UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Sep 2020, 2:22 pm   #21
Mooly
Octode

Default Re: Free Sky Arts channel

Looks like we could be up and running... new channel line-up and channels now showing on Winter Hill.

Curiously COM7, the 'temporary' HDD MUX has been missing today. Maybe it has finally been turned off.
Old 17th Sep 2020, 2:54 pm   #22
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I have just selected channel 11 to check. After a few seconds of what I assume was Pick - with a superimposed message that Pick has moved to channel 34, I was then taken to the programme on Sky Arts. Channel 34, however, doesn't seem to be present, the online programme guide going straight from 33 to 35. Presumably, a retune will be necessary if I want to access Pick on 34.

My signal comes from the Caldbeck transmitter in Cumbria.
Old 17th Sep 2020, 3:21 pm   #23
Mooly
Octode

You will have to retune, if you don't you get the superimposed message.

Both channels seem correct on Winter Hill now but still no COM 7 which carried NEWS 24 and BBC4 in HD among others. It was due to close but nobody knew when... maybe today is the day.
Old 17th Sep 2020, 3:24 pm   #24
Aub
Nonode

Just as an aside to all this, if one does a manual search instead of an auto scan, where does one find the information about what to input?

Thanks

Aub
Old 17th Sep 2020, 4:24 pm   #25
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Perhaps.
https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/manually-retune-tv
Old 17th Sep 2020, 4:33 pm   #26
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post

Both channels seem correct on Winter Hill now but still no COM 7 which carried NEWS 24 and BBC4 in HD among others. It was due to close but nobody knew when... maybe today is the day.
The Freeview checker shows Winter Hill COM 7 available as 17th Sept on ch 55. It’s in HD so I can’t check it as my TV only has a SD decoder.
This in my location, perhaps com 7 has limited coverage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F81815ED-B128-47E2-854A-830CD4B940B5.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	215863  
Old 17th Sep 2020, 5:46 pm   #27
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I've just done a retune and it's on Sutton Coldfield replacing Pick.

I've had a quick look through the EPG and there are some interesting programmes on there. They seem to repeat on a cycle, a bit like Radio 4 Extra.

I shall have a look at Simon Rattle with the Berlin Phil and Haitink with the LSO, spotted progammes on early Picasso and other art things with Tim Marlow, and documentaries on Jimi Hendrix and Karen Carpenter which look worth a watch. There seems some interesting stuff on there and I can flick between it and BBC4, especially when the usual done to death repeats are on. (What are Eastenders repeats from 2008 doing on BBC4? Don't answer that! OT!)

It remains to be seen how much of any programme is taken up by ads – hopefully not as bad as the likes of Yesterday – if too time-consuming I'll resort to the recorder.

Apologies if this is a stupid question but are these Tales of The Unexpected the Roald Dhal stories?
Old 17th Sep 2020, 6:05 pm   #28
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I watch Sky Arts now and again mainly for the good music documentaries, it is part of my Virgin Media cable package.

As others have stated it is very repetitive.
Old 17th Sep 2020, 6:17 pm   #29
Aub
Nonode

I find that Freeview checker totally frustrating.
I'll search for a listing of channels and their details elsewhere

Thanks
Aub
Old 17th Sep 2020, 6:17 pm   #30
Mooly
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post

The Freeview checker shows Winter Hill COM 7 available as 17th Sept on ch 55. It’s in HD so I can’t check it as my TV only has a SD decoder.
This in my location, perhaps com 7 has limited coverage.
Thanks Frank.

It just seemed a bit of a coincidence it should happen today because it has been fine up until now despite its very low power output. I had heard it rumoured that November this year was the switch off point but reliable info is sketchy.

...and I've just heard back this minute that COM7 is alive and well and the reason is a pure coincidence and is down to this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/help...ng-on-freeview
Old 17th Sep 2020, 6:55 pm   #31
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Tropo, yes we have high pressure weather system just now. I had heard November for the switch off but I can’t receive it so not really of a problem for me.
My friend across the street has just had a new aerial fitted, the old one was group C and was causing lots of problems with reception since August. The elements are much bigger, not sure if it’s a group A or T but it dwarfs the little contract group C aerial the next door neighbour has on the same chimney stack. It doesn’t appear to have many elements but Winter Hill line of sight on the hill is about 8km away.
Old 17th Sep 2020, 7:12 pm   #32
akuram1
Pentode

Sky Arts from time to time have some wonderful Andre Rui concerts which makes it worth it alone.
Old 17th Sep 2020, 7:13 pm   #33
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Now watching on Tyneside on Freeview 11 after a retune. Looks like some interesting stuff coming up. Thanks to DW for flagging this up, I would not have been aware of it otherwise.
Old 17th Sep 2020, 7:41 pm   #34
barretter
Heptode

Ironically, now that Sky Arts has moved to Freeview 11 it is no longer available on my TalkTalk TV package and as I live in a Freeview "Lite" area I can no longer watch it as Freeview 11 is not broadcast by my local relay transmitter. I always laugh a hollow laugh when Freeview boasts about how many channels it provides. Freeview "Lite" is a joke.
Old 17th Sep 2020, 7:54 pm   #35
Mooly
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
My friend across the street has just had a new aerial fitted.....................
It seems around here (Fylde coast) that most riggers are fitting Log Periodics which in a way is a good choice as they have less wind loading. The downside is a much lower forward gain than a good Yagi although they do have very good rejection of interference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-09-17 195441.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	215879  
Old 17th Sep 2020, 8:39 pm   #36
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I've got SA [11] and Pick [34] in the right places after re-tunes here in the SE but that was also to pick up everything else out there and avoid more messages about new stations being found. There may be a simple [non OT] explanation for Eastenders being on BBC4 Nick [post 27*]. I think there was a bit of a panic on when episodes [already in the can] began to run out [before they had organised socially distanced filming] so they ran 'selected' earlier episodes. I thought those were in the usual BBC1 slot but maybe they were shown on BBC4? I don't recall that though I presume they would have automatically gone to I-Player as well!

Dave W

I'm also very keen to see the unusual Hendrix Doc and there was one about Brian Jones on the new FV Smithsonian channel [this Tuesday]. I'm pretty sure "Tales of the Unexpected" will be Roald Dahl. These are on TPTV [81] which seems to be "influencing" to put it politely, a surprising number of other channels from it's humble, vintage, user friendly base!

Last edited by dave walsh; 17th Sep 2020 at 8:56 pm.
Old 17th Sep 2020, 10:40 pm   #37
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by barretter View Post
Ironically, now that Sky Arts has moved to Freeview 11 it is no longer available on my TalkTalk TV package and as I live in a Freeview "Lite" area I can no longer watch it as Freeview 11 is not broadcast by my local relay transmitter. I always laugh a hollow laugh when Freeview boasts about how many channels it provides. Freeview "Lite" is a joke.
That's very annoying.

Would it be worth getting a Freesat dish?

(I'm assuming it's on Freesat though TBF I don't know how much duplication there is between the two services.)

And echo SiriusHardware: Thank you DW – I watch little TV and only a couple of channels – I wouldn't have known about it either.
Old 18th Sep 2020, 8:44 am   #38
Dai Corner
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by barretter View Post
That's very annoying.

Would it be worth getting a Freesat dish?

(I'm assuming it's on Freesat though TBF I don't know how much duplication there is between the two services.)

And echo SiriusHardware: Thank you DW – I watch little TV and only a couple of channels – I wouldn't have known about it either.
Yes it is on Freesat - channel 147.
Old 18th Sep 2020, 6:35 pm   #39
electronicskip
Nonode

No retune needed here both channels in correct positions 11/34
Old 18th Sep 2020, 6:41 pm   #40
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

One thing I notice is that Sky Arts on Freeview does not seem to participate in the 'Freeview Play' catchup scheme in which you can stream content from the past week on a suitably equipped receiver box, which is a pity. Or is that only a limitation of my particular box? (Panasonic 820 HDD/Optical recorder here).
Closed Thread