UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Oct 2021, 1:59 pm   #1
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Default Test panel

Picked this up on my travels. Can someone confirm what I’m thinking. It would be one of two things or both. Used behind a counter to test bulbs or appliances or used in a tv / radio workshop for plugging in customer repairs. As it has different size round pin sockets.
I think at one time it’s been modified with extra wood and the bottom and it has a hard board back . Not sure if the Bulgin plug socket has been added.
Even Rosie cant work it out.
I will restore it as some sockets are damaged. Not that I’m going to use it has neutral fuseing as well Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ADD54C24-C71F-43DA-9BE8-E091D341867E.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	243665   Click image for larger version

Name:	64D7190C-A5E7-4E14-8573-6DB88C1EE953.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	243666   Click image for larger version

Name:	24E59EAE-A499-4471-83D3-FE3E1C899F78.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	243667  
Old 18th Oct 2021, 2:18 pm   #2

Default Re: Test panel

"And for customers with a plug that doesn't fit we have live mains screw terminals" this leads me to think it isn't quite up to modern standards. Worth restoring even if it is a demonstration of how not to do it (these days).

Old 18th Oct 2021, 2:20 pm   #3
barrymagrec
Octode

Looks as if the Bulgin connector was the input.

My Dad made something similar, though not so well finished, when he repaired customer sets back in the fifties.
Old 18th Oct 2021, 9:03 pm   #4
duncanlowe
Nonode

Doesn't look like the bulb testers we had at Woolies. Not enough bulb bases represented.

And more switches than connections? I could see it being to plug in customers devices, as some devices did connect via BC bulb bases. Could the plethora of switches be to reveres polarity / phase? Fuses in both legs also kind of push me towards it being DC era?

EDIT: that said, that's modernish plastic chocblock isn't it? And TBF the ply looks not that old. Some of the rebating has been done with a modern machine, I would say.

Last edited by duncanlowe; 18th Oct 2021 at 9:09 pm.
Old 20th Oct 2021, 8:50 am   #5
Brigham
Octode

I imagine anyone using a workbench would have made something like this.
Interesting that BS1363 isn't included. Makes me think that it's fairly recent, and for 'old' stuff. An enthusiast's board.
Old 20th Oct 2021, 8:44 pm   #6
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Thanks for your thoughts everyone Andy