UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Dec 2012, 3:18 am   #1
Eidolon
Hexode

Default Philips 22CS1002/05T TV. A few queries

Hi,
Just found this site via a search on a few things. Nice place, had a quick look around. I couldn't find any info on this Philips 22CS1002/05T TV anywhere, it's not even mentioned on any of the retro-sites I found. I guess it seems to be a bit of a rarity.

The set works, and I'm enjoying it, but I'd like to tweak it here and there if I could. It does have some quite drastic overscan, and also a bit of a red-heavy tint to the image. Is there any way I can sort these issues out?
The picture also has issues with vertical lines down the edges. It varies in both intensity and the number of lines when I use the set. They're a bit distracting. I have no idea what's causing them or if I can do anything to remve them?

Finally, I wanted to go out on a limb regarding the stand for this set; sadly it didn't have one. I can pretty much give up hope of finding a genuine stand, so I'm thinking of having one made. I believe they are called Trolley Stands. I just obtained a ITT 482 v2000 recorder, that I want to put under the set, and will also have to fit a VHS there as well. Are there any available plans, or guides on how to go about making a replica stand for this TV?

Thanks so much for the help
Old 6th Dec 2012, 11:25 am   #2
steviewonder
Tetrode

Default Re: Philips 22CS1002/05T TV. A few queries

Hi there. Your set uses the K30 chassis, which was a common set in the mid-1980s.

It has been many moons since I serviced one of these, but a soft CRT was a common issue. I also recall a 4.7uF blue capacitor just to the left of the focus control giving problems.

There's plenty of service info available out there for the K30 but alas, I have forgotten most of the remedies for this set. However, they're easy to service and very very reliable when working.
Hope this helps somewhat.

Regards, Steve
Old 7th Dec 2012, 10:38 am   #3
MALC SCOTT
Octode

If the overscan is horizontal check for dry joints around the loptx area. Could be one of the e/w diodes are faulty. If it is vertical overscan it may just need the height adjusting. The 4.7mfd 250v rgb h.t smoothing cap will need replacing. This will improve the picture quality. This is located at the top of the chassis near the focus pot.
Very good sets, they plod on for years with little trouble, Malc.
Old 7th Dec 2012, 12:29 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALC SCOTT View Post
The 4.7mfd 250v rgb h.t smoothing cap will need replacing. This will improve the picture quality.
I had one of these caps virtually O/C giving the appearance of a very poor CRT. Once replaced, the picture was transformed giving excellent results.

Rich.
Old 7th Dec 2012, 6:56 pm   #5
Eidolon
Hexode

Thanks for the help. I'm not very familiar with what all of this is, but I'm kind of 'getting there'.
The overscan is on both, there's no pcture distortion. I tried the THX optimizer, and found that the general overscan was close to the inner limit. Just need to zoom it out a bit on both horizontal and vertical, keeping the balance correct.

Are they any pictures of this set with its stand? I'd like to get an idea before I commission one. Thanks again.
Old 7th Dec 2012, 9:56 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Possibly a bit like this one, which is attached to a late 1970s G11-chassis model: http://www.philipstv.org.uk/blog/wp-...3/no-3-660.jpg

You'd be better off asking to buy one on the appropriate bit of this forum, rather than trying to make one, I would have thought. Also, have you looked on eBay?

Nick.
Old 7th Dec 2012, 10:59 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
Thanks for the help. I'm not very familiar with what all of this is, but I'm kind of 'getting there'.
The overscan is on both, there's no pcture distortion. I tried the THX optimizer,
errr?? WHAT is a THX optimizer? In 40 years in the trade (35 years in Philips), I've never heard of it.

You need to check basics here. The HT should be 140V. Overscan can be caused by a fault in the E/W modulator and as previously stated, dry joints around the line transformer. It possible that someone has tried to adjust controls to try and overcome the fault.

Rich.
Old 8th Dec 2012, 11:40 am   #8
Eidolon
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
errr?? WHAT is a THX optimizer? In 40 years in the trade (35 years in Philips), I've never heard of it.
a THX optimizer is a very basic image calibration tool that comes on any DVD carrying the THX logo. it's a good easy tool just to check issues with overscan, colour, sharpness and distortion.
regarding the stand, i've checked ebay both for an old TV and a stand for years, before finally getting this TV. old sets like this aren't easy to get, and when they are up, they're always collection only miles from here. I had to go for this one without a stand.
I don't know exactly how to search for a suitable stand. typing in TV stand brings up all kinds of rubbish.

What's HT? I'm still kind of figuring my way through all of this.

A THX Optimizer is a very basic image calibration tool that comes on any DVD carrying the THX logo. It's a good easy tool just to check issues with overscan, colour, sharpness and distortion.

Regarding the stand, I've checked ebay both for an old TV and a stand for years, before finally getting this TV. Old sets like this aren't easy to get, and when they are up, they're always collection only miles from here. I had to go for this one without a stand.

I don't know exactly how to search for a suitable stand. typing in TV stand brings up all kinds of rubbish.

Last edited by Station X; 10th Dec 2012 at 3:00 pm. Reason: Please get yourself a new keyboard with a working shift key.
Old 8th Dec 2012, 12:51 pm   #9
Eidolon
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Possibly a bit like this one, which is attached to a late 1970s G11-chassis model.
Just realized that the set in the link you posted is the actual set we had when I was a child. ( I think)

I'd have to have a stand slightly different, as I'd never fit the ITT V2000 recorder under that, let alone a VHS as well.
We had a very early top-loader VHS recorder briefly about 82ish I think. Huge thing with 'piano key' buttons, and we could fit it under the wooden cross-bar on our stand, so they must have made them in different heights?

Last edited by Station X; 10th Dec 2012 at 3:02 pm.
Old 9th Dec 2012, 8:33 pm   #10
ben
Dekatron

For long cable runs (over 5m), you must use only the best coax (double insulated), and ideally a booster amp near the aerial. If you plan to feed various rooms, it should have the required number of amplified outputs.
Old 9th Dec 2012, 10:30 pm   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
For long cable runs (over 5m), you must use only the best coax (double insulated),
Double-screened, surely, Ben
Old 9th Dec 2012, 10:47 pm   #12
ben
Dekatron

Oops! I was thinking of mains leads!
Anyway, talking of double screened coax, often, the best stuff is sold/described as 'satellite grade 'ultra low loss', or similar .
Old 10th Dec 2012, 3:11 pm   #13
Eidolon
Hexode

I have a booster box at the point where the aerial cable enters the house, under the floorboards. I can't access it directly. As far as I understand it, this coaxial cable is pretty good, it's from a place that fits aerials and dishes, it's not one of those thin ones that comes bundled with things.

Since I retuned the Freeview it seems much better. One or two are still showing problems for some reason. It could partly be down to the box, which I know isn't great. Just having an occasional problem with flickery top of image distortion on the 'VCR' channel (very occasional, and not constant, as on other channel inputs) for VHS input only, and some on?off high pitch buzzing, from the set.
The Aiwa VHS is a bit rubbish, and only temporary till my Panasonic comes back, so I won't concern myself with the issues there until I can double check things by plugging in the Panasonic first.
Old 10th Dec 2012, 3:34 pm   #14
ben
Dekatron

You need to look at how the various coax cables are joined. A lot of signal can get lost there if you don't use the right equipment and connectors.
Old 10th Dec 2012, 4:31 pm   #15
Eidolon
Hexode

As of yet, they're not joined, it's just running from the socket in the back room, which goes straight into the booster box from the aerial. I have a kit from B&Q to do it for when it's connected for real.

The set up will be

Booster box -> 3 way splitter (from existing cable) -> 1 cable to library room (never used as of yet) -> other cable being the 11m stretch that will run down via the cellar up to the retro TV.

I had a look today, and the only channel I can notice as missing is 'Yesterday' (channel 19). Worked fine last night after the re-tune. But the freeview itself is a bit ropey, so it might be that. There may be others not there, but I watch such a minimal amount of the channels, that I wouldn't notice a lot of them not being there.
Old 26th Dec 2012, 2:22 am   #16
Eidolon
Hexode

I'm starting to get the impression that this set is about to conk out. A couple of weeks ago it started giving off high pitched buzzing, quite loudly at first, but it subsides after a few seconds.
Now, today, it's been starting to have more picture problems. I get horizontal flashes of whiter (if that makes sense) and also horizontal colour flickering, almost like a bad cable connection.

I've been having a look around it, and the RF aerial lead seems to be inserted correctly. Unlike the top of image distortion, which only affected the VHS input, this is constant across VHS and other inputs (DVD or Freeview) bounced in via the VCR.

Is there any kind of link or consistency between these ever increasing issues? I'm clearly going to have to give the set some serious servicing. I'm hoping it's all pretty much down to one thing for convenience.

Can I also get the channel inputs modded for problem free video signal inputs? Channel 8 is labelled VCR, but I still get a minor bit of broken interlace skew along the top cm or two, but the other channels can't handle VCR input anymore, even though they did at first.

On another note, is there any kind of outside interference that may be to blame? I have the VCR, DVD, and an old style dial phone on top of the TV, and the neighbour has her LCD flatscreen on the other side of the wall.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 27th Dec 2012, 2:34 pm   #17
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
The most common cause of colour instability is the decoder board (top left as you look at the back of the set. It probably has a single IC on it which will be in a socket. Remove the board carefully (two clips to ease back), then remove the IC, gently polish the pins with a fibre brush or VERY fine (1200) wet and dry paper and re-insert. Treat the edge connector on the board to the same treatment and put the board back. That cures most intermittent colour and flashing faults.
The buzzing will be a choke rattiling and is annoying but not likely to cause any additional problems.
Glyn
Old 31st Dec 2012, 9:01 pm   #18
Eidolon
Hexode

Thanks

The repair shop who has my V2000 machine are going to come and have a look at it later in January now. It'll be the only TV I can use at home for a couple of weeks, so I'll just use it as is for now.
Old 1st Jan 2013, 4:20 pm   #19
AidanLunn
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
High Tension. (Another name for High Voltage, simply)

Generally, there are three terms you will see with voltage rails in TV sets - LT (Low), HT (High - also has high current, be careful should you need to do a bit of operating on the set yourself. Use your common sense not to get shocked by it.) Then EHT (Extra High) - in sets of this era, the amperage of this stage of the set is low enough to the extent that it's much safer (note: not "safe" - I said *safer*) to come into contact with than the HT line is.

Sets of about 30-40 years previous to your set are totally different (most importantly, they are much less safe) beasts and should not be messed about with until you have gained enough experience servicing sets of the above kind, but as of this moment you are not dealing with such a set anyway. Just thought I'd mention it in case you're considering getting a much older set, too.
Old 31st Jan 2013, 10:47 pm   #20
Eidolon
Hexode

Just want to drop a couple of quick questions in.

Does anybody by any chance know what year this set is from?

And also, regarding the trolley stand. I'm due to have my front windows double glazed in just over a month, so I'm sending the TV in for servicing and I'll get a stand made up at the same time. May as well, as I need to get it away from the window. How does the stand fit to this model? I originally assumed that the TV just bolted onto the top of the 'legs', but doing an online search for trolley stands a couple of weeks back, I found a picture of one that had a solid wooden 'table top', which the TV clearly sits on. I don't know what TV that particular stand was designed for.

Could somebody just help me out a bit, before I go about getting one made up?

Thanks for the help
Closed Thread