" because it's the famous one that fell, wrecking the church. T'was an evil night and the telly went off. Found BBC1 405 from Holme Moss. Dad came home later pronouncing it was so bad outside he couldn't even see the lights on Emley....

So the old self-supporting steel tower from Emley is still standing and shrugging off Scottish weather.

Gustave Eiffel knew a thing or two

David
Old 21st Aug 2021, 1:10 pm   #60

I always thought the Croydon tower was London's Eiffel. On one of the BVWS DVDs is a wonderful film of how Croydon tower was designed, made, and built. Back on topic, perhaps a really big fire would make it merrily crumple.

Closed Thread