UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Repair and Restoration Services Wanted

Notices

Repair and Restoration Services Wanted If you need someone to repair or restore equipment for you please post your request here.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jul 2023, 4:46 pm   #1
bobdylansbarber
Diode

Default Hacker Sov II in Ayrshire in need!

Does anyone know of a business (or individual) in the Ayrshire area that might be able to repair a SOV II? Any steers gratefully received (unlike my radio which isnt receiving anything!)

Ian
Old 16th Jul 2023, 8:05 am   #2
agardiner
Octode

Default Re: Hacker Sov II in Ayrshire in need!

Welcome to the forum. There seems to be a lack of repair people in your area, and I get quite a bit from Scotland shipped to me. Your set can be safely shipped.

Very happy to repair it for you if you are prepared to send?
Old 16th Jul 2023, 8:37 am   #3
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
I'll PM you shortly.
Old 16th Jul 2023, 3:00 pm   #4
murphyv310
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by agardiner View Post
Welcome to the forum. There seems to be a lack of repair people in your area, and I get quite a bit from Scotland shipped to me. Your set can be safely shipped.

Very happy to repair it for you if you are prepared to send?
That's very odd.
I've been doing repairs for many years with vintage items as was Norman Raeburn, Bob Baird and at least three in Glasgow, Norman has given up and Bob Baird passed sadly but I'm still around and I believe one in Glasgow but not on this forum.
I used to be in the list of repairers, will need to check and see though.
I do tend to limit the amount of work though.
I'll leave it to the OP who he wants to repair the set.
Old 17th Jul 2023, 11:01 am   #5
David Simpson
Nonode

I would fully recommend Trevor, I've kent him for a number of years - he's "The Man".
I'm clocking-on now (78 next week), and like Norman, not in the repair scene any more. However, should someone up my way have something interesting & rare, I'll maybe take the following action :-

a) Offer "here's the good news, here's the bad" advice regarding their item

b) Offer someone VR repair mentoring advice. Hopefully encouraging them to become "new blood" in the VR fraternity.

c) Pass them on to experts like Trevor

Regards, David
Old 17th Jul 2023, 3:35 pm   #6
agardiner
Octode

Good to know Trevor. Will keep it in mind when I get queries.

Regards,
Old 22nd Jul 2023, 9:49 am   #7
bobdylansbarber
Diode

Thanks for the offer Adrian, but I am all set with Trevor. I even got to meet him and see inside his shed full of wonders! Ian
Old 23rd Jul 2023, 9:20 am   #8
agardiner
Octode

Lovely, that's good to hear.
Old 24th Jul 2023, 10:19 pm   #9
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi Chaps.
Well I have the radio here and its a chan of disasters. I very much feel for Ian having been sold a pup.
On first inspection while Ian was here I found two electrolytic caps hanging by loose wire on the audio board, also a suspicious lead from under the audio PCB to the speaker. Before I did anything I fitted new caps and removed the lead that went to the bias pot to the speaker. This restored proper operation of the audio amp but no AM or FM. I Noted a blown liquorice cap which had morphed into a 1.3K resistor so that was replaced but still hadn't noticed the state of the cores in the IF stages. All was revealed when I looked for AM oscillator output, nothing zilch! I then saw the core was way out of the can, it had been chewed and no slot was seen, i did manage to remove it and i fitted another that when screwed in restored MW oscillator, LW though nothing. At that point I looked at the IF's most were badly chewed on the FM section but worst to come on the AM IF amp with one former totally broken and others in a very bad state.
I don't have any of these parts to complete the repair but I also think its been subjected to excess voltage at some point, hence the dangling electrolytic caps and the blown cap on the IF board.

I've contacted Ian with the bad news and suggested he collects the radio as I feel it's BER.
Closed Thread