UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd May 2021, 1:27 pm   #1
B.Taylor
Tetrode

Default HMV 5A Soundbox.

Hello,

Does anyone know how to correctly adjust the needle arm bearing screws on a 5A soundbox.
I adjusted mine to just take out any free play but I don't think it sounds that great. Should there be a bit of tension in the bearings?

Thanks, Bill
Old 3rd May 2021, 6:54 pm   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV 5A Soundbox.

No, there should be no tension at all in the bearings. Neither should there be any side-play. The needle bar must be held by the end bearings just enough to be able to swing freely, but with no side to side movement. An awkward thing to achieve without a good bit of playing around, because when you get the bearings to exactly the right place, inserting the large cover screws turns the bearings as well, making them too tight. You need three hands!

Barry
Old 4th May 2021, 10:35 pm   #3
B.Taylor
Tetrode

Thanks very much for the info Barry.
That is how I have tried to set mine up. Needle arm rocks freely with no side play. It seems to lack bass though. Gramophone is an HMV 163
Is there anything else that could cause this?

Bill
Old 5th May 2021, 9:45 am   #4
Audio1950
Dekatron

A 163 should have plenty of bass! Is this a machine that is new to you? If it is, check that someone in the past hasn't stuffed something in the arm in an attempt to muffle the volume.

Barry
Old 6th May 2021, 11:08 pm   #5
B.Taylor
Tetrode

Yes it is new to me.
The tone arm is clear.
I will remove the grill this weekend and see if anyone has stuffed anything in the horn.
Bill
Closed Thread