UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Oct 2021, 5:02 am   #1
Kentode
Octode

Default Massive Engineering Mistakes. Emley Moor mast.

On Monday 18th October at 11:00 AM Massive Engineering Mistakes, on Quest HD channel 144 Sky, Freeview 12HD, Freesat 172/167HD, Virgin 169 shows the aftermath of the mast collapse and the building of its concrete replacement.

I always thought it was due to ice on the wire supports but apparently vortex shedding caused the mast to vibrate.

If the program is available on the internet, it's S2, episode 7.

BVWS member
Old 16th Oct 2021, 9:34 am   #2
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: Massive Engineering Mistakes. Emley Moor mast.

Thanks Ken, recorder set.

John.
Old 17th Oct 2021, 8:17 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

Don't need to see it on the documentary.... I saw the real thing live, up close and real-time! Our family went for a look the morning after. Jagger Lane was closed, of course, but people were wandering round surrounding fields. It left an awesome mess. Smell of mud remains in my memory.

The first explanations given put the blame entirely on the weight of ice build-up on the guys. Only later did the vortex-shedding explanation come along. So various people have heard one version or the other.

Just yesterday I was looking at a tower on the horizon.... none other than the one at Emley which was replaced by the ill-fated one. It got re-used at Craigkelly and is still standing there, working just fine. It's a wide-based lattice style a bit like the Eiffel and Blackpool. It's been following me around!

David
Old 17th Oct 2021, 1:25 pm   #4
Refugee
Dekatron

I once drove overnight in freezing fog in a vehicle with a front wing mounted aerial.
Once a wing of ice built up on it the vortex shedding began causing it to swing from side to side over quite a wide range of speed.
It would have been a combination of both ice and vortex shedding.
Old 17th Oct 2021, 4:30 pm   #5
The Philpott
Dekatron

I do find Massive Engineering Mistakes watchable (last night's one at least, including the Forth Road Bridge and it's cable corrosion issues) Obviously you need to be able to tolerate the inane intrusions of hired in pseudo-experts and their 'Captain Obvious' pieces to camera.....Good work if you can get it!

Dave
Old 18th Oct 2021, 6:10 am   #6
Kentode
Octode

Correction. Sky 144 Quest HD, and Sky 244 one hour later if needed.

BVWS member
Old 18th Oct 2021, 12:13 pm   #7
Andrew2
Nonode

I've just watched this and found it quite good, but there was one reference to the 1964 tubular mast as 'the original', when it obviously wasn't. I don't think I mis-heard.
There was some modern footage of a tubular mast of similar construction, was it Winter Hill?
Old 18th Oct 2021, 3:27 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
I've just watched this and found it quite good, but there was one reference to the 1964 tubular mast as 'the original', when it obviously wasn't. I don't think I mis-heard.
There was some modern footage of a tubular mast of similar construction, was it Winter Hill?
Well if it was the 'original' mast, then I not only remember the one before it, I can also see that one, where it now is, from my bedroom window.

Winter hill is, I believe, still standing and is still tubular. It has a load of chains suspended inside it as a resonance damper. Belmont, ditto.

David
Old 18th Oct 2021, 10:14 pm   #9
lightning
Heptode

Back in Christmas 1982 l was visiting family friends and they lived over the hill from Emley Moor.
I took a drive over to the mast, and got chatting to a technician who was working there. He offered to take me up to the top of the tower, and after deciding he wasn't going to murder me l got in the elevator and we went up to the round equipment room.

My over riding memories are of the height of course, but more the fact that you couldn't see the tower below you, which made it really scary.

lf l remember correctly there was also a ladder inside, goodness knows how long it would take to climb it.

lt was also quite claustrophobic inside the tower, looking up or down was a strange feeling. l once stood inside a cooling tower and didn't like that at all either.
Old 19th Oct 2021, 6:14 am   #10
Kentode
Octode

" Nine feet wide and almost as tall as the empire state building". It's a feat of engineering that it stayed up as long as it did!

The first picture is of a similar mast, compare it to the concrete replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211019_060549.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	243716   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211019_060339.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	243717   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211019_060406.jpg
Views:	125