UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Sep 2020, 5:10 pm   #1
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Baird studio equipment removal from AP after losing to EMI

Good afternoon,
I was thinking last night about the EMI all electronic system versus the Baird system trials at Alexandra Palace back in 1936. After the Baird system was dropped, how long did the equipment survive at AP before being removed? I presume no further testing was undertaken and that it was then considered obsolete and none survives. I presume that the BBC wanted the space taken by the Baird equipment back at AP for expansion and to re equip the Baird studio.

Christopher Capener
Old 10th Sep 2020, 10:01 pm   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Baird studio equipment removal from AP after losing to EMI

The intermediate film camera was re-discovered in 1996, it's an interesting read
Pages 16-21
https://www.bvws.org.uk/publications...5_Alive_29.pdf
Old 11th Sep 2020, 7:29 pm   #3
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Thanks for opening this thread Christopher. I have an ongoing interest in JL Baird which was reinforced by discovering he had lived here in Bexhill during WW2 until his poor health overcame him and he died in June 1946. I'd had no idea about that previously or Bexhill for that matter Sadly, that was just before he was about to reveal a new [electronic] colour TV system in London I've wondered what happened to that, non-mechanical technology] in much the same way!

The link to 405 Alive was really interesting, so my thanks for that as well Rambo. The on-line Archive that has been put together is really excellent and accessible. I do have a preference for "hard copy" magazines though, so if anyone has some 405 Alive issues available... please send me a PM.

Dave W
Old 11th Sep 2020, 8:24 pm   #4
wd40addict
Octode

https://vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=131081
Old 12th Sep 2020, 10:09 am   #5
phildil
Pentode

There is a fascinating book "Here's Looking At You" describing the very early years of the BBC Television Service from the first 30-line tests up to the outbreak of WWII:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heres-Looki.../dp/0563201029

"Come and Be Televised! indeed. ISTR reading that when the Baird system was decomissioned and scrapped in Feb 1937 (apart from the camera itself, as we now know), Studio B was never fully re-equipped: it was used mainly as a storeroom but occasionally for complex productions when extra space was needed a camera would be wheeled round from A on a long lead for insert shots, and for example the famous 1954 production of 1984 had an orchestra in B playing the incidental music whilst the action took place in A. All live of course.

cheers
Phil
Old 13th Sep 2020, 12:23 pm   #6
Vintage_RC
Heptode

Thanks for the link, I've just ordered the book
Old 13th Sep 2020, 2:24 pm   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Yes thanks from me as well Phil. This one has somehow passed me buy but I shall "rectify" that and get my glamorous assistant [wife] to put it on the Amazon list. It was a good thought that Christopher came up with!

Dave
Old 17th Sep 2020, 8:27 pm   #8
Nanozeugma
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_RC View Post
Thanks for the link, I've just ordered the book
Ditto
Old 17th Sep 2020, 8:41 pm   #9
peter_scott
Dekatron

You can see the upper part of the IF bay windowed area in the film "Train of Events" after it had been re-equipped as Studio B control room.

See: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...rain+of+events

I would assume that BTL would have wanted to recover their vision transmitter and studio equipment shortly after the final BTL transmission in February 1937.

The photo below was taken in December 1984 (Last 405 line Queen's Christmas Message) Reception from Kirk o' Shotts via a small frequency changer Ch3 to Ch1.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Q3 (Medium).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	215885   Click image for larger version

Name:	md22620131297.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	215886  

Last edited by peter_scott; 17th Sep 2020 at 9:02 pm.
Closed Thread