UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd May 2021, 4:45 pm   #1
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default "Columbia" brand radiogram: Who made it?

Spotted today in Sue Ryder near Skelton, North Yorkshire, a late sixties / seventies, probably transistorised stereo radiogram very much in the style of HMV units of the same period. Not in bad physical condition, although I tried to turn the deck and found it jammed solid so the deck at least needs attention. Even back in the early eighties when I did work on brown goods like this, I used to have to dismantle and regrease decks.

I worked on items like this for about five years and saw my fair share of Thorn units, but I don't remember this 'Columbia' brand. Who made those?

(I'm aware that 'Columbia' was also a prominent record label around that time - not sure if the branding was the same though.)
Old 3rd May 2021, 5:09 pm   #2
usradcoll1
Heptode

Default Re: "Columbia" brand radiogram: Who made it?

Is it a US or Japanese issue?
In the US, Columbia records badged their radiograms with the name "Columbia."
The units made in Japan were badged "Nippon Columbia" including the old Columbia logo.
BTW, is the record deck a BSR? The grease they used was more like glue.
I almost ruined the plastic platter with penetrating oil. I finally used a bit of heat to free it up.
Dave, USradcoll1
Old 3rd May 2021, 5:31 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

If it is an original 'Columbia' as sold in UK, I think it was a name used by one of the department stores. Not sure which one but if that is the case, it was probably made by Plessey.

If it is as late as you suggest, then it's probably Chinese and the name was just 'badge engineering'.
Old 3rd May 2021, 6:37 pm   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I've never met a '60s/'70s Columbia radiogram, but the first four results I'm seeing from a Google image search for Columbia radiograms are from that period, and have to me a very Thorn-y look to them. I do have a Columbia radiogram, but it's from 1929, pre-dating even the EMI connection.

Paul
Old 3rd May 2021, 11:53 pm   #5
Techman
Dekatron

I worked on a Columbia radiogram for someone a few years ago and it had a single speed 78rpm EMI deck fitted. It would have been dated around 1950. I remember that the chassis was cut for older, larger valve bases, but was actually fitted with B9A bases, so a transitional model. I may even have a picture of it somewhere if I look hard enough.
Old 4th May 2021, 12:44 am   #6
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I agree with Paul_RK that it looked rather Thorn, I was really expecting to see an HMV badge on it.

Attached, a found image of a very similar / identical unit, but the one in the image has a later BSR deck than the one fitted in 'my' example which I think has a BSR deck as well - I would say an earlier one - plainer, more curves / rounded corners on the tonearm and no silver line along the top of the arm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Columbia_RadioGram.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	233217  
Old 4th May 2021, 1:15 am   #7
Techman
Dekatron

I've found the pictures of the 'old' Columbia radiogram from 10 years ago:-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040987.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	233218   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040988.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	233219   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040989.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	233220   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040984.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	233221   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040990.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	233222  

Old 4th May 2021, 8:15 am   #8
Radio Wrangler

Techman's photos are of a set from a relatively narrow period.

All-glass miniature valves had arrived, on the B8A base which got going in the early-middle fifties, but it isn't so late that microgroove records had arrived. It has a 78rpm only turntable.

It also pre-dates VHF/FM broadcasting.

The cabinet styling and that turntable make it look earlier than those valves say it is.

Quite an interesting set, from a period when a lot of changes were happening. Whoever bought it new was probably soon disappointed when microgroove records and FM radio came along. These sets were major purchases and a family would have to live with their choice for quite some time.

david
Old 4th May 2021, 8:41 am   #9
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Thorn/Ferguson had been making HMV and Marconiphone sets under licence from EMI since around 1957/8, when EMI ceased their in-house manufacture. This was initially done through a jointly owned company set up for the purpose: British Radio Corporation.

The Thorn/Ferguson made and Columbia branded sets were either made for EMI or EMI licensed the brand to Thorn for other reasons - perhaps for overseas sales?
Old 4th May 2021, 8:52 am   #10
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

From my experience of these, they were made by Thorn and were contemporaneous with the vinyl wrapped HMV, Marconiphone, Ultra, Ferguson branded units of the time. All used basic BSR Autochangers, similar flimsy PCB chassis and those ubiquitous 8" x 5" speakers. I think these were branded as such to sell through alternative UK outlets, typically Furniture Stores.
Old 4th May 2021, 8:59 am   #11
barrymagrec
Octode

The chassis looks EMI ish, the B8A valveholders look to be bodged into octal / B8G holes.

The mains transformer does not look EMI but possibly a replacement.
Old 4th May 2021, 12:05 pm   #12
kirstyd
Heptode

The controls are laid out exactly like the HMV /Marconiphone/Ferguson equivalent
Old 4th May 2021, 12:29 pm   #13
barretter
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Techman's photos are of a set from a relatively narrow period.

All-glass miniature valves had arrived, on the B8A base which got going in the early-middle fifties, but it isn't so late that microgroove records had arrived. It has a 78rpm only turntable.

david
B8A is the technical name for rimlock valve holders. Rimlock valves like the ECC40 were certainly around by 1948. 1948 is also the year that American Columbia introduced the microgroove LP. They didn't arrive in the UK until 1950 (Decca), were very expensive and didn't become popular until the mid-1950s.
Old 4th May 2021, 12:50 pm   #14
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstyd View Post
The controls are laid out exactly like the HMV /Marconiphone/Ferguson equivalent
Kirsty, are you referring to the 'recent' (late sixties / early seventies) unit which was the original subject of the thread, or to Techman's older unit?
Old 4th May 2021, 2:51 pm   #15
barretter
Heptode

There was a Columbia Stereogram from the period in question (model no. 5396) made by the British Radio Corporation (part of Thorn) which has been discussed on this forum before. It uses the EMI Columbia "Magic Notes" logo. Presumably EMI had been acquired by, or were in partnership with, Thorn by this time.
Old 4th May 2021, 6:27 pm   #16
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Ah, this thread for example:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=153130

The example in that thread has a deck more similar to the Sue Ryder example than the one in my found image in #6.

Anyway, my original question seems to have been answered. It does seem certain to be a Thorn, which was my original impression.
Old 4th May 2021, 6:48 pm   #17
kirstyd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstyd View Post
Kirsty, are you referring to the 'recent' (late sixties / early seventies) unit which was the original subject of the thread, or to Techman's older unit?
yes i am referring to the late 60s model .We have one of these in one of our older people complexes .its used [before pandemic] regularly for playing 78s and big band dance music
Old 5th May 2021, 11:08 pm   #18
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
Thorn/Ferguson had been making HMV and Marconiphone sets under licence from EMI since around 1957/8,
I think I would also add Alba to that list, too. I once had an Alba radiogram similar in style to the long, low gram shown in post #6, the radio panel looked exactly the same, although the lid opening was very different.

I think this thread will be a useful archive for anyone searching for Columbia radiogram information, as they do seem to be quite rare compared to the other brands. It would be interesting to see Paul_RK's 1929 model - well for me it would be, anyway.
Old 5th May 2021, 11:22 pm   #19
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post

It also pre-dates VHF/FM broadcasting.

Whoever bought it new was probably soon disappointed when microgroove records and FM radio came along.
Yes, I've often thought this regarding how the buyers must have felt when their expensive purchase became obsolete within only a year or two of buying it and it seems that a lot of people bought these grams from around 1947 to 1951(ish), perhaps a couple of years after recovering from the war and with a new optimism for the future.

I'd forgotten that the valves in that gram were rimlock eight pin and not nine pin until I looked at my pictures. I seem to remember now my memory has been jogged that there was something strange about that transformer maybe not being original, as it turned out it had shorted turns on the primary and had to be replaced - there's quite a story to the repair of that particular radiogram. It's still with the same person and still working, last I heard.
Old 6th May 2021, 12:15 am   #20
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
It would be interesting to see Paul_RK's 1929 model - well for me it would be, anyway.
Happy to oblige. I've owned it for quite a while without making any move toward restoring it to operation, which would require a little ingenuity as the missing output valve and rectifier are very unusual types: output a PX650, power triode with 6 volt heater, and if I remember rightly the rectifier has the oddity of an 8 volt heater (or was it 7.5?)

As the third picture shows, a narrow panel in front of the turntable can be removed to give access to the two HF valves: and the two whitish objects in photo 5 are indeed wired ceramic fuses.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	col1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	233386   Click image for larger version

Name:	col2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	233387   Click image for larger version

Name:	col3.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	233388   Click image for larger version

Name:	col4.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	233389   Click image for larger version

Name:	col5.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	233390  

Last edited by Paul_RK; 6th May 2021 at 12:41 am.
Closed Thread